Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What gear for HC hammah?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Zelator, May 26, 2008.

1. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

What gear for HC hammah?

Hi folks.

So I decided to try out HC classic and people told me to make a hammerdin... I got a deal with a friend that we trade LoD HC items vs Classic HC items. So I'm wondering, what gear should I aim for?? I'd want AS MUCH VITA AS POSSIBLE.

Can anyone help?

2. CdMagicFind

CdMagicFind IncGamers Member

Re: What gear for HC hammah?

Pretty much the same as in SC.

Never put points in dex or energy, since you don't need dex for block in classic. (best part of it, imo XD)

I'd go with Iratha's + Twitch + Shard + 3PDia shield + random rings/boots with good stats if you're going from scratch. But.. I don't know much about HC. :prop:

3. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

I'm not exactly starting from scratch.. I'm buying items from a mate;)

4. Stupid

Stupid IncGamers Member

Stats: Vit only
    Gear: Magefists, rares on everything else

Besides, Hammerdins in Classic are super-lame and even more imbalanced than in LoD :p

5. barty

barty IncGamers Member

cd hit the bulls-eye.
    having played hardcore for years, id recommend the following for h-din starters [btw this is not ideal gear but have made several 85+ pals with this gear setup,never changed it cept armor, and its cheap and easy to aquire]:
    full irath set: includes gloves, amulet, belt and crown
    twitch [until 80's when u can lvl holyshield, when syns are full, to increase block % then switch to fhr life res armor]
    shard [with irath and twitch=+35 dex can have base dex and use shard]
    3 perfect diamond shield
    30 frw boots 2 resists over 30% preferrably fire/light res
    2x 10 fcr rings with either str or res fire res/ light res or w/e15-20%+
    [because resists are so importat imho]
    with this setup, u need like 35-45 base str depending on ur +str gear from armor and rings, can possibly be all vit. good setup for hc, more of a defensive hammerdin imo with res. all in the 85 and not too bad with lower res on you even. works well, is easy doesnt actually require 2 fcr rings just use +stat res rings if u wish to keep from adding much str. my .02. gl :)

6. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

Thanks barty, that helped a lot.

I dont wanna use full iratha since I got an ok pala amu for him... I'd rather go magefist/rare belt/rare helm. Is steelclash an option?

7. SHINOBIPANDA

SHINOBIPANDA IncGamers Member

no. use a +2 din shield with priz res on it. if u could get 17fhr that would be cool too because u dont need the 30/20 if u have holy shield

8. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

small correction shino,

1. the 20% faster block (speed) rate is still nice (needed) and holy shield doesn't give this.

2. (credit goes to warlock) when u *RUN* your block chance is reduced by 1/3. 75% /3 =25% block chance. even with holy shield maxed u wont reach back up to 75% block chance when running. so that 30% block chance on shield IS nice (needed) WHEN/IF U RUN.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if this is possible this would be best paladin shield (godly rare shield):

75% block chance or near it, +2 skils, high prismatic, 30% block chance / 20% block (speed) rate, +24 FHR (can shields get 24% or only 17% FHR?) or if shields cant get 24% FHR than the 17% FHR, +str, +damage returned (thorns), etc.

rares can only have 6 mods (3 prefix and 3 suffix) though. (so that above list is probably too big already:p)

9. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

Holy Shield gets your block rate to 2 frames. You need 86% to get to 1 frame, which is a lot, so the 20% doesn't help really. Also, doesn't the 1/3 penalty on block rate when running apply after all the boosts? So that 30% block is factored in before the 1/3, so it won't help you if you have Holy Shield.

Basically, if you have Holy Shield, 30/20 is not really useful for a Paladin.

10. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I recently learned from Orphan or RTB that the maximum block you can have while running is 25%, since the amount of block is reduced to a third after the capping at 75%

11. HegemonKhan

so all the added and applied stuff to blocking doesnt matter as the 1/3 is applied after all of that (holy shield, mods on shield, shield block chance, twitch), when running?

so when u run, u will always have a maximum of only 25% block chance no matter what???

12. barty

barty IncGamers Member

steelclash is definately an option. it looks pimp, being a black kite. it has low str req, inc block and faster block,has +1, and all res 15 i beleive. u could surely do worse, at mid lvls even it decent. i would use it until u get into hell cs, then u will want to get better shield. a prismatic [possibly stacked1+ res],10+ fhr, 15/10+inc c.t.b. and f.b.r., lastly i look for +skills.[just seems easier to find without +pal, and cheaper, unless u really need +skills] you'd be best off with a bone or grim, they have the best trade off for str/block rate[base 40block 25 str req i think, tower shield base 49block but 75 str req, so 50 more str for 9% more chance to block base....] with +2 30/20 tower 20 all res u would really not need any holy shield really,maybe lvl 1 with 69 chance to block :) think. dream shield would be like 100%en. def grim+2 pal 17 fhr 30/20 all res 20 with stacked res+, rep life, str or dmg reduced, if mods can appear as such.

for instance i found a 30/20 bone with 20 pris and 41 lr and 37 cr. if only it had + pally or fhr. zzzz.

@hege: whatever your total block%, if u dont have 75%, its reduce by 1/3running, so if u got 60% walking/standing, you'd only have 20% running, 75% is cap at top end, and max cap top end running is 25%.of course it can go lower with less block :) thats as i understand it.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  13. HegemonKhan

block chance and running conclusion

thanks. so if u run, u have no block, well nearly: 5%-25% (no matter if u got holy shield, twitch, shield block chance mod, base high block chance on shield).

thanks everyone for ending my confusion about this. i didn't know if running also ruined block in classic or if it was jsut a LOD effect. like the many diferences between lod and classic..dex effecting block chance..ww effected by WIAS, etc...

but i now know that running ruins block in BOTH classic and lod.

thanks again everyone who helped me get this straight.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. max cap of block chance when NOT running: 75%
    2. max cap of block chance WHEN running: 25%

3. min cap of block chance when BOTH running and not running: 5%

14. SHINOBIPANDA

SHINOBIPANDA IncGamers Member

Re: block chance and running conclusion

????plz specify how u do that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i think ill be standing still from now on when im pvpin

15. barty

barty IncGamers Member

Re: block chance and running conclusion

ya shino for reals u should try it asap lol. bvb benefits from it greatly, walking blocks far more than running.it works for all chars[so long as u have shield lol], if i ever tried running around on my smiter dueling barbs i get slaint 1-2 ww [1k life, i went 170 base str for hi def, a bad move i might add] everytime. but when i walk... takes at least 2-3[depending on how gg the barb is, barbs pretty much own smiters zz.. most of the time..]. ww does so much dmg and hits so often that it makes a noticeable difference but hard to tell a big difference unless u have alot of life , savy?, but try walking when u bvb, making small circles[ ive noticed walking into a ww directly shortens the length of time u are in ww, shortening even further the timeu can be hit, while blocking more it helps] or whatever just make sure ur walking, and you will block more and live longer. that block rate for running and walking applies only to melee attacks, afaik. btw it dont matter if u walk or runa gainst a smiter, the lil bugger is unblockable, smite hits everytime if ur in range.peace back to work.

16. HegemonKhan

1. 5% is the min *possible* chance for anything. this keeps the character from having immunities and at least having a chance to do damage even if its only 5% damage or to 5% to hit.

2. 95% is the max *possible* chance for anything (except for the exceptions: skills that "always-auto" hit". also there are some things that can't reach 95% like the jsut discussed blocking). but otherwise 95% is the max possible cap. The person or monster of the receiving end is always allowed a 5% chance for the most part.

i'm not sure if u can get your shield block chance as low as 5% though.

it was just a general comment that the game designers set the 5% for teh bottom cap and 95% for the top cap for a variety of reasons some of which i mentioned.

17. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

Well, thanks for the help guys (I don't remember why it became a holy shield thread lol).

Anyways, my pala is now lvl 52 and use the following gear:

Armor: Goldskin
    Shield: Sigon shield (looking for steelclash)
    Helm: A crappy rare helm.. I use it for the look since I don't got any better :dopey:
    Belt: I think I use sigon.
    Shoes: Hotspurs
    Gloves: Magefist
    Ring 1x: 10 fcr, 9 str, 15 fire res ring
    Ring 2x: crappy rare res ring
    Ammy: Eye of Etlich
    Weapon: Rare scepter with 1 pala, 3 blessed hammer, 1 vigor and some other stuffs

Stats:

900 life
    3,5k dmg
    ~1k defence.
    Res: 90/~40/~40/~30

I'd like more life and maybe some more damage for him, also what do a steelclash cost?

And this dude runs SLOW.. will some FRW/LR/CR boots beat the spurs? My fcr is at 30 now... kinda slow when I think of my LoD hammers :scratchchin: But this is sure more fun!!

Thank you in advance! :thumbup:

18. barty

barty IncGamers Member

spurs are pretty good for cs din, imo, possibly the best unless u get some godly rares with 30/10 40 fr 40 lr [or 40 lr 40 cr whatever ur style but fire res is important for hell cs]. if u are slow in cs, try switching to vigor/charge to next seal, frw dont really matter as long as u are charging ahead of the pack.i usually max baim last btw, and having hi lvl vigor helps with speeding up a spur pally.

19. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

I do use charge... but charge bug gets me sometimes... :yuck: