Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What do you want in the Collectors Edition?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by erichb, Nov 7, 2009.

1. erichb

erichb IncGamers Member

What do you want in the Collectors Edition?

We all know that once D3 is released, it will have a Collectors Edition version. I'm sure it will have some of the following: Special item/items, Art Book, Mini Figurine, Bonus DVD(the making of D3), Cloth Map, Soundtrack, or Additional Content/Levels. Of the ones listed above, or some additional ideas that you may have. What would you like to see in the CE?
    Also, will you be buying the CE or just the standard version once it's released?

2. Ammareddo_Fritter

Ammareddo_Fritter IncGamers Member

Re: What do you want in the Collectors Edition?

I want to see stuff like what class was turned into the Barbarian (what it was originally), artwork for the Witch Doctor's Wickerman spell that was removed (booo), the first two art styles that were "too dark," what the light radius looked like - basically everything that was once part of the game but removed before we got to see it. It could all go on its own art CD.

3. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Anything EXCEPT what Bioware did with Dragon Age in the Digital Download version of the CE (not the disk version), i.e. include actual valuable extra game content, giving a gameplay advantage to buyers of that CE version.

What's worse, some of this content was available at extra cost for folks who didn't get the CE (or who got a different version)... with an NPC in game hawking the items, via a quest that can't be completed unless you buy the DLC >< As satirized in this Penny Arcade comic:

[​IMG]

So, yeah. I don't care what it is, so long as it is not in-game content. Especially with a multiplayer game like D3, if the CE and the regular edition have different content, you split the player base -- the two groups would not be able to play together.

But even in a single-player game like DA, the decision to handle the CE and DLC the way they did has led to massive community protest.

4. Low Key

Low Key IncGamers Member

Preferably, I'd like to see no "Collectors edition" hogwash and just have one type of the game released, all of which have moderate goodies, like say the soundtrack + maybe a nice mini-poster.

All I want, personally.

(edit) Personally I sort of liked the Dragon Age approach for one reason. Having the collectors edition material available as a DLC is very nice for the people who do not have the time or money to either pre-order a more expensive version months before release, or having to track down a copy from Ebay at increased prices.

It's nice that the people who bought the normal version could later on by the extra ingame content for rougly the same price as the collectors edition would had cost extra.

5. Coleridge

Coleridge IncGamers Member

Grunty the Murloc Marine.

6. GuardianHadriel

GuardianHadriel IncGamers Member

the master chief helmet

7. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Special item/items? No. Art Book? Yes. Mini Figurine? Meh maybe, I could see them releasing 5 versions of the CE each with a different Figurine. (Sounds like something blizz would do) Bonus DVD(the making of D3)? Sure, why not. Cloth Map? Last thing I need is another cloth map... thanks bioware. Soundtrack? For sure. Additional Content/Levels? Yes, but here is the thing; I don't want additional content for D3. But what I would like is for them to say update D1 (maybe even D2 if they could do that in 2 years) using the D3 engine, kind of like what Valve did with Half-life when Half-Life 2 came out.

If it had most of the things I said yes to then, yes.

8. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

That extra game content (DLC) was included because the digital download CE versions of Dragon Age obviously didn't come with the cloth map, tin DVD case etc that came with the physical CE version, so Bioware had to add something to make up for that. That DLC can be purchased separately ($7), so the only "useful" thing you actually get when buying the digital CE edition is a handful of in-game items. IMO those aren't worth it.

Having said that, I agree the whole preorder thing was handled pretty fubar and mostly served to confuse the heck out of people (someone even made a CE preorder guide to clear things up). Hopefully Blizzard will not follow in Bioware's footsteps.

Still, I guess I can't complain about my regular copy preorder. Ordering it from abroad (UK) was 20% cheaper than ordering from a local vendor and I managed to get the preorder items to boot, even though those were reserved for UK residents only. Now, if only the damn game was here...

As for the D3, I've never bought a CE since I don't care much about the collectibles/trinkets. I guess a soundtrack and "making of" DVD are pretty given. Other than that, given the funny kind of things Blizzcon attendees usually get in their goody bags, pretty much everything is possible.

9. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

I'd like there to be 5 ce-versions - one for each class. And in each a storybook (and I mean "book") about "adventures of the past" of one of the characters.

I sure hope there'll be a printed manual with a lot of storycontent available in the "normal" box. But it for once would be nice seeing gimmicks not only restrained to collector editions. (These good ole times *humms*)

10. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

Night vision goggles.

11. dawgma

dawgma IncGamers Member

Definitely want to see an in depth look at the early development of D3. The first concepts by Blizzard North and the several art style iterations (i.e. the dark and realistic look that they decided was not going to work).

12. Silverfang

Agreed. With a for a commentary function that you can switch on, if you want to know why a shown idea made it (or not) into the rehauled version.

13. erichb

erichb IncGamers Member

For yourself or on your character? :jig:

14. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

That's not what happened though. The stuff they were asking for money for came free with the DIGITAL collectors edition, but not with the DISK collectors edition, which means that you could pay the CE price and STILL have to pay extra for that content. And most people who bought the disk-based CE didn't realize that.

The people who are most pissed off, though, are the people who don't want the extra content but are still stuck with a permanent questgiver in their game offering an unfinishable quest... especially since said questgiver is located in the player's camp. which you have to visit often if you expect to get any NPC nooky ;) Convenient for the folks who want to spring for the DLC, sure. Massively annoying for everybody else.

It's not the fact that there's DLC; lots of games have that. It's the fact that there's this constant in-game reminder that the game you bought is incomplete unless you cough up more cash. That's a first, I think, except for free-to-play micro-transaction based games.

Anyway, here's hoping this isn't the start of a trend, and D3 doesn't go this route :p With all game publishers looking actively at new models for "monetization", I'm very afraid.

15. Atelje

Atelje IncGamers Member

i want a dvd show behind when they worked with diablo3! Fun to see one full day for Diablo3 programmers :=)....

16. Jürgen

Jürgen IncGamers Member

First and foremost, a soundtrack cd is all I want in my CE. It would be nice to have a Making-Of DVD, and maybe an art booklet.

From a practical point of view, I don't need any of the other stuff.

17. cheapostar

cheapostar IncGamers Member

starcraft 2's final release date... or a 1:1 scale model of Mephisto

18. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

sc2 will be out before d3, I'll bet!

I do not care for extra digital content.

But I want other stuff: At first it has to come in a stable box like in the good old times. Then I would like a cloth or synthetic leather map and a poster of a random game character. Also a small lore booklet would be nice but that's probably too much to ask for these days...
    As a gimmick there should be a diablo button pin in the box, so everybody who would see my bag will know I am a fan :)

19. Nahlraka

Nahlraka IncGamers Member

I hope this is a joke. Who would want to buy five slightly different versions of the same highly priced game?

What I want to see:

Blu-ray/DVD with all cinematics [maybe a 'making of' too?].
    Soundtrack CD.
    Art book.
    A very thick manual beautifully printed with lots of lore.
    Poster and/or map.
    And, as stated before, a nice sturdy box to keep it all in.

They could make a figurine and I wouldn't complain, but it's not necessary. As long as they don't make it ugly.

Please, no digital content.

20. Silverfang

No ordinary gamer does. And who needs a lot of different stamps. No one would buy 5 different stamps of the same value simply because there different... Oh, wait! There are the collectors... ... ... Ain't we talkin' about a "collectors" edition here? Why "collector" if it's just about all the same, tiny gimmicks pushed into all of them? The "all the same, tiny gimmicks" I'm awaiting in a normal game box (man, a real leathermap in Ultima V :D) or bonus box (edit: Call it "1337-Box", 4 christs sake...), but not in a ce. (Just taking the people by their words :girly:) Ahh... and by the way: Are we talking about a game here, whose main focus is on collecting things? Should we expect the same stats on each item now?

I have nothing to neglect from your list, though...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009