Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what is best merc armor?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by BasieP, Apr 2, 2004.

1. BasieP

BasieP IncGamers Member

what is best merc armor?

hi,

i'm having trouble deciding what armor i should give to my merc.

my act2 def normal merc has arioc's needle (eth) and andy's viseage (eth) both with sheal. very nice, but the armor is the bottleneck

i now get a 70% ias, so i should add at least 1 jewel (15%) to my armor. that would get me 85% ias. now since i need 75% that would be enough

now when i wear an heavy armor i get -10% attack speed so get back at 75% right? (please correct me if i'm wrong)

i thought of 2 armors:
    Griswold's Heart
    pro's: 2Sockets open, very easy to find. only gets -5% attack speed since it's a medium armor so i'll be safe. Can be made elite, so has nice def
    con's: no nice bonusses, can't be eth since it's a set item

Spirit Keeper
    pro's: 3Sockets open, nice bonusses
    con's: very rare (especially eth), -10% speed gets me to 75.. is that safe???

what would be best choice?

2. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

That's 50 IAS and 20 FHR.
    EDIT: My mistake...missed the 20% IAS from Andy's Visage itself.

Shael doesn't give IAS in Helms, Armour and Shields.

FHR in helms and armor, FBR in shields.

Eth Black Hades would be a nice and obvious choice. But you would need a 15% IAS in every socket.

<TABLE cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]<CENTER>[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Black Hades[/size][/font]</CENTER><CENTER>Chaos Armor</CENTER>

[/size][/font]

</TD><TD>[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Defense: 823-1029 (varies) (Base Defense: 315-342)Required Level: 53
    Required Strength: 140
    Durability: 70
    +140-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +30-60% Damage To Demons (varies)
    +200-250 To Attack Rating Against Demons (varies)
    Half Freeze Duration
    Gem Socket (3)
    -2 To Light Radius
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

[/size][/font]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. BasieP

BasieP IncGamers Member

in every socket?

i have 30 on the weapon+sheal=20+20 on helm= a total of 70 ias

with 1 ias jewel in armor i would be safe right? (85% IAS)

and yes the black hazes i have now is messed up (not eth, and bad stuff in sockets) but i have now 1 IAS jewel in it so 2 sockets left

problem is that i have no other nice stats on that armor, and that it is heavy also. (so again my question if 75% is really safe or if i should go over it)

4. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

best merc armors: shaftstop, leviathan, Stone runeword, CoH Runeword.

5. BasieP

BasieP IncGamers Member

because.....

i think levi sucks on merc.. the -35% dmg taken does accually nothing.. because with i.e. merc fights the merc takes like 2-4 hits and then he's dead with or without levi
    shaftstop, same story

the stone runeword is nice, but unfortunatly merces don't use stuff like vitality. also it doesn't use high runes so very easy to build (must check on that one for my merc ;) )
    what armor is best for my merc then? i can have 230 str, but what armor has highest def with that str?

Chains of honor.. well lets say that the first ber i get doesn't go to my merc ;)

6. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Stone is a very big choice for people because of its defense potential.

I myself made an eth stone archon, which has 2864 def on it. They can get much higher than that as well. The more def, the less your merc gets hit, pretty simple. The 15 resist all doesnt hurt either.

As for the Levi and Shaft ideas, they do make a difference in your merc surviving. Just not against elemental portion of melee attacks that most enemies have in hell.

I imagine eth ariocs has some nice damage, but my opinion is reapers toll is still much better with its constant decrepifying.

7. floodforever

floodforever IncGamers Member

my merc uses eth uniq Wire Fleece,eth uniq demonhead,eth Fuscina.
    it is quite good.

8. mstrnicegui

mstrnicegui IncGamers Member

My barb's might merc uses eth andy's visage (after might +1000dmg), duriel's shell for the cannot be frozen, it's a decent def version, and reaper's toll.

That said, I also came across an eth bonehew with 840 max dmg. I put it on my might merc to test it against the non eth version of reaper's toll with 440 max dmg. The reaper's toll was about comparable to the bonehew. A little slower to kill, not by much, and a lot easier to survive.

I would definitely try for an eth andy's for the defiance merc and the eth bonehew until I can afford doom runeword.

9. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i found shaftstop to be best on all my mercs. ideally, upgraded with cham too.

10. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

Stone runeword in ethereal superior Sacred Armor. The most defensive armor ever. "Only" 222 str.

11. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

Would it take a defiance aura to boost that defense high enough, or would, for example, a nm merc have enough defense to stay alive?

12. mstrnicegui

mstrnicegui IncGamers Member

I have a new concentrate barb that is my first barb with the gear to survive long enough in late hell to keep his merc alive and to watch the tendencies of his merc's life. Here is a little background on my merc to give you an idea of survivability:

I have an act 2 might merc with just under 2k life and 2.5k def with his items on and he does 400-2.5k dmg. He is wearing an eth 450 def andy's visage, reaper's toll and duriel's shell. He has a total of about 20% ll between andy's visage and reaper's toll. With all this, he will die in a matter of seconds when surrounded by a pack of any sort of enemy in act 4 or act 5 hell.

This is where the wonders of BO and Shout come into play. With level 32 BO and Shout, +6 from echoing weapons, +6 from rest of gear, max shout, BO. My merc's life jumps to just over 4k life, and just over 12k def. After that, he becomes a super tank. His life hardly ever budges. The only things that gets to him are either black souls or whenever he gets caught just standing around getting pegged by ranged attacks. As long as my merc is attacking and leeching, he is pretty much good to go.

Moral of the story, even big leech isn't enough to keep a melee merc alive in the later acts of hell. You need as much defense on him as possible, I'd say 6k def is safe enough so you won't have to feed him potions every battle, and life, 2.5k is probably about as low as I'd be safe having him.