Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What-if: Customized Class

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by okey, Dec 18, 2017.

1. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

While tackling my sept challenge, do to mechanisms outside my control, I frequently come across many what-if situation playing in the back of my head.

We all know that in Diablo 2 LoD and Classic, there are predetermined skills at every increasing tier, with each tier being multiples of 6, ie. 1, 6, 12, 18, 24, and 30. Classes have 3 distinct specialties, and for each specialties there are 3 branches. What you may more may not know is that in all 3 specialties each class and each skill tier will have 2 skills for 2 specialties and 1 skill for the remaining.

Ex. Skim through Druid, for tier level 1 skills druid will have in specialty summoning: Summon Crow(1), Summon Poison Creeper, Werewolf (3), Lycanthropy (4), Firestorm(5); You'll soon notice that each tier follow the same trend, likewise all classes too follow the same trend.

So why do I mention this? What if, there was an 8th class denomination: The Customized Class. Everyone all have played or heard of Elderscrolls, Morrowind/Oblivion or good ol' DnD?-- Recall there was always an create your own class option to the game, that's what this is about.

So it begs the question, from me to the rest of you: If given the opportunity to create one following the game's basic class architecture (that is to say a level 1 character won't be able to have access to Summon Bear, as it's only unlocked at level 30) and pre-exisiting skills, what would your customized class be?

It'll be interesting to note what everyone's customization and creativeness be. :)

2. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

Are characters allowed to choose skill sets from other classes?

3. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I wrote about something like this for a “wishes for D3” thread many moons ago.

I would love to have a more open game where you select three trees, possibly from groups or maybe just from one group. Then your characters looks are determined from your tree selections, not the other way around.

So you could have: Necro Summon, Sorc Fire and Paladin Offensive auras.
    Or Paladin combat skills with Amazon passive and Barbarian warcries.

Kitteh and DiabloTwoinDC like this.
  4. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Ttian Quest had 2 groups to select from iirc. That game was pretty fun.

5. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

Yep, TQ did, as does Grim Dawn and it really makes for some cool as hell combinations.

6. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

While this would be interesting at first, it would break the skill system more than it already is. The problem is no one would ever play the default classes. Every build would end up looking like this: Main + Offensive Auras + Curses

The sorceress for example, would have level 40+ Light Skills+Conviction+Lower Resist. The Barbarian would have Whirlwind+Concentration+Amp Damage. The Necro CE+Amp Damage+Conviction. Each character is balanced to provide certain things that others can't. The fact is, the Paladin/Barbarian get WAY more life than a sorceress, so it would be broken and unfair that a Barbarian could get Sorc skills while they have the same FCR breakpoints and get 4x the life. It's already broken enough with Paladins being able to get BO+Tele yet having Auras and way more life than a sorc.

Instead, I would rather see a fourth skill tree added, with skills that every character shares. This would be a "Hybrid" of the Diablo 1 skill system, but without the issue that only the sorcerer could get enough magic to cast higher spells. This would help out in MP too.

Slvl 1 -> Repair Item, Identify Item
    Slvl 6 -> Recharge Item, Town Portal (TP was in D1, I hate having scrolls/tomes)
    Slvl 12 -> Resurrect, Healing (Both were in D1 as well, reviving merc/other players would be nice, and healing them too)
    Slvl 18 -> Invisibility, Infravision (the latter was in D1, it shows monsters behind walls, could show them on automap in D2)
    Slvl 24 -> Teleport, Telekinesis (Get rid of Enigma and nerf Tele breakpoints for everyone except Sorc)
    Slvl 30 -> Apocalypse (The BEST all time skill in Diablo, would love to have this back!!!! They could disable in PvP)

While were at it, they should also remove synergies and add back Skill Books. Similar to D1, you can max every skill with enough books. This way you can diversify your character, yet unlike in 1.09 you don't have the problem of hoarding everything until level 30.

7. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

What does apolcalypse do?

8. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

It's just a big nuke that hits everything on the screen.

9. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

@pharphis Apocalypse is the most powerful skill in Diablo. In the original game, you could only get it as scrolls or charges (just like Nova) because they were so powerful. In Hellfire, they added it as a skill but toned it down a bit. This video speaks for itself:

T72on1, fearedbliss and pharphis like this.
  10. fearedbliss

fearedbliss Diabloii.Net Member