what happens when min damage > max damage

Tecibbar

Diabloii.Net Member
what happens when min damage > max damage

some unique/set items add + min damage, and a weapon's min damage could be bigger than max, what happens then?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: what happens when min damage > max damage

Max damage is increased so it´s 1 more than min damage. A good example is Isenhart´s Lightbrand, which has +10 min damage. A regular Broad Sword does 7-14 damage. Isenhart´s does 17-18 damage.

Millard

Diabloii.Net Member

aren't there vLLD builds that use nothing but +min damage jewels to take advantage of this?

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member

It is only for melee weapon damage that minimum weapon damage >= maximum weapon damage results in maximum weapon damage = minimum weapon damage +1. Note that the character screen incorrectly applies this condition to final damage when it only applies to weapon damage: if you equip a Dagger with 1-5 base damage, add 49 Minimum Damage and apply +900% off-weapon Enhanced Damage, the character screen displays 500-501 damage but 500-510 damage (based on 50-51 weapon damage) is actually applied.

The character also incorrectly applies this condition to missile damage: if you equip a Javelin with 6-14 base throw damage, add 44 Minimum Damage and apply +900% off-weapon ED, the character screen once again displays 500-501 damage but 500-140 damage (based on 50-14 weapon damage) is actually applied. In this case, when minimum damage > maximum damage the minimum becomes the maximum and the maximum becomes the minimum, so 14-50 weapon damage results in 140-500 damage.

alphaz

Diabloii.Net Member

hmm that sucks, was thinking of making a min-damage build bowazon using faith diamond bow. thanks for the explanation.

minuses

Diabloii.Net Member

Your max dmg will automatically be increased by 1 damage more than your minimum damage if your minimum damage is higher than your maximum damage.

thefranklin

Diabloii.Net Member

It is only for melee weapon damage that minimum weapon damage >= maximum weapon damage results in maximum weapon damage = minimum weapon damage +1. Note that the character screen incorrectly applies this condition to final damage when it only applies to weapon damage: if you equip a Dagger with 1-5 base damage, add 49 Minimum Damage and apply +900% off-weapon Enhanced Damage, the character screen displays 500-501 damage but 500-510 damage (based on 50-51 weapon damage) is actually applied.

The character also incorrectly applies this condition to missile damage: if you equip a Javelin with 6-14 base throw damage, add 44 Minimum Damage and apply +900% off-weapon ED, the character screen once again displays 500-501 damage but 500-140 damage (based on 50-14 weapon damage) is actually applied. In this case, when minimum damage > maximum damage the minimum becomes the maximum and the maximum becomes the minimum, so 14-50 weapon damage results in 140-500 damage.
Thanks OD, that is something I never knew before.

Toss, swish. <- Sound of me throwing plans for a min-damage WWS strafer in the trash.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Does anyone know if the elemental damage thing is also a LCS-thing, or if min damage eats elemental damage?

Expanding on ODs example with the dagger:
Same situation, but add 1-40 lightning damage. LCS will show 501-502 damage.

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member

Expanding on ODs example with the dagger:
Same situation, but add 1-40 lightning damage. LCS will show 501-502 damage.
The character screen displays 501-502 damage but 500-510 physical and 1-40 lightning damage is actually applied, for a total of 501-550 damage (to targets with no Resist %).

riv

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry for raising such an old topic, but I've been doing some testing and it seems that this is incorrect information.

I made a dagger with +63 min damage (1-4 base) and filled my inventory with +max damage% per level charms (40x 779% damage). LCS shows my damage range as 256-257 (due to str/dex), while if offweapon ED was applied *after* min-max fix, I should be doing 65 times ~31000% max damage, which is somewhere around 20k.

But when hitting mobs, my damage is extremely low on every hit, which leads me to believe LCS is correct in this case (at least until elemental damage is involved).

I can still confirm that bows and thrown weapons are not affected and simply flip min/max unlike what LCS says.

Last edited:

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member
Enhanced Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level) adds its percentage to any weapon Enhanced Damage applied to its maximum damage, before any + Maximum Damage is added (maximum weapon damage is rounded down to the nearest point): even though it's on charms, it may still behave differently to off-weapon Enhanced Damage (which applies after any + Maximum Damage is added).

4 * (100 + (40 * 779)) / 100 = 4 * 31260 / 100 = 4 * 312.6 = 1250.4

That's greater than 64 (1 + 63) minimum damage, so the dagger could inflict 64-1250 (657 average) damage before any off-weapon ED. If your experimental results seem (much) lower than that, then it's possible that Enhanced Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level) has a ceiling, and with +31,260% you may have rolled over at least once and maximum damage is being affected by a (much) lower percentage.

What damage is displayed and inflicted without +63 Minimum Damage?