Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is being "physically fit"?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by itsmillertime, Mar 4, 2004.

1. itsmillertime

itsmillertime IncGamers Member

What is being "physically fit"?

what exactly does it take for a person to be considered physically fit. is there some set standard or is it just open to opinion. so many people these days are obsessed with losing weight and being in shape, but im not sure they know exactly what "being in shape" is.

2. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Iits whatever they tell you in school. Or how all the celebrities look.

EDIT: I'll add this, it's not having a lot of fat on you, being in shape and having muscle.

3. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Fit is a relative term. Since a room full of bodybuilders and room full of..... well us would have different ideas on what fit is

4. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

http://www.shapeup.org/weightmanagement.html

That is one of many sites that can give you some general ideas about fitness standards. The police agencies, military, etc. all have specific standards that they consider for fitness levels. While there are different definitions, you can get generalized ideas about your level of fitness by looking at your body weight index, etc.

5. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Being physically fit is having the ability to get through your normal daily activities without exhaustion, and being able to handle occasional periods of increased activity.

So, a pro. Athlete who takes 16 minutes to run two miles might be considered unfit, while that same speed would make the average Joe pretty fit.

6. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I would say that, if you were to ignore all other factors, would your body type likely allow you to live out the average human lifespan? Of course that is hard to figure out... Being fit doesn't really seem like a line you cross, anyways. More like a scale. There's almost always room for improvement.

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'd say it's a combination of a lot of things. To have a good amount of muscle mass, a small amount of fat, good cardiovascular performance, healthy organs, to be a reasonable weight for your height and body type and to have energy reserves to allow you to perform well throughout the day and to have extra to tap when you need it. Compared to other bodybuilders, I'm out of shape because I don't have the time to exercise as much as they do. Compared to 90% of the rest of the population, though, I'm very physically fit. It's really subjective.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I consider myself "physically phhhttt."