Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is a bot?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by garion, Apr 12, 2005.

1. garion

garion IncGamers Member

What is a bot?

like the title says i have no clue....some sort of roBOT? automated player?

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

yes.....but don't expect any detailed info this is a legit site for legit players

3. garion

garion IncGamers Member

what is the point of playing then?

so its not those guys that come in advertising site selling diablo stuff?

4. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Yes --- it's a program that plays the game.

These programs are MUCH more effective at finding legit items than human players --- they don't get tired, they don't get bored, they don't have to move the mouse around or do other time-consuming stuff:

It used to be "create game, teleport, kill boss, pickup loot, rinse and repeat", possibly trading it off to mule accounts to make room for more loot.
    I assume nowadays they do the grand tour to avoid realm downs

5. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

there are various kinds of bots in d2, (all illegal). we can discuss what they do for the newcomers but not any info on where to get them.

there are ad/spammer bots that 3rd party companies use to advertise

there are also mf bots, that just run bosses continuously and picking up the goodies along the way.

both of these are illegal are are one of the main reasons that blizz enforced the "realm down" rule.

as to y ppl use them: they are lazy

6. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

No.

From a more technical perspective, even though there isn't an ISO standard defining bots, one would probably require that a bot has at least some primitve AI to adjust to what's going on in the game.

Those advertising programs don't need to look at the game at all, they just log in, issue a message command, and log off again. No playing involved there at all.

7. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

Clans and individual also use bots to kill bosses/clear levels repeatedly, while clanmates/individual + randoms from b.net sit in the game and get exp (or help kill, doesn't really matter). The bot does the work and levels the other people.

Sometimes people combine functions, like the bots that run pindle for MF before running baal for leveling other people (often the bot will also kill baal for MF).

Bots suck, they have a very real effect on the d2 economy...all the cool uniques you find aren't worth much because bots find all the stuff and flood the market...

Some would argue the new runewords made the uniques suck, but if those runes didn't get duped/found alot by bots, that really wouldn't be an issue.

8. garion

garion IncGamers Member

oh ok...so its like a cheat program...

i used to play diablo like 3 years ago and now that ive come back there all these new terms and stuff...

my first impression upon hearing it during playwas that it was some sort of new build i wasnt familiar with....but then later, i thought the players were refering to the guys who pop in and spew of like 30 msg (which i have re-learned how to squelch)

seems that it is nothing more than a substitue player...hahah the irony...where players are so lazy at playing...the comp is playing for them.... :lol: hard to believe...

next thing you know..people will be hiring proxys to play PS2 and XBOX games for them...quite silly

9. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

ISO standard. LOL :)

I do believe that auto advertising programs can be considered as bots.

I think a 'bot' can be defined as an automated program programmed to perform a task without human intervention.

Chatting bots were the start of bots. There were quite a few of them around when I was playing Starcraft.