Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What got you started on D2, what got you hooked on SP, and what are your current "goals"

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dkn, Aug 6, 2019.

1. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

Good morning!

I have been completely sucked back into D2! Thought I'd write a post detailing when I started D2, what my current "goals" are for the game, and what got me hooked on Single Player.

Getting started
    I was 12 when Diablo II came out. My best buddy and I were playing Diablo and Starcraft casually. My father took us to Best Buy on the release date as it was the same month as my birthday, so that was my present. My first character was an amazon that used a maul - I got to Act 3 normal!
    I juggled Diablo II / Starcraft / Competitive Counter-Strike for a while but always came back to Diablo II. My cousin and I had two barbarians at one point. Everyone else used a lance, so to be different I used a Bec (important for my "Current Goals"). We primarily spent our time dueling 1v1 or 2v2. At one point his friend bought a dozen SoJs. I don't know why, but I thought this guy was the coolest person ever for having these.

I played on and off for 10 years. My characters and items would expire and I'd start over. Whatever patch released synergies kind of killed it for me. I had a frozen orb sorc and enjoyed spamming the spell. I also had a GA Zon I enjoyed dueling with. I would be in the Cow channels and spend hours doing endless Cow Runs. I never dedicated enough time to really get the gear I wanted as I would continue to take time off but always found myself coming back.

Getting hooked on SP
    I joined the forum here in 2011. I tried Bnet one last time and the bots just ruined the experience for me. I happened upon this forum while searching for guides for a new character. I really liked the idea of community rules, playing at your own leisure, and the method of trading here. Seemed to be much more rewarding.

I made a friend on this forum and we played through HardCore together getting our first Guardians. Along the way we created a HoTo and CTA. We both had active lives so Diablo time was precious and rare. That was a very, very fun experience and sadly I have lost contact with this person. We shared a lot of good conversations and I often wonder how his life has turned out, hopefully well. It took us about a year to Guardian on our busy schedules, but we made it. I played on and off from 2012-2014 but made little progress.

Life came at me and I could just never find time to play. My wife and I got a new home and I didn't have an office or anywhere to setup my PC so I put it in the basement. We had a big flood a couple of years ago and I assumed it was toast. We moved to a new larger home for our growing family. I work in IT so we put together a really nice office for me. While looking for computer parts in storage, I found the D2 PC! And it worked!

Current Goals
    I mainly enjoy the nostalgia. Reminds me of staying up late with friends over on LAN or playing over Ventrilo. Just takes me back to a different time before I was even aware of the stresses of the world. My current goal now in this game is to get my Summoner to 90+ to farm runes in the Secret Cow Level, my paladin geared a little better for Meph/Chaos (need that Enigma!) and use these characters to farm the items and runes to make my all-time favorite characters: Polearm WW Barb and Tal Rasha Light Sorc!

I will continue with the Necro/Paladin until I get an ethereal Cryptic Axe/Great Polearm/Thresher to make BoTD (oh, and the runes lol!). Then I'll start him. I'm missing a single piece to Tal's and a 4os Monarch and then I can create my Sorc.

That's it!

Hope anyone who read it enjoyed it :) Feel free to share your experience as well!

2. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

Nice story it was fun to read! I started playing D2 for the first time in May of last year because my friend @sir_cyclops (who played D2 in its heyday) convinced me to try it out. Been obsessed since. I don't want to play anything online with my crappy internet or anything that I can't pause or exit anytime I want, so it was always SP for me. We both started playing after he got me hooked, and then at the beginning of this year we both reset to join this forum. Been a blast. You should definitely check out the yearly goals thread HERE, but in short my 2019 goals are to get my untwinked sorceress to lvl 97 and get a character of every class to lvl 90. Happy playing and good luck :)

dkn, Fruit and Albatross like this.
  3. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

Hey thanks for the reply and the link to that goals thread. I'll post in it right now :)

Luhkoh likes this.
  4. Albatross

Albatross Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, the good old days.. I remember grinding 1.09 like mad with a bone spear / spirit necromancer. No idea how I got it to level 70. We used to play in LAN, too.. feels like a lifetime had passed since. All of my "diablo" friends eventually quit and later the whole gang fell apart. We don't hang around or play together anymore.

I've played some Bnet here and there, but it was mostly SP. Once I started lurking this forum the idea of "the grail" was planted in my head and here I am, a decade later still trying to complete it :)

Had several long breaks from D2 and the forum, several complete resets. The last few years I've established a schedule of playing around MFOs, trying to squeeze that Tyrael's out of demonic clutches.

Luhkoh, dkn and Fruit like this.
  5. Pizzaparty

Pizzaparty Diabloii.Net Member

I was probably under 10 years old. My friend had a demo version of classic d2 on his parents pc. You could not get past the burial grounds and only character available was the barbarian. Skills were limited to level 1 requirement skills.
    We killed blood raven over and over again. Gambling was crazy, you could see exotic item bases that would not drop in the game but they cost lots of gold. I remember one time I found a gem shrine and got a flawed gem, oh boy that was a treat.

Now my goal is to play hc untwinked with friends.

ioupainmax likes this.
  6. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

Very cool! Well, I play 1.14d HC FAM. If you're looking for a partner I have post in the MP thread and I'm looking for one.

Aw, you said untwinked.

I'd love to start a new untwinked char!