What equipment would I need?

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
What equipment would I need?

I'm back in my dorm room, and I have a small dilemma.

I have two computers, but only one ethernet data port.

I searched NewEgg for awhile, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Anyone know?

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
Get a Lynksis router. Don't let the guy at Best Buy try to get you to get a switch instead. Switches are crap.

EDIT: LOL - pwned by KOW

Drosselmeier said:
What the hell is a switch?
A router without a packet handling system and no IP addressing. It is good for getting information from one source to multiple clients, but it doesn't really work going the other way.

Gertlex

Banned
Check with the dorm, they may provide hubs for free use during the year. The do at my college (one Ethernet port and two people in the room... quite necessary...)

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Gertlex said:
Check with the dorm, they may provide hubs for free use during the year. The do at my college (one Ethernet port and two people in the room... quite necessary...)
A hub? Different than a router?

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
The amount of incomplete information in this thread is disturbing, but the bottom line is spend 50 bucks on a 4-port linksys router. You don't need the routing capabilities, but the switches also cost 50 bucks, so whatever.

Having just left a job as a network technician at a college I would imagine that the policy at your school is one port per person, so asking your IT dept. for a loner switch or router probably will not work.

Keep in mind that if your network offers public IP addresses, being behind a router that is using NAT will affect things like bittorrent.

Yes, hubs are different than routers. They are really cheap switches.
Well, kinda. Not really. Hubs are what switches replaced. Hubs are essentially repeaters (for those familiar with radio.) Hubs will broadcast any packet on all available interfaces. Switches use MAC addresses to send packets in a way that makes more sense. Essentially, hubs shout really loud to everyone. Switches find the person who the message is for and wispers it to them.

Hopefully that analogy made some sense, the gin may be doing more talking than I am. Thankfully the gin has a CCNA.

Any Linksys router(or any router for that matter) you can NAT or DHCP off, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Either way a hub/switch probably isn't the best solution for someone not inclined to computers/networking. The router is more or less plug and play, and more importantly has better support.

Star Dust

Diabloii.Net Member
SuggestiveName said:
Hopefully that analogy made some sense, the gin may be doing more talking than I am.
No matter. It seems the gin aids you in making very informative posts.

Then again, this post may be my drug of the moment doing more talking than I am.

Blah.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay, thanks to all.

I did already check with the IT department, and loaners are not available. I need to buy something myself.

I'll probably end up buying something from newegg sometime later this week.