Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is more important? Maxing synergy or mastery

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by petezjunior, Jun 14, 2008.

1. petezjunior

petezjunior IncGamers Member

What is more important? Maxing synergy or mastery

I plan on making a Fireball/orb sorc. I was wondering which would give more damage in STRICTLY pvm. Maxing a 2% synergy or maxing a mastery?
    This is my plan so far.
    Max Fire ball, firebolt, meteor.
    Max orb, some points into ice bolt like 10 and rest of pts into both masteries. Is there a table to show maximum dmg?

2. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf IncGamers Member

Re: What is more important? Maxing synergy or mastery

20 orb
    17 in mastery(with +skills)
    20 fb
    20 fbolt
    rest i meteor
    1 mastery

on the fire tree points into sinergy gives more than the mastery to fb
    and dont put points into ice bolt, aonly the orb damage with some +skill its desvasting, it will not look, but with the c mastery it will be a good damage

3. Krovvy

Krovvy IncGamers Member

Maxing the mastery would be more useful, and the key levels are 17, 32, 37. Go ahead and max Frozen Orb, Fireball, Meteor, and Cold Mastery. Then you can decide how to break up your remaining points into Firebolt and Fire Mastery.

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Actually, IF you're short on skillpoints, often it's FireMastery before Meteor.

The reason is that Meteor has those 3 prereq's that would require points before you can get any synergy bonus, but FireMastery doesn't have the prereq's... so, for example, at your planned highest level, you might only be able to spend 15 in Meteor to synergize (and 3 skillpoints in prereq's), or 18 in the Mastery. Plugging these numbers into a skills-calc, you often get better FB damage with the Mastery.

Of course, if you plan to actually use the Meteor skill, or if you have lots of skillpoints for the fire tree, then Meteor can be a much better choice. Irregardless, the difference in fireball damage for either choice is fairly minimal.

@krovvy, I believe the key levels for ColdMastery are 17, 27, and 32 (and 22 for a Countess runner)... any points over 32 are only likely to be useful for PvP and an occasional random unique monster.

Edit: Back to the original question:
    Up until level 17, Cold Mastery will always provide more damage to your FO than IceBolt will. Always. [edit] (Unless you have other means to lower enemy cold resistance, such as facets, Doom runeword, etc)[/edit]

After level17, it depends on the monster resistances. The lowest total/final result for a resistance can be -100%, so if a monster inherently has 0% cold resistance, there's absolutely no benefit beyond level17 ColdMastery. If a monster has an inherently high cold resistance (for example, Hell Meph has a natural 75% cold resistance), then additional points in the mastery will still provide more FO-damage than points into IceBolt... up until the point that the monster has -100% resistance.

Personally, I would try to figure out what your equipment (and +skills) will be, then just aim for a level17 cold mastery. After that, see my previous point about Meteor vs. FireMastery, and maybe do a little quick math to see if you have the necessary skillpoints to make Meteor a better FB synergy than FM.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  5. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

That's actually not true. If the enemy has recieved -resistance from other sources than cold mastery, ice bolt will be more effective. And also, -5% to enemy resistance isn't always 150% better than a point in ice bolt, since the ice bolt synergy is multiplied by the enemies negative resistance, while the -res is not

6. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Even when enemy is at -95% resist, -5% is better than the +2%, as 2 * 1.95 = 3.8.