Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What if everyone got two votes?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PlagueBearer, May 8, 2008.

1. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

What if everyone got two votes?

You can use one or both or neither, but if you use two they can't both go to the same candidate.

It might provide third partys a more welcome place in politics, since they wouldn't be "spoilers" anymore. What if many of the people who voted for Nader could have also voted for Gore? That's one question... the other is, what if many of the people who voted for Gore could have also voted for Nader?

Is there some glaring problem with this that I'm not seeing?

2. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Re: What if everyone got two votes?

If I can't use both my votes for the candidate that I like, then what is the point in having two votes?

If telling me who I can't use my vote for is the only way to get yalls silly libertarians into office, I hope they never get into office.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

It would just cause the third parties to make loyalty deals with the big ones, compromising their "independence".

We have a system that's somewhat similar in practice here.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If your problem is that you don't want to be told how to do things, it could surely be rephrased in a way which doesn't offend your sense for freedom of choice, like "Which are your two favourite candidates ?" :azn:

However, I agree that having the choice between giving up of your votes or being forced to use it on somebody you don't want to win doesn't sound like good democracy. It might lead to wishy-washy candidates winning, those who are only #2 everywhere. Also, any limitation, even the most simple one, will lead to a certain amount of people not understanding or not knowing that, which will lead to an invalid vote. However, cynical persons might argue that getting certain persons excluded like that would actually be better for us.

In a local election here in Hamburg we had 1-5 votes either for persons or parties or for a mix and we were allowed to make them whereever we wanted, including making all crosses on the same candidate or party. That was pretty easy to comprehend for everybody who was able to count with his fingers. Counting the votes was a nightmare, of course, and voting computers were disallowed by a court decision (IIRC) because they were too insecure.

5. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

There's no such thing as "2 favorites". He's either your favorite, or he isn't. All this amounts to is a lame shot in the dark to get people elected to office whom 97% of the population would never vote for, and for good reason. Ralph Nader is a single-issue candidate that has 0 chance of ever being elected.

If I wanted Joe Smith to win the election, why would I give my 2nd vote to someone else, and jeopardize Joe's chances of winning?

And if you don't see the tyranny in "you can't use your vote for that person", then I don't know what to say to you. However, rephrasing "you can't use you vote for that person" doesn't change the fact that you can't vote for that person. Not for an intelligent person, at least.

6. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

To bad you can't vote -against- a specific person.

I've decided from now on I'll be 100% idealistic, and vote for the candidate I want to win. No more worrying about "wasting a vote".

Once enough people decide to start doing this, we'll get better candidates.

7. krischan

Which kind of tyranny did I not see ? I actually agreed to your point of view, so I doubt a bit that you actually tried to understand what I wrote.

I was just *joking* about your reasoning regarding "silly libertarians". I don't have my mod hat on, so there's no reason to attack me. :rolleyes:

8. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I swear to God, Krischan, you really need to stop reading every response to you as a personal attack. Nowhere in my post did I attack you.

If you don't want your opinions debated and discussed, please write them in Word and save them to your desktop. If anyone else sees them, on a discussion forum, they're going to be questioned.

9. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

This would never work here

IE: If we end up with McCain versus Hillary,

I would vote for McCain and Mickey Mouse, other people would vote for Hillary and Mickey Mouse.

Mickey Mouse Wins!!!!

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  10. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Ha, yeah, that's kinda what I had pictured, too.

11. krischan

I feel attacked whenever I like. That's not your fault, but please don't lecture me about the way I have to feel like. That's a bit too personal to my taste. Thanks for your understanding.

Did you already read my posting ? If yes, we can continue about whatever we are disagreeing with respect to the original topic. If you want to misunderstand me on purpose, we better stop at this point and you can have the final word.

12. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

Perhaps you could read the OP before getting your panties in a wad. The OP said you get two votes, you can use both, one or neither with the only restriction being that you can't cast two votes for the same person. I think this would work really well for the primary election, but since we seem to have a two party system I wouldn't like it in the general election.

13. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I guess if you want to spend your life feeling offended, then knock yourself out.

14. toader

toader Banned

*sigh*
    Why does he even come here anymore...

Mickey Mouse 2008!!

15. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

In my country there is a a coterie of three men called Alivaltiosihteeri (translateable ad lib to "assistant secretary of state", although I am uncertain whether such an office exists in any English-speaking country). In addition to being excellent at making palindromes, and their weekly radio show always depicts two (Finnish, as an agglutinising language being somewhat easy for the job), they seek to make amusing what if -sketches.

One of my favourites spoofs (spooves?) ever from them is a radio sketch where the vote wake folks were debating on who's winning the presidential dismissed vote election and debate got heated since Donald Duck, Picture of a ****, Smudge and Null had all expressed deep distaste for each other. I am sad I am unable to find a litterated version for translation. It was hilarious.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  16. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

What in the world did you just say, WB?

17. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Forgot one non-finite clause, which I edited in. "Vote wake" was a nonsensical term as I made up on the spot and probably made no sense, I assume one would rather speak of "election coverage". Can't make it more legible than that, I guess it will remain a mystery.

18. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Dondrei may have been a little over-cautious in his phrasing. We do use that system here.

19. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I'd probably rather just have a run-off system, I think.

20. SQUATMAN

SQUATMAN IncGamers Member

That's It! I'm voting for Mickey Mouse.