Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What happened to the peaceful hippie protests?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anakha1, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

What happened to the peaceful hippie protests?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/17/crime.suvs.reut/index.html

I'm wishing for the days of Woodstock again, not that I was alive during it, where protests were non-violent. Why can't people realize that going out and smashing people's things because you disagree with them is only undermining your point? People dismiss you as a whack job and you haven't accomplished crap. And this guy is supposed to be one of the educated ones, being in university and all...

People are weenies. Ugh.

2. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I couldn't make it into Caltech because I wasn't eccentric enough.

3. superman22

superman22 IncGamers Member

yeah. ur right.

so.. um... how bout them dodgers?
    :lol:

:buddies:

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

1/3. Duh if he had only killed some people then his point would have been taken seriously AND he would have help eliminate people who disagree with him.

2. Look where he goes. . .

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'm hoping someone will explain to me the logic these people are using behind their actions...

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

DAMN YOU ELF!!

earlier they had mistakenly arrested my friends roommate, now that guy was a hippie

I can see Caltech from my old house, occasionally I would shake my fist at it when I felt the need to hate on them darn evil hippies and their "physics" and "science" witchcraft

7. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

What do the american people pride most? Offspring? House? Car? Genitals?

Which of these few(possibly erronous) things are easiest to attack? I say grab them by the balls and talk some sence in to them! :D

Seriously I think they are trying to produce a wake up call by a very direct means. The easiest target of course is property that isn't normally guarded. So it's cars.

Mr Stating-the-Obvious

8. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

For a person who goes to Cal Tech, why is he so stupid?

9. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

Well he is obviously trying to save the world. Instead of prison, he should be made president or something. SUV's were created in hell by Satan himself, and then sent to plague the world.

I drive an SUV.

10. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

you cant just say their "weenies" or their stupid just because their actions are radical. You may not agree with them, but I'm sure he had some ideas to back it up. It was morally wrong, yes. But i wouldnt say stupid. Was Hilter stupid? No, he was a military mastermind. I however definity dont agree with the methods that he used, and I will always hate the things that he did, but you cant call someone like that stupid. If he got away (for a time anyways) for vandalizing 125 cars, he must be intelligent to some extent.

People like that are so blinded by their beliefs that all logic seeps away from them, and they have nothing else more to believe in than the "cause"

11. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Eep. The Hitler card. We'll just try to ignore that. This guy got away because the police have better things to do with their time than chase down petty vandals, at least until they become a real nuisance. Thats what this guy is; a nuisance that now will be sucking more resources from society in jail that the SUVs he destroyed ever could. Stupid.

12. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

125? thats more than just a petty vandal. No one has backed up their idea on this guy being "stupid" yet. give me a reason why hes stupid please. Because he believed in his idea so strongly that he did something outragous? Does that make him stupid?

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Aw, you left the best part out. You know, the part where a subdivison under construction was torched; near San Diego (I think). That did $50 million in damage, if I recall.

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

He's stupid because he thinks that a radical and violent action is going to get him any attention or sympathy for his cause rather than a rolling of the eyes and a quick trip to jail. Now anyone that hears about him is just going to have their concept of radical environmentalists as whacko, violent sociopaths reinforced. When you're trying to make a point and get people on your side, that's pretty stupid.

And take it from a police officer that tracking down someone who commits a crime that takes all of 5 seconds (throwing a Molotov cocktail through a window and walking away) is not easy to catch, considering there's no physical evidence left behind. This does not make him bright.

15. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You don't know much about the Earth Liberation Front, do you Anakha?

start here with some propaganda

ELF is not trying to 'get people on their side'. It's not your typical terrorist organization. I recommend "The Monkeywrench Gang" by Edward Abbey as reading.

16. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Hadn't heard of them before, but yikes.

Ok, well he's still stupid. Thinking that torching cars with explosives is non-violent: stupid. Getting caught for a crime that's so easily gotten away with: stupid. Destroying other people's property because you don't like their ideals: stupid. Judging others because of the vehicle they drive: stupid. Thinking that destroying vehicles that are so easily replaceable and wholly insured and thinking that it will make a lick of difference: stupid.

Yup, verdict is in. He's an asshat.

17. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Thats strange, I never heard of a physicist being an evironmentalist. Most of these people are liberal art majors who have way too many time on their hands.

18. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I've never understood the ELF. How does burning, razing, and general destruction help the world's environment?

And if this kid really wants to be environmentally friendly, he should consider that he and his children and his children's chilidren will be a drain on society's resources. He definitely shouldn't have kids and he should reconsider his own existence.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I think he should be taken out to the middle of the rainforest and be made to live off the land. If he loves nature and hates society so much, I'm sure he'd just love it... for the three days he could survive it.

20. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

He is a terrorist, this is how the terrorist mind operates....

I think this, you don't. There are more of you than of me. I can't persuade you to my side by reason so I will coerce you to my views because I am willing to do things that you won't do.

Hello Spain.