Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What has Bush done for America?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SirKnightmare, Mar 18, 2004.

1. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

What has Bush done for America?

I want to know what he has done to help out the American people. He is the President of the United States after all and that should be his first priority.

2. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

1. Well, he gave us a tax break (And don't try to pull the "Tax cuts for the rich" line, because it simply isn't true.)
    The downside to this is, of course, our climbing deficits.

2. The economy is recovering semi-strongly.
    The downside to this is that fact that it's so meager to begin with.

3. And I think, in many people's minds, he started to clean up the messes that previous presidents dating back to Reagan have left us.
    And the obvious downside to this is that there is a lot of disgreement over how he's going about cleaning them up.

4. He's at least made a showing of cracking down on corporate abuse.
    Doesn't help that so many of said corporations donate to his campaign, but that can be said for a lot of politicians on both sides.

All in all, I'd say he's been a pretty average president. Controversial, sure. Politically divisive, absolutely. But I think when history looks back on him, he'll be remembered as being average. Probably around Clinton somewhere.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Well he has thus far stopped another mass terrorist attack on the US.

He aslo set into place a public school funding program, although it was poorly implemented.

If he gets re-elected then these programs will get ironed out, well even if he doesn't they will be.

4. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

I don't have time to research the tax cuts right now.

The economy dropped during his presidency anyway, he is just barely cleaning up his own mess.

Corporate crackdown? His good buddy Kenneth Lay of Enron hasn't got in any trouble for robbing people of their life savings.

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Specious reasoning. The rock in your driveway was also the one to stop the terrorist attacks on your house as you can plainly see, since there have been no such attacks.

6. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

I would like to buy your rock.

Oh, and www.bushin30seconds.com for some, well, bias info about some of things he's done to America. Very entertaining for anyone with high bandwidth.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Thats why it's my lucky rock.

Can you honestly say that if the US had just sat there shocked about the attack and not done anything that the terrorists would have just sat there too? If we hadn't done anything except panic then they would have attack again.

*Wonders how the hell he got himself into a political thread*

8. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

KOW, are you talking about increasing security or his militiary campaign as the action that stopped another terrorist attack?

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

No, but neither is there proof that a terrorist attack would have succeeded had there been someone else in his chair. Preventing terrorist attacks isn't anything specifically attributable to Bush's actions.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Since he is/was the active president during that time had he not reacted then the door would have been wide open for more attacks. . .any president would have done it. Technically Bush did do it though. . .

On that note I am leaving this thread never to return for I do not keep up enough on politics to contribute anything of any importance. :howdy: :howdy:

11. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

You dont have time to research tax cuts right now, but you apparently had time to post this thread instead of not researching about Bush's presidency and just talk slander about someone you dont give a hell about.

And about the economy. that has NOTHING to do with Bush. It all falls on Alan Greenspan and the Federal Reserve Board. They make all the decision's then OK it with Bush. the economy has been in a slump ever since Clinton.

Oh, and about those accomplishments:

that was done with 3 minutes of researching.

12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Bush has done something that no Republican president has ever been able to do before. He unified the Democratic party.

13. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

He always said he was a uniter.....

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Some of those points, such as reinforcing anti-abortion causes and the reintroduction of faith-based religious organizations into public schools, are very debatable as "accomplishments". I don't consider those accomplishments at all.

15. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Good zinger Mac :D

16. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

• His efforts against terrorism have thus far prevented anymore foreign terrorist attacks on our nation. Actually, unless you count the DC snipers and the like, there haven't been any terrorist attacks within our borders since September 11, 2001 and only a handful of attempts at US targets abroad. Sure, lots of terrorist attacks have happened but, against who? US allies and those supporting us, that's who. See, terrorists are like any other lowlife criminal, they want soft targets. So they are now hitting peoples and nations who aren't as stirred up and on their toes as we are.

So, he's accomplished increasing the security and safety of our country, a big plus considering the obligations of his office.
    • He's given a tax cut...TO EVERYONE
    • Unemployment is down compared to past decades and, as of February 2004 is at 5.6% (according to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics) which was considered low just 8 years ago.
    • He's cracked down on corporate corruption, regardless of the fact that much of his contributions are corporate.
    • He's taken a moral stance on issues important to him and stands by them.
    • He's a staunch supporter of our military.

Those are just the ones I can think of right now. All in all, I'm happy with Bush as a president and see no reason why I would vote for anyone else right now. I'm pleased with his efforts and I'm ok with his shortfalls.

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

He cuts the pay of soldiers and refuses to allow the ones up for discharge and retirement do so and he's a supporter of the military?? :scratch:

18. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

Please Sir, tell me how Bush ruined the economy....

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW BUSH RUINED THE ECONOMY...

Take a high school gov't economics class people!!!

Sir, you asked what has Bush done, people told you, and then you slandered. I smell a flaming troll...

19. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

If Al Gore had been elected instead of Bush,would History have been changed?
    I don't think so
    the 09/11/2001 events would have happened,Iraq would have been invaded,etc..Al Gore would have made the same decisions as Bush;Bush is not the only one to make decisions,there is a team behind him who thinks and analyzes international events for him

20. Thirtytwoandlost

Thirtytwoandlost Banned

1. Security. I live in NY. I have never felt LESS safe. Our allies are gone/wavering/hiding/fewer. The "it hasn't happen, so it must be because of Bush policy" argument regarding terrorism is sketchy at best.

2. Unemployment. It's at an ok rate.

3. This makes me laugh, are you kidding me? Many of his staff are picked directly out of the energy industry. His corporate history in Texas is utterly flaborgasting. He should be in jail. Enron. Cheany. Contracts in Iraq. He may be the biggest corporate run president this country has ever seen.

4. Taxes. If you do some research on the net you will come across MULTIPLE nobel prize winning economists discussing his economic policy. "The worst in the history of this country" is a quote you are likely to find. The deficit is flying outof control. His economic policy is bad for the economy at BEST, at worst these decisions will have negative for years and years to come.

5. I find his "moral stance" repugnant. I am not Christian or religious. I do not want God playing a role in his decisions to attack the "infidels". His religious rhetoric does NOT belong in the oval office. I find it disgusting. Separation of Church and State. This is funny, I find it hard to believe you like him taking a "moral stance", seems more likely you like him takiung a "moral stance" that is fairly in line with YOUR Christian morals. If his "moral stance" was 100% anti war, i'm not sure you would have the same feeling.

6. What president hasn't been? The budget is always huge. Democrats and Republicans alike have shown the willingness to invade, bomb, assasinate as it suits US interest. It's not like there has been a pacifist in office any time recently.