Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is Player Killer?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Mulhallah, May 17, 2008.

1. Mulhallah

Mulhallah IncGamers Member

What is Player Killer?

Greetings -

Someone warned me about players joining my games that are PK and TPPK(?) - a Player Killer. What is that? How can someone kill me in my own game? I understand that duels are between people who party up and then one goes Hostile on the other. Can someone I party with decide to go hostile and kill me, even if I don't want to duel?

I'd also heard this referred to with "bots" and Baal run "bot" games. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

2. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Anyone over level 8 I think can hostile another such player. It's purely one sided so even if you don't want to be hostiled, you don't have a choice. There are players that like to join games simply to kill everyone else ingame, so keep an eye out for such people. Normally they are a higher level than everyone else ingame. If you don't want to duel then the best thing to do when hostiled is simply TP back to town and wait them out. They'll leave eventually if no one is around to fight.

3. Aien

Aien IncGamers Member

Re: What is Player Killer?

People most definitely can hostile and kill you in your own game. It's actually not too uncommon on battle.net, you're fortunate that you haven't come across it yet. But yes, some make a sport out of befriending someone, then when they're least expecting, hostile and kill them.

Baal run bots are automated characters with noone at the wheel designed to do Baal runs. You may have heard of hostiling and PKing in that context because some people like to try and kill the bots. I've never been in such a game, but supposedly many bots are programmed to leave the game when attacked.

It's best to just be very careful when playing open battle.net games. If you're worried someone may try and PK you, you may be right, be ready to defend yourself or leave the game pronto.

4. fauxgtfour

fauxgtfour IncGamers Member

Also--- on soft core games, its not the end of the world if someone kills you. You lose your gold, and you get annoyed, but the can't steal your items or anything.

If you are hard core, then PK's are a serious issue. Because when you die... your dead. On WscL the PK's aren't too bad. I've only seen half a dozen in the games (and I play a lot of public) and only been killed twice.

5. Mulhallah

Mulhallah IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't realized someone could go Hostile if you hadn't made/joined a party with them and it wasn't a mutual decision. Good to know.