Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What if the 5th class were a HEALER?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by direfire, Aug 17, 2010.

1. direfire

direfire Diabloii.Net Member

I know my standpoint on this but I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

How would that impact the gameplay? Good or bad?
    Let me know and I'll give you my take on it.

2. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: What if the 5th class were a HEALER?

Then it would mean Blizzard went back on their earlier announcement that they don't intend to have a dedicated healer class.

In this game your meant to plow trough hordes of monsters, dedicated healing classes don't fit.

3. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Healers work in party-based games where healers can rely on other classes to fill the damage role, but not in ARPG where every class must have enough offensive potential to single-handedly beat the game. As soon as you give a healer enough offensive potential to do just that, the class is no longer a healer but an offensive caster like the wizard or witch doctor.

Whether or not one of the classes will have some kind of minor healing ability is a different matter altogether, though.

4. djfriesen

djfriesen Diabloii.Net Member

Indeed. Say "no" to drugs, but also say "no" to MMO mechanics in ARPGs.

5. chillietaco

chillietaco Diabloii.Net Member

There are actually probably quite a few MMO mechanics that are suited to Diablo III but I agree that a dedicated healer is not one of them.

6. djfriesen

djfriesen Diabloii.Net Member

As someone not especially familiar with MMOs or their myriad mechanics, I won't try to dispute this. I just long for (and with good reason I think) the ability to lone-wolf it through the game. I'm all for people being able to party up, I just don't do it very often. A game that necessitates a dedicated healer class ceases to be an ARPG for me.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

only way i see a healing character working is if you also give him good summonables(is that even a word?). a druid usually fits this mold with ok heals and pretty good summoned pets but there wont be a druid so he is out. anyway point is like already stated the point is to kill mobs and kill them fast. also you need to do it alone so a healer wont happen and if it did it would play like the d2 necro just replace curses with heals

8. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

A healer doesn't make sense in a game where the primary source of healing has already been rather conclusively stated as killing things for shiny AoE heals.

9. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

Not.

I could maybe see a class with a couple of healing(-ish) skills, but as a class, not possible in an ARGP. That said, I think a Cleric-type class that focuses on Holy offensive magicks could be awesome, though more so for an expansion.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

unless they are healing pets then they wont be healing. a ranger class could easily have heals. uses a bow, has a pet, has heals for pet and party. though in most ARPG it is easier to kill than heal so i dont see anyone leveling up heals even if they were in the game

11. Chukcharcoales

Chukcharcoales Diabloii.Net Member

I don't foresee a healing class in D3. If there was one, I hope it wouldn't be mandatory to have at least one in every game like in Guildwars if you want to progress though more difficult parts of the game.

12. ThomasJ

ThomasJ Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo 3, the mmo ? Healer lfg Diablo run!

13. Chukcharcoales

Chukcharcoales Diabloii.Net Member

Always annoyed me that you couldnt go anywhere without at least one monk in your group. >_<

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  14. direfire

direfire Diabloii.Net Member

I still say that Blizzard will ruin the thing that made Diablo2exp stay alive so long and that is that everyone had an equal chance of being the best player in the game.

Looking at the first game play video from Diablo 3 you'll see the team of players beating up the boss. That means with most sertainty that you'll never be able to solo him or any other end game boss.
    And that means that you will need friends to play with and that means you remove everyone that just don't have the time or the will power to play with other people.

I love Diablo 2 because I play alongside other players but I'm not dependent on them.
    World Of Warcraft is dead as you reach the highest level for me because I just can't take playing with a bunch of 12 year olds for hours to get the best items.

That's going to ruin Diablo3 for me, cus...can it be any other way? I don't think so, do YOU?

15. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

So if you saw a video of 4 players beating Baal in D2, you'd jump to the conclusion that you'd never be able to solo him...? D3 is no different from D2 in this regard, both games are fully intended to be soloable.

16. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

If this game isn't soloable, Blizzard can scratch single player campaign alltogether. Blizzard can also scratch everyone who does not have a very good internet connection. So, HELL YES it is meant to be doable (yet hard of course) to solo it and with more players in one game, the /playersX multiplyer is used. And that is what you saw in the video, an endboss with the /players4 on....

17. GoldenBird

GoldenBird Diabloii.Net Member

I'm pretty sure scaling monster difficulty to amount of players will still exist, and thus allow soloing. After all, it's not a MMO.

As for the OP's question, the answer is that angry mobs would flood Blizzard offices for not filling in the ranged physical damage (aka ranger) archetype.

18. WizardGurl

WizardGurl Diabloii.Net Member

A healer would be weak in battle alone but a good party character as he would heal while others fight.

But a healer class would be...boring.And probably healing skills will be in the tree of the Monk.

19. sirroman

sirroman Diabloii.Net Member

You are half-right, I can say from my personal experience, some of the most fun game-nights I had with D2 was with a HC Cleric (paladin w/ maxed holy bolt).

Besides, I loved act 2 w/ that character man. Act3 was still a pain in the ***, though.

But yeah, holy bolt is only ONE skill of the paladin. An entire class based on that would be lame. I just like to have more options (heck! Blizz can't spare ONE SKILL? damn!).