Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What exactly does iron golem get?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Senshiki, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Senshiki

Senshiki IncGamers Member

What exactly does iron golem get?

I know they get damage and defense bonuses, but anything else? Specifically:

Crushing blow
    Deadly Strike
    Elemental Damage
    Leech
    Chance to cast x on Striking/hit
    Slows Target
    Hit Blinds Target
    Chance to Freeze Target
    Stat Bonuses
    Aura When Equipped
    Indestructible? (just kidding, I wish)
    Damage to Demons/Undead
    Life After Kill

Depending on which of these are ture, what (in your opinion) is the best thing to make them out of? Not godly items, but the best throw away things. I've heard IK Maul is good.

2. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

i like to make irn golems in items with CB and life leech. also an insight one is good too

3. Perfect Hatred

Perfect Hatred IncGamers Member

Well making a IG in a Beast runeword would be cool and give your army fanaticism. Or maybe a Bramble runeword to give army thorns. Pretty expensive so you will want to have lots of points into Golem Mastery so you IG never dies or you will be out of business fast lol

edit yes I meant Bramble

4. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

You mean bramble. You can save that golem-whos-gona-die-and-waste-your-armor by just putting the bramble on a merc.

Imo the best is a solid damage weapon with good modes. Ik maul is imo the best when it comes to price, just stuff an amn or something in it, although it leaches very slowly, and has poor attack and low damage anyways.

Insight is good for mass spaming mancers who rely on a diferent merc.

If you want the golem to actually do damage, try a banaras star? I'm pretty sure the elemental damage goes over, as well as the great bonus to attack rating.

5. magnusthescott

magnusthescott IncGamers Member

hers my stupid question on this topic does reparis durability 1 in x seconds affect a golems life or anything?

6. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

no............

7. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Iron Golems don't benefit from Indestructable. They don't benefit from mana leech, since they have no mana. I don't know if they have stats or not (I don't think so, which would make +stats useless). I seem to recall that Iron Golems *DO* benefit from Life Leech (not certain, though), and I have no idea if they benefit from +life per kill (since they kill so rarely and the values are so pathetic that it wouldn't make a difference, anyway).

The rest of the listed mods all transfer to Iggy. Another thing worth noting is that if you make an IG out of something with 100% resist-all (24+% Resist Paladin Shield with 4 PDiamonds in it, for instance), your IG will be elementally immune.

8. Aldarad

Aldarad IncGamers Member

But after you used that nice item, is there a trick to keep him alive? Other than spending alot of points in IG/GM?

Oh and yes life-steal works.

9. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Pay close attention to his lifebar, teleport him out of trouble the second he gets into it. Other than Elementally Immune golems, I usually just summon my Iggies from blue or yellow junk that I was just going to sell, anyway, since there's no reliable way to keep him alive otherwise.

10. Apophis

Apophis Banned

i was thinking of making a pride ig for ubers only for the aura so i can put more auras on my merc and me..but i think the golem will die fast right?

11. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Yup. Have fun burning your high runes for nothing.:flip:

12. Perfect Hatred

Perfect Hatred IncGamers Member

Well when killing Ubers you really should use a Clay Golem, his slowing effect makes the Ubers harmless (they wont use certain skills at all) and keeps your skellies and merc safe.

13. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

They have no stats.

No need for that. Summon Resist works in combo with the IG's own elemental resists to make a Golem immune, so you need less resists on the shield.

14. Aldarad

Aldarad IncGamers Member

Which raises the question: is anotherwise "common" IG with Elemental imunity realy that great? He wont go down for Gloams (good) but neither will he do much damage (bad). Of course he migth drive Diablo mad...or would he??

15. Darker Realm

Darker Realm IncGamers Member

This question gets asked way to often, you might want to do a forum search before you post this question.

16. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

yes_Crushing blow
    yes_Deadly Strike
    yes_Elemental Damage
    lifeleech_only_Leech
    yes_Chance to cast x on Striking/hit
    yes_Slows Target
    yes_Hit Blinds Target
    yes_Chance to Freeze Target
    see_below_Stat Bonuses
    yes_Aura When Equipped
    no_Indestructible? (just kidding, I wish)
    yes_Damage to Demons/Undead
    yes_Life After Kill

I'm pretty sure Iron Golems won't benefit from Vit/Enr on gears.
    Iron Golems have 0 Str/Dex initially, however, they have a very good chance benefit from Str/Dex on gears, althought I'm not sure.

17. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

They don't combine at a perfect 100% rate. If you have 40% Resist-all from Summon Resist, and make your Iggy out of a 60% Resist-all item, I'm pretty sure you don't wind up with an elementally immune golem.

I've done very little testing with Summon Resist (only enough to know that it won't stack with the innate resistances of non-Necro summons... or maybe it doesn't even apply to non-Necro summons), but I do recall having to "over-resist" my IG (i.e. make him out of a higher-resist item than I theoretically should have had to) in order to get him Elementally immune.

18. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

There was a thread on this a long while back. Don't know if it is still around, but it did seem to suggest that you don't need to "over-resist" the IG. Haven't tested this in a long while though.

19. Breadmold

Breadmold IncGamers Member

I'm not sure I see the usefulness of having an Iron Golem. To me, it's a waste to use a good item to make a golem who won't last through to the next game. Maybe I'm missing something about it, but the only thing I can see where it'd be useful is if you were doing Uber-Tristram.

If I'm missing something, please let me know :)

20. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Iron Golems *DO* last through to the next game, as long as you have hard points in the actual skill (if you're summoning Rusty from charges of a Metalgrid, then he will not persist from game to game).

Also, who says you have to burn a good item? Don't you find ANYTHING while you're adventuring that you just sell to a merchant instead of keeping? I usually summon Rusty from random blue or yellow junk that isn't good enough to keep.