Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What have YOU socked in IK set ?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Pisken, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Pisken

Pisken IncGamers Member

What have YOU socked in IK set ?

I got 2x ptopaz in helm
    1x ptopaz in armour
    2x SHAEL in the club (last brakepoint with WW )

would be nice to get some other angles of socking the IK set , but i guess my socking is the most common though :)

2. Guntaas

Guntaas IncGamers Member

I'm almost done collecting the set (only missing the armor), so here is what I've done so far:
    2 ptopaz in the helm
    My friend found a unique jewel in a Baal run, I'm gonna see if I can get it from him to put in the armor.
    Nothing in the maul, yet...
    Dual shaels sound pretty good, but I'd probably go with an enhanced damage jewel and a shael. At the risk of being branded a n00b, I've heard people talking about 40/30 jewels. Does this stand for enh dam/IAS?

3. KaesarSosei

KaesarSosei IncGamers Member

Actually its 40/15 and it stands for 'Duped' ;)

But your on the right track, 2 Shaels are IAS overkill on the maul so its best to find 2 15% jewels with even sh1tty secondary mods.

4. bigballerpaul

bigballerpaul IncGamers Member

i disagree. i think id rather have two shaels than two 15ias 1-3 fire damage jewels. you have to remember that you will want to use concentrate and zerk some, and that the extra swinging speed from the shaels will help. i think 2 shaels is the best choice until you find 2 ed/ias jewels (make sure ias from both = at least 30).

5. Pisken

Pisken IncGamers Member

im gonna unsock my maul now :) (SHAEL are cheap :) ) i have one 36/15 jewel and an 31/15 , if only 30%ias cut it i guess its beter to get some more dmg :)

6. KaesarSosei

Those jewels are fantastic choices for the Maul.

I still think Shael is overkill - if your using WW. If using WW then you will only use Berserk/Conc 1% of the time IMO. The full set adds enough non-physical dmg to not need Berserk vs PI groups...again IMO.

7. Aradiel

Aradiel IncGamers Member

I've gone for Pul in the armour, Cham and Ber in the helm, and two Shaels in the Maul. I'm using Concentrate - I was under the impression that I needed double Shael for the last IAS breakpoint - wrong? Can I get away with ShaelOhm, for example?

8. Aradiel

Aradiel IncGamers Member

IMO you will, however, want to use Beserk against Iron Maiden users, especially in Hardcore. Whirlwind is going to get you killed in the Chaos Sanctuary, and WSK if it spawns OKs.

9. KaesarSosei

Well IMO :p Melee chars should enter the Chaos Sanct exactly 3 times in their lives, once at each Difficulty.

Apart from that all the levelling is much easier for melee in Baal, and yes you can get OKs there so thats where my 1% Berserk guesstimation came from.

And of course vs Physical immune single monsters Berserk is a lot better too, but vs groups of PI I would stick with WW.

10. realjeep

realjeep IncGamers Member

Chaos Sanctuary isn't the only area u can get i.m.ed anymore (thnx bliz), so if you run baal you will need zerk.

I would also say 2x Shael. I end up using conc/zerk a lot due to the fact that so many monsters have mana burn (including non-mana-leechables). WW works ok on groups of say, mana burn ghosts, but you will have to hit a rejuv after each pass which can run you out pretty quick. In fact, in such a situation i usually use conc over zerk because the def bonus helps u to get hit less so you survive a lot longer without chugging rejuvs.

11. devon2f2f

devon2f2f IncGamers Member

I didnt have any 40/15 so I put some 2/15%ias jools in my maul 1 with a min dam second mod and one with a max dam second mod.. Will probally put 3 ptopez in helm and armor.

I seem to have no problem with PI's so far I have been able to just WW through them and let the elemental dam on maul take care of them. But I am only in act 2 hell and things may get a lot harder in act 5 8 peep games. But as for now I wm really digging my IK barb I haven't really played a barb since the lance barb was king.

12. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I have 2 * Shael in the maul. Nothing else yet, but I'm considering Pul in the armour and 2 * Sol in the helm. The extra defense will be welcome, and physical damage reduction will help (2 * Ber might be better, but no way can I afford that).

13. KaesarSosei

Well I have a 40% ED jewel that I will stick in the armour. I also have a 15%IAS/+6 Maz Dmg for the maul and looking for another 15% IAS/secondary mod for the other maul socket.

I was going to stick 2 PTops in the Helm, but then I found another 40% ED jewel in a Baal run! Someone killed Eldritch and left a blue jewel. I picked it up while waiting and it was 40% woo-hoo!

14. bigballerpaul

2 sols in the helm will mean -14 damage taken. this isnt 14%. monster does 100 damage, you still receive 86 of that damage. monster does 500 damage, you receive 486 of that. dont get the -#damage taken confused with -%damage taken.

15. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Thanks for pointing that out, but I already know how it works. For weaker mosnters there is not much difference between the two, as in your example with a monster doing 100 dmg, two Sols reduces damage by 14, two Bers by 100*0.16=16, only 2 difference.

16. bigballerpaul

but at lvl 76, you wont be fighting very many lower level monsters. even at 47 (lvl req for helm), you might be better off with something else. up to you though. you can always use a hel rune and unsocket.