Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SelfBaisResistor, Feb 9, 2004.

1. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

What do you think?

Ok so I need an opinion on this one. This girl I'm talking to is 22 years old and still lives home with her parents. I just asked her out to a movie tonight but said that she couldn't go because her mom won't let her. She is an only child as well. Has this ever hindered your progress on the dating scene? Does it seem strange that since she's 22 her parents are still this overprotective?

2. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

She could be telling you "no" in a nice way.

3. KillerQueen

KillerQueen IncGamers Member

She could be....
    I am 22 but I am married. When I was like 18 I still lived with my Dad and he had no say over what I did. I paid a part of the bills and everything to help him out, but still. I find it very strange.

Is she in college? I can understand if her parents are paying for college and everything and they don't want her out on a school night. Maybe thats it?

4. SelfBaisResistor

I don't think so. She was excited about going to see a movie and then we got cut off. After I got ahold of her again she still had made arrangements about going to a movie (probably Big Fish.) Then out of nowhere she said that her mom said she couldn't go. Then we talked for another 45 minutes.

5. SelfBaisResistor

No she graduated a month ago and she's unemployed. I'm the one who has to go teach the next morning and I wasn't concerned much about time.

6. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

It does indeed seem strange. Then again, don't judge until you have the full picture.

At first glance, it may seem like she needs to grow up and become independent, but there may well be underlying reasons that explain her relationship to her parents.

Then again, as suggested, she might just be trying to brush you off... ;)

7. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

Here in Japan, my coworker was forced by her parents to live at home until the age of 28, when she got married and moved out on her own.

Yes, I think that's weird, but as long as she lives with her folks, she has to accept the badness.

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I think you got rejected :(

Maybe ask her again

9. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Maybe there's a good reason that she can't share because it's too personal. If I lived at home at age 22 and my dad were in the hospital or something, I know I wouldn't be allowed to do anything if it was a viewing time and I also know that I wouldn't be telling people I just met.

10. SelfBaisResistor

You never know you all make good points. She did say when can we go out though, so I see it as her being enthuiastic. I mentioned next weekend to her and she seemed ok with that. I'll keep you all posted.

11. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

It could probably be some lame excuse to say no. Or it could be that she really is living at home at the age of 22 and her parents tell her what to do. I stride not to be like that. Nothing wrong about it, just that it makes people look at you funny.

12. Raft Boy

Raft Boy IncGamers Member

This is pretty much what I'm thinking.

Hey Hats. :wave:

-Rafty

13. GIR

GIR Banned

Maybe she's listening to her parents because she's 22, and shouldhave a job, and at least some crap apartment somewhere, and she doesn't want to cause any trouble with her parents because they're letting her live there for free at that age.

That, or we file you under "Z" for "Rejected."

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

If I was 22 and still living at home without a job I'd shoot myself. Just a personal opinions, not trying to be offensive to anyone here. But I've been moved out and on my own (with support from the 'rents while I was in university) since I was 17, so I'm biased.

15. BasTyra

BasTyra IncGamers Member

Is this an internet ladyfriend? If so, perhaps her parent said they didnt want her meeting a strange bloke from the net and she respects her parents.

There is probably some other reason behind it we know nothing about.

16. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

How appropriate that this was posted tonight, as just today did it become clear to me how much my girlfriend's parents are ****ing control freaks.

Yesterday, my sister came up from San Diego for my birthday and to meet my girlfriend. Her, my girlfriend, my best friend, and I went to dinner. As soon as we get our food, the phone calls started. For 20 minutes my girlfriend was buried in her cell phone, getting more and more pissed off. As soon as she hung up, another phone call came. Evenetually she said "I have to go call my sister" and left the table. I went to look for her 5 minutes later and found her in tears by the bathroom. She wouldn't tell me what was going on though. But basically, she was removed from our entire dinner. And she tells me "I have to go right home after this." So she left.

I talked to her late last night and found out some very bad news. Her father is such a psycho control freak that her entire family is conspiring to keep me a secret from him (including her mother).

On her way out the door to see me yesterday, her dad and sister were walking up her driveway and her dad said "hey, we're gonna go see (her sister's) new house. You're going right?" Her mother ended up making up something about a financial aid meeting and got her father to turn the car around. But then he thought she was at work last night. He called and left her a message saying "don't go home after work, come straight to my house." He called her mom to find out directions to her work so he could go there. All the phone calls at dinner were her panicking to keep this a secret from her dad. She ended up crafting a story with her sister as to why they didn't answer their phones. So I'm still a secret.

Today, my actual birthday, was just for my girlfriend and I. She came and picked me up, and went back to her house. I met her mom. Her mom seemed completely disinterested in meeting me. She said hi, then went back to her newspaper. That was it. So we left, and went to eat. As much as her mom seems to be happy for her having a boyfriend, she doesn't seem to want us hanging out that much. She calls every hour to find out what we're doing, where we are, etc. If my girlfriend doesn't answer, her mom keeps calling until she does. If she turns her phone off, she gets a verbal *** kicking from her parents for not answering her phone. So after dinner we come back to my place and disappear into my room. Around 9:00, her phone rings. She ignores it. It stops.
    Voice mail beep.
    10 seconds later, another phone call.
    It stops.
    It stops.
    It stops.
    My girlfriend just gives up, and leaves.
    2 minutes later, another phone call.
    She answers, and tells her mom she's stuck in traffic.

This is a common thing. She has to be home by like 8:00 every night. 9:00 tonight since it was my birthday. She's 18 years old!!! Why the hell can't they just leave her alone???

This is SO frustrating for me. How can parents do this to their kid?

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Ev, your story makes me so glad I had normal parents. I could do whatever I wanted as long as I acted responsibly and never betrayed their trust, which I didn't.

I think I'll go call mommy and tell her how much I love her now.

18. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

God I know. I used to think my parents were bad. Now I love them so much for giving me so much freedom that I never knew I had.

19. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Sounds like you should just send her dad naked pictures of you and her and just get it over with. Almost sounds like it isnt even worth it.

20. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

ouch...looks like I didn't have that bad control freak parents afrerall...

Ever since I turned 7, which was the first year in school, I went to school by myself by public transport or simply by walking about 2-3km. About at the age of 9 I was allowed to go to the city alone as long as I let them know where I was and when I was coming back.

At the age of 15 all I was expected to do was call home if I wasn't coming back for dinner, so that my mom wouldn't save the food for me, well, atleast not on the stove.

At the age of 16 my mom was surprised if I even told them where I was going, or if I was at home for more than 2 hours. The longest streaks I was away was around 3 or 4 weeks with my band while gigging...

Nowadays when I'm 26, and see all these helpless 18 year olds who can't do basically anything by themselves because they've never been allowed to do those things, I really can't but wonder where the world is coming to...

Oh and the reason I thought my parents were control freaks was that they required me to notify them if I was coming home for the night :lol:

"I'll be back some year" was my normal response when I walked out the door...