what effects smite?

crazyskaterr

Diabloii.Net Member
what effects smite?

is smite like a regular attack? for example if you use highlords, does it have a chance of critical strike? or if ur chanted, does it increase the damage? also, can you take damage if you're iron maidened and u smite?

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator
is smite like a regular attack? for example if you use highlords, does it have a chance of critical strike? or if ur chanted, does it increase the damage? also, can you take damage if you're iron maidened and u smite?
Originally posted by CAMDEN:
"Hopefully this will end some of the threads that seem to ask the same thing :-/
This was written by Oramin and Bloodshrike on b-net's forums. I added a few examples where I thought needed

The following things work with Smite:

Bonus damage from STR (each point of STR adds 1% ED) (new for 1.10)
+Skills (increase damage a LOT)
Crushing Blow (including CB on the weapon; e.g. Black runeword)
Weapon range (see below)
Weapon speed (see below)
Life Tap (charges can be found on wands and daggers, save this for tough spots)
Freezes Target (including from the weapon; e.g. Sureshrill Frost)
Hit Blinds Target (From all gear, including the weapon and the shield)
Slow (including from the weapon; e.g. Pompeiis Wrath)
% Chance to cast (including from the weapon)
Prevent Monster Heal
Open Wounds (new for 1.10)

The following things work with Smite but do *not* display on the Character screen:

Enhanced Damage which is off-weapon (thanks to Grimble for bringing this to my attention; thanks to Mikeandroe for helping test) (new for 1.10)

The following items increase the shield damage: Redeemer, Astreons Iron Ward, Stone Crusher, Grief runeword (Redeemer confirmed by Stopherson) (new for 1.10)

Damage +X, which is the attribute that the above items have, is added directly to the shield damage just like the Holy Shield bonus. This means that any %ED bonuses which work with Smite will apply (e.g. Fanaticism). (Thanks to Mikeandroe for helping test).

The following things do not work with Smite:
Leech (life/mana)
Deadly Strike/Critical Strike (confirmed by both Oramin and Vash-dm independently in 1.11)
Knockback (apart from the standard Knockback on the skill)
Elemental damage from equipment or charms
Elemental damage from auras (e.g. Holy Shock) (the area effect will still work, just not the applied damage)
Magic damage from Sanctuary (note that I havent verified this for 1.10+ but I dont see any reason it should have changed; the area effect will still work, just not the applied damage) (added on behalf of gibbousmoon)
Gear and charms that add a set amount of damage (verified by SSJPunk) except for those items which have the Damage +X attribute (e.g. WarTravs will *not* add damage to Smite; neither will 3/20/20 scs)
Enhanced Damage on the weapon
Enhanced Damage to Demons (e.g. Laying of Hands) (Thanks to Bonkshasa and Posterboy for testing)
Enhanced Damage to Undead has *not* been tested, but it should behave the same way as Enhanced Damage to Demons

Smite speed is dependent on:

Base weapon speed (odd but true)
% EIAS from Fanaticism
IAS in gear
6 frame Smite is the fastest possible

How is Smite Damage Calculated? Version 1.11

It behaves like a standard weapon (except the %ED on the shield isn't equivalent to %ED on a weapon).

Take the shield's base damage.
Add anything that increases the shield damage.
Multiply by non-weapon sources of %ED.

For example:

(Shield Base + Holy Shield bonus + Grief bonus) * (1 + Smite %ED bonus + STR %ED bonus + Fanaticism %ED bonus + off-weapon %ED bonus) = Total damage

The reason for this section is that the LCS (Lying Character Screen) isnt necessarily accurate. If you want to know the damage that you are actually doing you should run the numbers yourself."

hope that helps
Mike

xxmunkyxx

Diabloii.Net Member
just to verify something there, war travs actually do add damage to smite, just like grief it adds direct damage to any melee attack, i have tested this myself.

xxmunkyxx :sunny:

ToThePoint

Diabloii.Net Member
wt is +min/max its not +damage so doesn't add, this is one of the simplest things in the game to test so i cant believe you got that wrong.
pretty sure strength and off weapon ed have always added this is not new, oramin only listens to himself and things he 'proves' after other people have proved.

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to nitpick, munky, because I'm bored and lunch is still an hour away: to "verify" something means to confirm/prove that it's true. You were trying to do the opposite.

Camden

Diabloii.Net Member
just to verify something there, war travs actually do add damage to smite, just like grief it adds direct damage to any melee attack, i have tested this myself.

xxmunkyxx :sunny:
To charge, yes. To smite, no, they most definitely do not.

xxmunkyxx

Diabloii.Net Member
haha its funny because as soon as i prove people wrong with even showing them with war travs in a URL you still cant accept it, IT DOES NOT SAY ADDS TO MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM DAMAGE IT SAYS ADDS 15-25 DAMAGE THAT MEANS IT ADDS 15-25 DAMAGE ON ALL OF YOUR ATTACKS THAT ARE NOT ELEMENTAL OR MAGIC PLEASE STOP TRYING TO PROVE THIS WRONG SINCE I TESTED IT 20 MINUTES AGO!

xxmunkyxx:sunny:

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
If it would add to smite damage it would say "damage +15". Or "damage +35". Not "Adds 15-25 damage".

Oh yea. Caps lock doesnt help getting your point through

xxmunkyxx

Diabloii.Net Member
nor does your sillyness, maybe i got glitched but i got extra damage when i wore war travs.

nex

Diabloii.Net Member
nor does your sillyness, maybe i got glitched but i got extra damage when i wore war travs.
You get extra dmg added to your other melee skills, not Smite. Only mod on War travs that increases Smite dmg is +10 str.

Noite Escura

Diabloii.Net Member
haha its funny because as soon as i prove people wrong with even showing them with war travs in a URL you still cant accept it, IT DOES NOT SAY ADDS TO MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM DAMAGE IT SAYS ADDS 15-25 DAMAGE THAT MEANS IT ADDS 15-25 DAMAGE ON ALL OF YOUR ATTACKS THAT ARE NOT ELEMENTAL OR MAGIC PLEASE STOP TRYING TO PROVE THIS WRONG SINCE I TESTED IT 20 MINUTES AGO!

You tested... HOW?

Ce Olba

Banned

Do you see a difference in these two?:

Damage +340-400 (varies)
Adds 15-25 Damage

Even the slightest change in the way it's put can change it. "Damage +X" is no the same as "Adds X-Y Damage", whereas "Adds X-Y" is the same as "+X Minimum damage" and "+Y to Maximum damage".

arbing

Diabloii.Net Member
sorry munky but you are wrong and you prove nothing =P (and no you don't get glitched or anything, you are just plain wrong) sorry to say that...

This is the way i tested it:(in single player using an editor):
have level 1 smite.
lowest possible damage shield
using an editor make all your helm, armor, glove, boots, belt etc. the add damage mod (not the one like grief with a single +damage mod) but the war trav one (YES they are different)

and try hitting a monster in the later act in normal (like in act 3-4) and you WILL see there is NO damage differeces.

next time try testing it out first rather than give out false information.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
sorry munky but you are wrong and you prove nothing =P (and no you don't get glitched or anything, you are just plain wrong) sorry to say that...

This is the way i tested it:(in single player using an editor):
have level 1 smite.
lowest possible damage shield
using an editor make all your helm, armor, glove, boots, belt etc. the add damage mod (not the one like grief with a single +damage mod) but the war trav one (YES they are different)

and try hitting a monster in the later act in normal (like in act 3-4) and you WILL see there is NO damage differeces.

next time try testing it out first rather than give out false information.

The information is incorrect, not false.

By putting on a pair of War Travs rather than having bare feet, your smite damage WILL, in fact, show an increase. However, that isn't the result of the +10-25 damage, as THAT mod doesn't add to smite's damage. The +10 strength on the Travs DOES, however, increase Smite's damage, so it can be said that Travs do increase smite's damage, by increasing your strength and thus the %ed.

arbing

Diabloii.Net Member
my bad =P, yea i was refering to the +10-25 damage not the +str mod on war trav. Sorry about this silly question, but what's the difference between incorrect and false? English is not my native language

ToThePoint

Diabloii.Net Member
my bad =P, yea i was refering to the +10-25 damage not the +str mod on war trav. Sorry about this silly question, but what's the difference between incorrect and false? English is not my native language
basically there is no difference in this case at all so dont worry about it.
whilst its correct that WTs add damage via the str mod on them it is not true that the +15-25 mod adds as munky claimed . ie false.
as its not fully correct its incorrect so the same.
anyway who cares about stupid semantics.. the whole arguement munky 'supplied' was based on his ignorance about the 15-25mod and nothing to do with strength.