Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What happens to when Gold combines with Magma/Lava?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neophase, Apr 3, 2005.

1. neophase

neophase Banned

say if I through gold into a volcano, what happens to it, and where does it go? does it come out during an erupting? how dense is it when it comes out? does it come out in atoms, molecules, or microscopic particles? Details and facts appreciated, thank you.

2. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

Well the intense heat of the magma would probably melt the gold into a liquid. I'm not sure of the boiling point of gold but I don't think it would reach that.

The gold would still be gold since magma is mostly sulfur, carbon and things like that that won't bond very easily with gold. True, it is possible for you to make gold sulfide or something like that but I don't think it would work very well.

Density wouldn't change. Density never changes unless a substence undergoes a chemical reaction.

If the magma it was contained in came out it also would come out.

EDIT: Llad would probably know this stuff better than I do. May I ask why you're asking?

3. Peregrine

Peregrine IncGamers Member

Possibly something to do with Lord of the Rings?

And the answer is yes, it comes out, but you wouldn't notice, unless you threw it in by the ton. Probably in the form of small blobs of gold mixed in with the rest of the lava.

4. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Most likely, it will melt, and if the volcano erupts, shoot out the same amount that went in, except it would be distributed far enough that it would not be visible.

There is a likelyhood that at least a small amount of it would react in the magma due to the elevated temperatures (higher temps = higher reactivity), but it is doubtful that it would all react, though it is possible.

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Gold (Au) boiling point is around 2800 celsius/5000 fahrenheit. I believe molten lava is above 2000 celsius? It would probably just melt into blobs :)

6. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I did a little research, and there are a few variables.

Gold melts at 1064.18 degrees C.
    There are a few forms of lava.
    The temperature of lava after it has erupted (it's too hot to measure the temperature inside a volcano) is about 1200 degrees C IF it is a certain kind of lava.
    This 1200 degrees is estimated as a temperature of magma at shallow levels inside the volcano.
    Depending on how high you drop it from depends on how deep into the magma it will go.
    The deeper the magma, the hotter it is.

My conclusion:
    If dropped from the top of any volcano, the gold is likely to melt and become one blob of gold that, when the volcano erupts, disperse into microscopic amounts. If slowly lowered into a cooler valcano (if you can figure out how to do it), the gold may survive the trip and be shot out as the same chuck that was dropped in.

7. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member