Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is a good Matron bow to keep ?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by UnRegistred, Apr 12, 2005.

1. UnRegistred

UnRegistred IncGamers Member

What is a good Matron bow to keep ?

I've been playing hundreds of hours and never found 4 socketable Grand Matron bow.

The only Grand Matron i found was a level 58 white with +1 Bow / crossbow.

Should i keep this one or should i keep looking ?

btw, is it possible to add unlimited sockets ? like if i bring a zero socketable white bow can i upgrade it to 4 s ?

And where's the best place to find socketable Matria or Matron bow ?

Is there another place like the pit ? its getting dark in there.

My last question isn't bowazon related but does anyone know the difference between Resist and Absorb ?

Like a ring with 20% Fire Resist vs a ring with 20% fire Absorb. Anyone know the difference ?

thnks

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

If you bring a white item to Larzuk for socketing it will get max number of sockets, which is 5 for a Grand Matron Bow...This also depends on item level I think, but most Grand Matron Bows you find should be high enough level to get max amount of sockets.

Cow level would be a good place...basically anywhere in Hell, where there are lots of monsters and you can kill them very fast. Not having MF actually helps you find socketable items. Although not very much, and you might miss out on some good stuff.

absorb vs resists

Let's say you take 1000 damage...

20% fire resist would negate 20% so you'd take 800 damage
    20% absorb would negate 20% and then heal 20% so you'd only take 600 damage.

Also resists are taken into account first, then absorb..so if you get high enough resists you can take so little damage that you will actually heal from the attack, if you have some absorb.

3. UnRegistred

You mean that i will get 5 sockets from just one single visit ? or do you mean i have to visit him 5 times to get 5 sockets ?

Should i keep the white Matron bow with +1 bow/crossbow ?

I have to make a decision, either i keep +20 absorb or i keep +20 resist. I can't have both.

Which one should i keep. Resist or Absorb ?

4. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Non superior weapons can be socketed using cube recipe: Ral + Amn + 1 P. Amethyst. This recipe gives you random number of sockets (1-5 in your case).

Larzuk will give max number of sockets(5) to the gmb - something you don't want.

I found quite many matri and gm bows in the flayer jungle (some of them also ended up 4s +3, but not sup), so you may as well take the path of Indiana Jones and go to Kurast - via Flayer jungle :)

5. Chimaira

When you use the socket quest from Larzuk on a normal (white) item you will get the max amount of sockets that item can get. I think this has something to do with item level, so if you have a lvl 1 Grand Matron Bow I don't think it will get 5 sockets...but I'm pretty sure that any Grand Matron Bow you find in Hell will be able to get 5 sockets....You only have to visit him once. Larzu can't put more sockets in an item that already has sockets.

If you need a 4 socketed bow...I don't think you should keep the one you have. GMB's can get up to +3 bow skills which is very nice...the difference between +1 and +3 skills isn't huge so it comes down to how big a perfectionist you are.

I'm not really sure what you should pick...what items are we talking about here?? You should take the other mods into account too.

6. UnRegistred

Ring +30 fire resist
    Ring +30 fire absorb

Which one is best ?

so Act 3 has higher Bow matron socketable drop rate than pit ?

err I dont like act3...

thnks

7. Chimaira

There is no ring that gives +30% fire absorb...I really don't know what to advise you.

Act 3 is good because there are lots of easy to kill monsters (flayers) but cow level would be just as good, and Pits wouldn't be bad either. The most important criteria is that there are lots of monsters and that you can kill them fairly quickly on a high player settings.

8. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

best place would actually be hell cows...atma is off by listing the flayers #1 i think....

you cannot ADD sockets to an item that is already socketed

any normal gmb is high enough level to always get max sockets at larzuk=5
    unfortunately a damaged bow repaired to ilv 1 will give 3 sockets at larzuk
    larzuk can put sockets in superior bows

your only chance to get 4 os in a gmb is by the previouly mentioned cube recipe
    the cube recipe will not work with superior items
    you will have a slightly higher chance of getting 5 sockets on a gmb(1 in 3) than 1-4 sockets(1 in 6 chance of getting 1,2,3,4 os)

i believe the highest fire absorb you can get on a ring is 15% from a dwarf star, 20% cold absorb from a raven frost(every zon should wear one!!!!) and up to 20% light on a wisp....absorb is better than resist

9. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

30% Fire Resist is just that - it resists 30% of a fire attack.

30% Fire Absorb is a crapload better - it functions pretty much like 60% Fire Resist, because first it prevents it, then it adds it to your life (sorta)...

Let's say a 1000 point fireball is thrown at you.

With 30% Fire Resist, you will prevent 30% of that - you will take 700 damage (1000-300=700).

With 30% Fire Absorb, you will prevent 30% of that, and then add the same amount to your health - you end up taking 400 (1000-300-300=400).

The adding to your health happens at the same time as the damage being dealt to you - it's all figured out in a math equation, and then once the game figures out how much damage you actually take, your life total changes.

This is roughly how it works.

Absorb is always better than Resist, all other things being equal.

10. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

By saying "30%" absorb he could mean 1 Dwarf Star (15% absorbed and 15% healed -total 30%), or 2 Dwarf Stars.
    Resist vs absorb is a tricky question.
    The thing is that absorb interacts with resist not additively, but works after resist, and heals next frame.
    This depends on how much resist you already have.
    Example: We take 1000 fire damge, what is better, 30% resist, or 30% absorb?
    1) We already have 0% fire resist (not a good idea, I can tell you that :)).
    +30% absorb: Damage = 1000 - 30%*1000 (absorbed) - 30% (helaed) = 400;
    +30% resist: Damage = 1000 - 30%*1000 = 700
    400 damage instead of 700 - absorb works much better than resistance.
    2) We already have 45% fire resist.
    +30% absorb: Damage = (1000 - 45%*1000) (resist reduced damage to 550) - 30%*550 (absorb) - 30%*550 (healed) = 220;
    +30% resist: Damage = 1000 - 75%*1000 = 250
    220 damage instead of 250 - the difference between absorb and resistane is much smaller, but absorb is still better.
    3) We already have 60% resist, and have something with +max res (Guardian's Angel, for instance).
    +30% absorb: Damage = (1000 - 60%*1000) (resist reduced damage to 400) - 30%*400 (absorb) - 30%*400 (healed) = 160;
    +30% resist: Damage = 1000 - 90%*1000 = 100
    160 damage instead of 100 - resist is much better.
    So, more resistance you have - less effective is absorb compared to additional resistance.
    Of course, the best idea is stacking resist, max resist, absorb X, absorb X% at the same time - you can get totally immune to a given element. Not to all elements - you just can't put on big absorb to everything at the same time.
    But to single element - no problem. It's so funny to stand in Diablo's firestorm with Rising Sun, dual Dwarves, and 90% resist - the attack HEALS you instead of quick killing.

11. UnRegistred

I find the 75 cap making hard to calculate. I know there are few little bonuses that increase that cap by 10 but let suppose we dont have any.

So let suppose we have in Nm mode :

fire 75
    cold 70
    light 70
    pois 30

That should be in Hell mode

fire 15
    cold 10
    light 10
    pois -30

First of all : how much fire resist do we have at this point if we have 15 fire res in hell mode ?

At 15 fire res (with +30 ring res ), leave it that way ?
    At -15 fire res (with +30 ring res ) use a +30 fire absorb ring instead ???

so you have two choices:
    option 1: +15 fire resist with fire resist ring
    option 2: -15 fire resist with fire absorb ring.

If i understand your logic, option 2 is best ?