Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What does "quarantine" mean to a computer-virus? <

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jimmyboy, May 30, 2005.

1. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

What does "quarantine" mean to a computer-virus?

Well, I get a message that my laptop has spywhare on it. Suspecting I've a virus. I loaded up Norton and scanned.

But after detection of a virus, Norton was unable to delete the file. Instead it allowed me to quarantine the virus.

1) Is "quarantine" the same as disabling a virus?
    2) Is there a manual way to delete a virus?

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Quarantine is like locking up the virus but the files still exists. It can be usefull for certain viruses that are hard to delete because they remake themselves.

Certain free programs will not work without its own spyware and there you can lock up the spyware. The program sees that the spyware files exist and works but the spyware files cant bug you.

3. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Quarrantine basically just means it moves the file into a storage folder (generally in the AV's directory) and blocks access to it. Most AV software let you delete things that are in quarrantine, if you feel inclined to do so.

4. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I'm not sure those virus scanning programs do much of anything. you can run it and choose to delete everything, restart, wait 10 minutes and run it again and it'll still find stuff.

5. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Well without some sort of adware/spyware detector added with a virus scan..I'd say your wasting your time.

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

norton has this small problem and that is it wont delete infected spyware files if it thinks it's a system file. That's why you cant delete it. I would suggest downloading a free spyware sweeper and using that to get rid of it. I suggest any one of these:

Spybot: Search and Destroy
    Ad-aware
    Microsoft Anitspyware Beta

You can get the first two at download.com
    and you can get the microsoft one at their website.

7. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

clearsearch
    vx2
    coolwebsearch
    180assistant
    turbodownload
    ezula.weboffer
    toprebates

thanks all. these were on the laptop that MS Antispyware Beta got that Norton, Spybot, and adware failed to find.

MS Antispyware is "da bomb"... or something that all you youngings renamed groovy as.

Anyways...

thanks all. much appreciated.

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

There's also hijackthis. But you have to be careful because if you don't know how to read the log file you can screw up your computer. There are some forums somewhere that will help you. The nice guys will ask you to post your hijackthis log and they'll tell you what to delete. Some people here might even know how to do it.

9. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

If you know what you are doing HijackThis is the best possible tool to remove most spyware. If you don't know what you are doing it is the best possible tool for deleting system files and fubaring your computer. I've used HijackThis to bring more than a few computer back from the brink of reformat city.