Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what does upped mean?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by zuriel, Nov 16, 2006.

1. zuriel

zuriel IncGamers Member

what does upped mean?

Hello folks
    I was looking at the arreat summit page about upgrading an item. So... you throw in the unique item and the recipe, and you get the normal version of the item (and from one tier higher), but the unique stats remain the same?

For example, if I throw in a Jalal's, I will get out a Jalal's, only the base stats will be based on those of the Blood Spirit normal elite druid helm, and it will have a chance to get +1 to +3 to druid skills?
    Is this how it works?

2. Smorter

Smorter IncGamers Member

I think only the base item type mods are changed (e.g. basic damage for weapons, defence for armour etc)

All of the special mods of the items remain the same

Say you have a 100% ED rare crystal sword with 5% leech and +10 lightning resist and you upgrade, the 100%ED is now applied to the basic damage of the dimension blade but you still have the 100% ED, 5%leech and Lightning res. The overall damage is higher cause the base damage is higher for a dimensional blade than a crystal sword.

The catch is the requirements of the item go up too, from that of the normal/excep item to the excep/elite item, except where theres a mod that has an even higher level requirement, in which case that applies (I think)

I think thats what happens.

3. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Upgrading means to upgrade the base item of a rare or unique item up to an exceptional or elite counterpart. The actual mods on the item is unchanged; only the base item is upgraded. So your Jalal's Mane totemic mask will be upgraded to Jalal's Mane dream spirit.

4. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

It says it right on Arreat Summit:

This formula changes the base item type from the exceptional to elite version. For example Ghost Armor is turned into a Dusk Shroud. This does NOT convert the item to the Elite Unique version of the Unique Item. Unique item bonuses remain the same; only the item it's based on is upgraded. This can be used to upgrade Ethereal Items also. They will continue to be Ethereal after they are upgraded. You cannot do this formula unless you are using a Ladder Character. Also if the item is socketed, then jewels or runes and their mods will also remain. Armor refers to any sort of armor, including helms, boots, belts, gloves and shields, not just body armor.

Also, reading the source carefully will tell you that the each recipe is specific to the type of item. Meaning you can't use the same recipe (for uniques) on other types.