Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is Diablo 2 like online?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by joltz, Jul 8, 2008.

1. joltz

joltz IncGamers Member

What is Diablo 2 like online?

I mean, how do you get paired up with people? If you create a new character, do you just join a game with low levels, and you level up together? Or if it's not like that, how is it? I've played the single player, but I have yet to play online.

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Re: What is Diablo 2 like online?

You create a character, and can choose to enter any one of the public games you see. You can get a basic idea of what the game is by reading the title. The best way to see what I'm talking about is to just create an account, log on, and jump right in. :tongue:

Welcome to the forums, by the way. :wave:

*steals pants and wallet*

3. joltz

joltz IncGamers Member

But like... what if you join a game and you're level 1, and everybody else is like level 60?

...and thanks for the welcome :p

4. Gorny

Gorny Banned

You can create games with level restrictions. On the other hand if you are level one, you won't see many level 60's in games you are in unless someone is rushing or helping someone else.

You're in Normal mode at level one ...level 60's are in the late part of Nightmare or Hell mode.

5. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

When joining a game you can see what levels are currently in the game before you join. So either pick one that has players of equal level or make your own game with restrictions on what levels can join.

6. Tuhnu

Tuhnu IncGamers Member

You can play solo in multiplayer if you want to, just create a game with a password. That way you'll have the access to trading and playing with others if/when you want to do so. You can join games like "Act 1 beginners" "Act 1 beginning" etc, to level up with some other people (there's pretty much of those games, in my opinion).

You won't probably meet very high level players right away, since they're more than likely on nightmare/hell difficulties, unless, as said, they're boosting/helping their friends or something.

My friend played singleplayer only because he was afraid of getting killed all the time, this is not a problem since you can just leave if someone intends to kill you (you'll get a clear warning which is impossible to miss if someone does so). I wanted to say this just in case you feel the same way as my friend. ;)

Oh, and of course, welcome to the forums.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to tell you: you can go to the player matchup forums and look for other players who are just starting online (whether it's a new character or a new player ;p) to get someone to play with.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  7. Faustus

Faustus IncGamers Member

Diablo I and II were my first introduction to online games, and compared to every other that I've played I would say they have one of the most unique systems in place. Just make a character and play around, thats the easiest way to learn.

8. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing IncGamers Member

The monsters get harder when there are more players in the game, so you may have to adjust to that.

Occasionally you may run into someone who decides to hostile you for some reason. They cannot hurt you in town though, for the most part. Typically, they'll get bored and leave if nothing happens. For softcore at least, this doesn't happen too much. There's also your occasional trash talker but fortunately there's a squelch option in the party screen. There's a lot of unpleasant personalities on bnet, but most people aren't too bad.

Also, you can give people waypoints by placing a town portal near a waypoint. You may ask for the same and most people will usually give it to you. This can help you and your party get things done faster. ;)

9. ScottyDsntKnow

ScottyDsntKnow IncGamers Member

You can be PKed anywhere, even in town by someone with a hack. There are all kinds of lamers online espeically in pubs. You have to be very careful and treat most ppl as PKers which sucks but that's how it is. If you have some friends who play then you can get a private online game going but after normal mode I'd be very VERY careful about joining a pub.

10. Faustus

Faustus IncGamers Member

What realm are we talking about here, Pking isn't really a problem at all on west as far as I know

11. mugupo

mugupo Banned

Online is very fun, but is also addicted, is nearly endless possiblistie online, there's about 50k player play diablo 2, up to 8 character can joined one game, is much harder when there's more peopel in the party, monster is stronger, also ladder is far far more item than single player especially runeworld item, and not to mention ubber,