Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is the base of your runewords?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JKS, Aug 16, 2010.

1. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

What is the base of your runewords?

I have doubts mostly about the following:

Fortitude (I am leaning mostly towards Archon plate - low requirements and decent defense. But OTOH both my barb and pal - the most likely users might easily get 232 str for Sacred armor. However if decide I want it on a zon/merc/ maybe even assassin 232 is a bit too much).

Exile - I just found very good exceptional base - perfect resists ethereal, defense is more or less same as elite, but if I ever give it to a smiter, it will be bad.

CtA - it is 99% going to be used for BO, but the other stats are too good.
    OTOH it has to be used by low str chars. What do you advise here?

Beast - unlikely to make it in the forseeble future, because my first 2 Bers will go for Infinity, so self-finding a 3rd Ber might take forever. By the time I make it only my skelliemancer will benefit from it. So the common sense says I should go for low str item, but the dmg mods are just nice, I can't imagine I will put it in anything else than a Berserker Axe.

Infinity - I already have 4 sock eth thresher. Should I look for something else? My merc will use some helm with 15 IAS and may be no IAS on the armor.

I have already made my mind about:
    Grief - phase blade
    Death - Berserker axe
    Harmony - Great bow

I plan to use Highlord amulet, but for now I have Metalgrid. How the Iron Golem mod on it is working together with the Iron Golem on Oath? Do you use it at all? I can't imagine I can spare a runeword or high end unique to make a golem out of it, but may be excess of low end uniques or rares are good idea? If the merc tanks well and I do not die much is it worth bothering at all with the Iron golem?

Please share your ideas.

2. Concerned

Concerned Diabloii.Net Member

Re: What is the base of your runewords?

My (extremely humble and not to be taken too seriously as what do I really know about it) opinion is thus:

- Fortitude: Archon plate all the way, I can pretty much guarantee you will build a low str physical damage dealing toon at some point, and you will regret the sacred armor decision.

- Exile: You just have to ask yourself how likely it is that you will ever make a smiter, which basically amounts to the question - Do you ever see yourself building a pvp smiter? Since we lack ubers here on sp I can't see any other reason why you would want one...

- CtA: There will usually be a better damage dealing weapon for your toon, flail ftw!

- Beast: I really don't think a ber investment is worth it for a single toon, far better just to get your fishy to the minimum required strength for a BA.

- Infinity: Eth Thresher works but personally when I get the wealth it's going on a non-eth thresher. I just don't think the extra hitting power on my merc is worth it over the possibility that I might make a polearm wielding tesladin one day :) . After all once you have infinity your primary is unlikely to need the extra damage on your merc.

One noobs opinion :whistling: .

3. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Rhyme shield. Alomst all of my characters make one.

4. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

rhyme, obedience, insight, spirit and so on are rather common, so basically you make one in whatever you find and replace with another base if you change your mind.

5. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

'Fortitude' - your future Druid/Amazon/Assassin might want to use it too, and certainly would not appreciate the steep STR requirement from Scared Armor. IMHO any elite light armor is good (I personally chose Wire Fleece because it looks awesome on several classes), but some medium armors are also acceptable.

'Exile' - Obviously you do not put it in an exceptional shield. :p Sacred Targe has the lowest STR requirement, highest block, but also a very wide range of damage. Sacred Rondache and Kurast Shield have tighter damage ranges, but have a steeper STR requirement and lower block. Avoid Vortex.

'Call to Arms' - Like Concerned said, there will be better weapons everywhere with similar stats. Crystal Sword/War Scepter/Flail/Double Axe as you see fit.

'Beast' - Berserker Axe all the way.

'Infinity' - Any elite ethereal polearm works. Non-eth if you wanna play around with it of course.

Iron Golem Charges - Don't bother. :p

6. o1d_dude

o1d_dude Diabloii.Net Member

My Forti is made in archon plate. Light but good defense. Appearance doesn't much matter to me.

My Infinity is in an eth thresher

One CtA in a Berserker Axe and the other in an Ettin Axe. Crystal sword would have been better but I play max block mostly so strength and dex are not an issue.

I have two Grief and both are in eth phase blades. Yes, shorter range but they are very fast and almost any char can wield with sufficient Dex. Berserker Axe requires much less Dex but there are harder to find and will bankrupt you if you don't run gold find on switch (dual Lem'd Ali Babas). My Ali's are Ist'd so the Grief PBs are okay.

Balrog blades were made for Oath barbs but cryptic swords work great for a pally.

just my 2 drachma and YOMV.

7. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

I feel like a noob, but how does this work exactly?

8. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Fortitude - light armor. You need it to have a low str requirement so other characters can use it.

CtA - low str.

Beast - Make it in a high damage weapon, though Berserker Axes are more popular.

Infinity - I don't know. I'd probably make it in an eth thresher, but there are reasons to make it non-eth.

No, they don't work together. And no, I don't use either.

Then use a low end one. =P Keep in mind that an IG from charges only lasts one game. When you start a new game, then IG won't be there (except for a nerco, of course).

Sure.

With charges, I suppose, but it's not going to be a big boon.

It doesn't. The only eth phase blades are those which are upgraded from eth dimensional blades, so you can't make an eth Grief PB.

9. o1d_dude

Phase blades have the "indestructible" mod so when they are ethereal they are still indestructible. That's the key here.

The Grief runeword doesn't include the "indestructible" mod so if you make it in an ethereal weapon, it will degrade and ultimately become useless.

If you make a Grief in a normal item, you will have to pay for repairs. Actually you will pay a LOT for repairs.

If you make the Grief in an indestructible ethereal weapon, you get the best of both worlds: No weapon degradation and no repair costs.

The phase blade doesn't do a lot of base damage but the + nnn damage from the Grief runeword is incredible for a single handed wep. Doesn't show up on the LCS either so you've just go to believe.

My Whirlwind TravHorker dual wields Grief phase blades with Ali Babas on switch for horking the Council.

10. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

Where on earth do you get ethereal Phase Blades?

11. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

:scratchchin: Either you're mistaken, or you've failed to tell us about the mod you're using.:whistling: No item with the 'indestructible' mod can drop as ethereal. The only way to get an eth indestructible item is to upgrade an eth dimensional blade to a phase blade or to make a runeword with the 'indestructible' mod in an eth item.

12. Serdash

Serdash Diabloii.Net Member

Shadowmaster. lololol

o1d_dude isn't just a name. He's pretty old. His mind has gone. Cut him some slack. :p

13. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

Archon plate for fort.

Infinity : depends if you give i to your merc ( eth tresher ) or plan on wielding it yourself for some build ( non eth weapon preferable then :) )

14. o1d_dude

Not sure about the shadowmaster part (is that some type of an editor?) but my mind is definitely gone! LOL!

Yes, the ethereal - indestructible thing is correct. I even looked at that while I was typing it and remotely wondered about it. My Oath is in an ethereal Cryptic sword...not the Grief.

In my defense, I'm on cold medicines and down with a fever....still.

I will attempt to correct.

Phase blades have the indestructible mod. No repair costs for an expensive runeword that does not have the indestructible mod.

An ethereal thresher does NOT have the indestructible mod. If you build a runeword that has the indestructible mod...say Infinity...it will last forever even tho it cannot be repaired. If such a runeword also gives charges...say Oath...you can exhaust the charges but they can never be replaced because -all together now- an ethereal weapon cannot be repaired.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  15. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

Ininifty isn't indestructible, od.

16. o1d_dude

Okay, That's it for me. No more posting until I'm off the cold meds.

My Infinity was made in an ethereal Thresher for my merc and the Infinity runeword is NOT INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Thanks to all who corrected my addled ramblings and apologies to those who may have been led astray by them.

Maybe I should just stick to posting in Eric's Memorial Bar.

17. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

Well I thought a few days and decided to go offensive.
    With my current setup in the first post, which will bring me more damage:
    - replacing oath with grief
    - replacing duriel with fortitude
    Might merc, slvl25 fanat, str around 250.