Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What does more damage? + Some other questions

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by chickenhed, May 18, 2005.

1. chickenhed

chickenhed IncGamers Member

What does more damage? + Some other questions

Hey guys. I hope someone can help me out here :)

My first question is what does more damage? Max dragon claw with venom? or max dragon talon with venom? This is for PvM strickly.

ok now the other question. I'm debating between two builds. I want to use this character for strong hell survivability and some mf.

The first build is a trapsin with dragon talon. (ie 20 DT, 20 LS, 20 DS, 20 CBS, rest in SM and shock web synergy). the other build is a death sentry user using venom with either dragon talon or dragon claw (20 DT OR 20 dragon claw, 20 DS, 20 venom, 20 claw master, rest in SM).

Any advice on these builds, or anything else you can think of, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

DTalon and DC deal the same Venom damage over time so long as both are at a decent speed, so the deciding factor would be your STR/DEX/boot type for kick damage and claw damage.

Builds related to the some of the ones you mentioned have been covered in guides. Build 1, Build 2 (DC).

My personal opinion is that the first build would have greater leeway for more MF, as it can more readily fall back on Traps, reducing the need for safety mods(PDR, etc). On the whole, I think the first build would also be more effective and safe, as it has consolidated heavily on Traps.

But since I'm not altogether a big fan of Traps, I would rate the second build as more fun, since you'll be in melee almost all the time. However you will face some sizeable hurdles, particularly:

1) lower ability for crowd control. While you will still have DS, it isn't enough in high player games, and once the corpses run out, you will definitely run into problems. DC/Venom/DTalon are all single-monster attack skills.

2a) If you go with the DC variant, you'll inevitably run into damage problems: even with maxed DC/CM, claw damage is quite lacking in 1.10. You can make up for this by stacking on Deadly Strike and using the Mark(or some spiffy high damage claws - avoid Bartucs, +skills are mostly useless to you) but suffice to say you won't be doing a heck of a lot of damage with claws. Venom only helps partially.

2b) If you go with the DTalon variant, you'll run into either life or equipment balance problems. There are two main ways to make DTalon work:
    • Focus on ancillary mods like Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, etc. and rely on DTalon's speed to trigger them often
    -However, this method limits your equipment selection severely, you'll have a hard time balancing the need for these mods with MF and safety mods unless you're rich

• Focus on pure Kick damage by increasing STR/DEX
    -However, this forces you to skimp on VIT, resulting in a ''glass cannon'' build (high damage potential, very fragile). Normally, this build is hard to play. To compound the problem, since you want MF as well, you will have to skimp on safety mods(the last line of defense for this build), making a risky build even riskier. It's still workable, of course, but you will need to be a very cautious and patient player.

---

If you enjoy Trapping, I would definitely suggest the first build. If you don't like it that much, you have to decide whether you want this to be a serious MF build(first build), or just a normal character with MF as an afterthought(second build).

Should you decide on the second build, if you're rich or very cautious, I would suggest going with the DTalon variant as you may have an easier time finding the necessary equipment, and if you can balance the equipment well, DTalon will be more effective. If not, the DC variant.

3. chickenhed

Wonderful information, thank you very much for your reply!

Since this is my first ladder character of this season (been out of D2 for over a year) I will have no equipment to speak of. That being the case, I think my main focus IS mf. So I think the best choice for me is the dtalon-traps assassin. Just so you know, I did read the two guide you linked (both are awesome) prior to posting this thread, and those guides are the reason I was torn between the two builds.

Again, thank you for the great info, Nali. Such thought-out responses are the reason I love the diabloii.net forums :)

4. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

A pure trapper would get you further for pure MF potential. Those builds are very fun, but not ideal for mfing.

5. chickenhed

Well I only have 12 into DT, and thats where I plan on stopping it. the rest goes into traps and synergies. (with left over points to SM).

Ive read many a guide about this, but I still cant get a definitive answer. What do pure trap assassins do with lightning immunes?

6. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

In order of damage output - Fire Blast (lit immunes are mostly low-life critters), Mercenary, Corpse Explosion from Death Sentry (phys/fire - put this first if there are already bodies), Shadow Master, secondary attack - Blade Fury and Dragon Talon are the most common. The 12 points is a nice spot to stop. One thing you can do with your setup is have a weapon switch for trapping, then one for Talon (Fleshripper would be great).

The biggest reason I think a trapper is better for MF is that melee stats aren't needed. I.e. no damage reduction, no maxed resists. That leaves everything for MF and +skills. There are parts of Hell that can be solo'd with negative resists and no damage reduction.

7. Oniko

Oniko IncGamers Member

I think the MF potential on sins is more gear-dependent than class-dependent. My martial artist has around 340% MF (no MF charms other than gheeds) and she solos Throne/Baal easily, but her gear, well, it took me a few months to find/make/trade it.

I think you should ultimately base your decision on what your playing style is. I think martial artists can be as effective as trappers, although both builds will require some pretty expensive gear to really shine.