Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what is perm. ?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by FlyingPerson, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingPerson

FlyingPerson IncGamers Member

what is perm. ?

Hi:

can anyone tell me what is perm. ?

ppl said you should get into trade screen, put your rune on ur trading screen, then the other person press accept, you press esc to cancel trade, and leave the game as quick as possible...? They said that is call perm...
    but what is that for? I am totally confuse.....

2. zXz

zXz IncGamers Member

from what i was told it prevents duped runes from disappearing.

3. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

No clue, but another way that d2 players use the word perm is to describe playing a character for 2 hours so that they become "permanent". The "expires in X days" script disappears, and after that, if you don't play it for 3 months (I think), it is erased.

4. FlyingPerson

reli? that sounds nice...

5. zXz

zXz IncGamers Member

thats what I was told. no clue if its true or not

6. chrisng

chrisng IncGamers Member

I thought perming only worked in 1.09, but not in 1.10 anymore

and I think it prevents anything that can be duped from disappearing

7. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

From what I gather (I don't play Bnet) perming is the act of trying to make something that is duped into something that is permanent.

That something usually being high runes.

If you slap them duped runes into Enigma etc ... then the Bnet ruststorm may erase your prized item/runes.

I understand that people will primarily cube two duped runes or one duped and one legit rune into the next higher rune hopefully changing it's "fingerprint" or it's status from duped to legit. Thus preserving your item.

I'm sure that there are other methods as well whether real or perceived.

A search will come up with a ton of threads i'm sure.

8. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

Okay, what the original poster was talking about will not perm a rune. And I believe further discussion about what it may actually do is not something I'll discuss here.

9. FlyingPerson

Can you please tell me where will you discuss about the right way then???

I had already lost a Ber, a Lo and 2 soj.....its so disappointing when you trade ur legit godly item for results like that....

Is "perm" consider as cheat? and is that why you dont wanna discuss in here?

10. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

Don't trade away your stuff away for nothing and expect it to still be there the next game. The only way to make sure that a rune you trade for is not a duplicate is to upgrade it to the next level higher rune.

11. nightaswz

nightaswz IncGamers Member

umm perming actually works.. i had a Lo that was apparently duped since it poofed on me.. however, i permed it once and the rune lasted around three months. Basically if u do that everytime u enter the game with the char holding the Lo, the rune wont disappear/poof

To perm, you enter any game and get someone to trade you. When the trade screen appears, you hit esc and exit the game

12. FlyingPerson

THANKS A LOT!

13. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

u dont need to put the item into the trade screen, just whenever u have something which may be a dupe on ur character, just always enter trade screen and leave the game fast and there is a 99% chance it will still be there next time :D

14. soonborn

soonborn IncGamers Member

This is correct.

All game items that arent white have an ID tag. Runes also have these. When someone leaves a game bnet scans all items in the game to check for dupes. If it finds one it flags it for deletion. This deletion will occur when you exit the game. There is no way to tell if an item you have is flagged or not. The only way around it is to open a trade screen with someone. As soon as it opens hit ESC then Insert to quickly exit the game. There is no need to place anything in the trade window. You must do this anytime you are in a game where it is possible that someone else has the same dupe. What this does is simply remove the deletion flags for any items you have. Remember though you must be the first to exit the game after this, if someone beats you then they will trigger a new scan upon exiting and your item may get flagged again. You have to perm this way every game you join, carrying the suspected dupe, that has other players in it. If your going solo then there is no need to worry.

The best way to avoid getting ripped off from dupes is to have your item ready to socket and then trade for the rune you want and socket the rune in that game. Also cubing the runes to make the next higher one will work. You can also keep any runes you get from a trade on a character you dont use very much and minimize the number of times you enter a game with someone else. Trading down to Mals and Ums is usually safe also as these runes are considered a waste of time to dupe and will most likely be legit.

15. Heaven Torn Asunder

Heaven Torn Asunder IncGamers Member

^
    that's not always true, because when I traded my maras for a ber.. then "permed" it. Then I went off to a private game with just myself. And before I left, I looked in my stash at my precious jah and ber that would be there for me when I get back from the gym. Except.. when I got home I looked in stash..

jah.. check
    ists.. check
    ber.. BER!?!?! WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!?!?

oh btw, I just found a legit vex 3 minutes ago in a pit run, now I can run around freely and happy knowing it'll not poof. :)

16. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

I've heard that another way to perm a rune is to sell it to a vendor like Akara, then buy it back IN THE SAME GAME. This costs a lot of money, but that way the rune won't disappear when you exit the game (and thus allow you to get rid of it quickly before it poofs).

17. Heaven Torn Asunder

Heaven Torn Asunder IncGamers Member

people say that, but I don't think it matters. Since when you sell it and buy it back it doesn't change it's ID number.

18. Jerion

Jerion IncGamers Member

Just asking, you said the Lo poofed on you, then you said you permed it... :confused:
    Explanation?

19. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

perm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pûrm) Informal
    n.
    A permanent.

tr.v. permed, perm·ing, perms
    To give (hair) a permanent.

[Download or Buy Now]
    Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Perm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prm, pyrm)

A city of west-central Russia on the Kama River in the foothills of the Ural Mountains. Founded in the early 18th century when a copper foundry was built there, it grew rapidly as an industrial center in the 19th century. Population: 1,091,056.

[Download or Buy Now]
    Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Source: http://www.dictionary.com
    (Not a competitive site right?) :lol:

20. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

even if u perm, if u are holding 2 or more items that are direct dupes of each other they can still disappear

i lost 7 of my barbs 3/20/20's yesterday, even tho i permed because i had just bought the 10 last ones, and obviously 7 of those exact matched up with 7 of my old ones :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.