Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What do you think of my new assassin?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Indecisive, May 27, 2008.

1. Indecisive

Indecisive IncGamers Member

What do you think of my new assassin?

Skills:

• 18 Dtalon
    • 20 Venom
    • 20 Fade
    • 1 Death Sentry + prereq
    • 1 Blade Shield + prereq
    • 1 Mindblast + prereq
    • 1 Shadow Master + prereq
    • 1 Cobra + Tiger which was 2 points wasted because I never use these.
    • 1 Dragon Flight + Dragon Claw which as another 2 points wasted because I never use these

And now the fun part, the equipment:

• Crown of Ages socketed with two IAS/resist jewels
    • Enigma AP
    • Ber'd Stormlash
    • 35 FCR Spirit Shield
    • Upgraded Gore Riders
    • T'rang Oul Gloves
    • 1 Raven
    • 1 FCR ring with leech and resist
    • Anni
    • Torch
    • 5 FHR small charm with mana

As for belt and amulet, right now I'm using String of Ears and Crescent Moon for leeching. I'm not quite sure if that's such a great option, but I'll keep my eyes open for rares and crafted amulets and belts.

This sums up to:

• 10% Open Wounds
    • 14% Mana leech
    • 19% Life leech
    • 25% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    • 50% physical resist with fade
    • 60% IAS from equipment (-10 WSM) (8/3 talon and 10 fpa trap laying)
    • 65% FCR (11 frames)
    • 68% Crushing Blow
    • 75% Resist to All in hell with fade active
    • 90% Faster Hit Recovery (4 frames)
    • + 199 Mana
    • + 96 Strength (at level 83)
    • + 61 Dexterity
    • + 56 Vitality
    • + 34 Energy
    • Magical Damage Reduced By: 22
    • Cannot be frozen
    • 15% Chance to Cast Level 10 Static on striking
    • Average added elemental damage ~300

I also have 180 unused stat points which I'm thinking will go either into dexterity for block or vitality for life. What do you think is best? I would need to spend at least 110 stat points for max block. And Spirit shield does not have bonus to faster block rate, which means that I will block at 5 fpa which is the slowest block rate, and even slower than I recover from hits (4 fpa), so I'm leaning towards life instead of block .

I haven't played with a merc yet, so that will be interesting. I'm planning on using a defense or might merc with Eth Reapers, Eth bugged Treachery and Ethereal Andariel's visage. But even though I like the extra IAS from Treachery (1 fpa faster with Reaper's), I would like my merc to have more defense, and then let it use defensive aura. So Fortitude would be very nice (ctc chilling armor and 300 ED to polearm which means better lifeleeching). But that would force me to put a Shael rune in the Andy helmet. To not have FHR is no good, because you need very little to speed up the hit recovery animation. I mean the difference between 0 FHR and 20 FHR is 4 fpa! And the difference between 20 FHR and 60 FHR is another 3 fpa! So I'm wondering if stone isn't better choice after all, even though Fortitude looks like the best choice at first glance.

Finally what do you think of this setup? And do you have some game experience that speaks against my theories?

Thanks.

2. improvius

improvius IncGamers Member

Re: What do you think of my new assassin?

PVM or PVP?

The first thing I'm noticing is a lack of AR. If you are going PVM then I would use Jah instead of Ber in your Stormlash. Also if this is PVM then more than 1 pt. in Venom is probably a waste.

3. Indecisive

I'm playing PVM only.

The raven ring gets me up to 6354 AR. Without it, I'm down to 3690. Is this low?

What do you mean by venom is a waste? It does deal damage doesn't it?

4. improvius

Yes, 6K is low. My normal gear is 10K, which is still a bit low. My ubering gear puts me at about 13K, which is enough to get the job done, but still on the low side.

You're not going to get that much PVM help from all that venom, so 1 point is probably enough. You'd be better off pumping points into DS, DTalon (which would help your AR), or your shadow master. If you're going to be using DS you should just go ahead and max it, as you'll do more damage from the increased explosion radius than you will from the venom points.

5. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

my $0.02....

don't go for max-block with a spirit shield (your not a pally, so just don't do it), swap the spirit out for a stormshield. this way you can run BoS rather than Fade and still have near-max DR (depending on how good that CoA is). or if you want to keep fade, run a Sanctuary shield and have godly resis. another option is a Gerkes Sanctuary for gosu iDR.

ditch the trangs gloves and go with dracs (lifetap is t3h sex in pvm), trangs are a pvp glove.

pump death sentry. a bigger corpse explo radius is your main killing skill.

for your ammy: i'd be looking for something with the Of Life Everlasting suffix (+25iDR) and either skills or res as a prefix (fyi: kickers don't need huge +skills)

as for belt, go wild. a t-gods is nice. some sort of insane rare is nice. Credendum set belt is also pretty handy.

6. Indecisive

Ok thanks for your points.

I like to have fade because of all that extra resist and no need for stormshield. However, I know that stormshield has very nice FBR and 35% DR. With my 12% DR from CoA that will be total 47%. I could go for max block with a stormshield. That wouldn't be wrong, and get alot of smallcharm lifers.

The thing is that, if I don't use fade, then my 2 IAS jewels into my CoA have no real use, since I use BoS. And the IAS from my CoA gives me 1 frame from fastest kick and 1 frame from fastest trap laying. That's not much IMO, and I get nice % length reduction to curses from fade.

Venom might not be great for PvM as you say. I did pump up my dragon talon for more AR anyway though.

The reason I choose spirit shield is that:
    1. 35 FCR!
    2. 55 FHR!
    3. 35 resist to all (except fire)!
    4. Additional mana
    5. 2 additional skills to all isn't that bad either (more AR from talon for example, and allows me to use less skillers to hit level 30 talon)

It has all the things I need really, to hit the breakpoints. Without spirit, it'll be hard to get good FCR and FHR without sacrificing any other good stuff.

I didn't know that you increase the corpse explosion radius with more points in Death Sentry, so I'll definately do that.

As for AR, I'll try to increase it somehow. I have my eyes on metalgrid amulet with sexy 450 AR and 35 resist all.

Tgods is a nice belt for sure. At least in baalruns. My stormlash also has some lightning absorb, so with the Tgods belt I get 25 lightning absorb.

I agree that T'rang gloves isn't that great, but I did get 20 FCR which is needed to hit the 65 FCR breakpoint. If I remove this glove, I need to compensate with FCR items elsewhere. True, a better choice would be to use Arachnid belt, as it pushes me towards level 30 talon. I also like dracs with lifetap. However, when I get my merc Reaper's Toll, this curse will be overrid by decr. curse. Though I do like the high lifeleech that it provides.

OT: I like lifeleech and manaleech alot. How come noone uses lifeleech on any forum?

7. Indecisive

I would like more iDR, but I'm not exactly sure what I need to sacrifice in order to get more of it. AR is a problem as improvious pointed out.

8. Indecisive

I just tried metalgrid with 437 AR, and raven with 237 AR and another ring with 18 AR. At level 28 dtalon I had 8700 AR. Then I increased to level 30, and got 9200 AR. :eek:

So skills really do matter. I'm thinking of getting martial arts skillers, just to increase AR and get 36 dtalon for 1 more kick.

If you go for maxblock (300 dex or something like that) you get alot of AR as well. According to formula, we have

and

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  9. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

MA charms help some with damage too, but in terms of CtH alone you'd still be much better off with AR charms.

10. theBanger

theBanger IncGamers Member

Ew crown + fade....:thumbsdown: I would stick with a Shako, but if you really want to use crown consider Schaefer's or stone Crusher. At least you can be a Ninja Carpenter or something.

11. Indecisive

Sorry for all the text.

BigEyedBUG, I haven't checked the difference, but I believe you because of the formula. However, having 36 skills in dtalon means another 3 fpa kick, which isn't too bad?

theBanger, I'm not that interested in looking good, but thanks for the input. :)

12. improvius

Well, I think you can get to a point where you have too many kicks. If you're consistently killing things in 3 or 4 kicks, then you're wasting time on the remaining 3 or 4 follow-up kicks. But get a bunch of MA skillers and try it out - they're fairly cheap, and you can swap them out easily enough if you don't like the results.

13. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Absolutely. Though for my tastes that's verging on too many kicks, even in PvM, as I don't like being locked into an attack for too long. That's just me though, and I don't think with all of your equipment that it'll be much of a practical issue.

14. Indecisive

What?! Are you saying that she will keep kicking after the monsters are dead?

15. improvius

Yup. Even if the first kick kills the target, she will still execute ALL of her follow-up kicks.

16. Indecisive

I'm not killing things in 3-4 kicks. It's 12 kicks rather, so I guess it's not so bad with more kicks after all.

17. Indecisive

Nevermind...

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  18. prion

prion IncGamers Member

eth rune in your weapon might help. (-25% target defense)