Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What do you think of Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Night, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Night

Night IncGamers Member

What do you think of Harry Potter?

What do you all think of the Harry Potter series?
    Please make note of which books you've read n such :)

gogogo :thumbsup:

2. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I ****ing hate it.

3. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I haven't read any of the books, but from what I understand it motivates alot of kids (and adults ;)) to read. So I guess it can't be that bad.

4. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

It's funny to see people's reactions to it...I knew a lady who let her kid play *crowbar swings* but not read the books or see the movies...my mom got a email from a lady and there was a link at the bottom reading "See the true satanism of Harry Potter at my site" and when you went to the site, it was selling Mary-Kay cosmetics

They're decent books, but shitty movies/games/toys and such as because your imagination (well, mine) is tons better than anything they can put on the screen...and they dumb it down a bit on the movies as well

Note: Writing can pay off, as J. K. Rowling went from dirt poor to the 2nd richest person in England...(and it cant be all so bad if that many people read it)

Edit: I've read the books and seen the movies, and the books are better by far (as it almost always is...)

5. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I have read all of them, they are very good books actually. (Once you get over the fact they are supposedly meant for a kid.)
    Currently reading the Prisoner of Azkaban in Spanish. (Trying to crash course myself in Spanish after 4 years of classes so I can pass the AP exam.)

And the books really are page turners because you want to see what happens, the second and third book were a bit lack luster after the first one(still really good books though), but the fourth and the fifth more than make up for it.

6. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

sad to say, but i like the movies, i """"read"""" the books for a bookreport or two my senior year :bonk:

7. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I think he is going to hell for practicing witch craft....lol.

8. Night

Night IncGamers Member

I've read 1-4 (up to The Goblet of Fire), and I read the Goblet of Fire right around when it came out and I haven't read any Harry Potter since.

I've decided I want to read The Order of The Phoenix and until I can get my hands on it I've picked up book 2 and have begun re-reading it so I can refresh my memory a bit..
    I've found that I still enjoy reading the books, they're well put together and flow quite nicely. The writing gives you a great idea of whats going on while still letting you add your own flavor to the scene...well, I think so atleast :)

EDIT: When's the next one set to come out...?

9. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

The books are pretty good, but there are just way too many scenes where the main characters do some pretty stupid things. Plus after reading it...I've always wondered...if Voldermort is so "invincible" against magic what if someone shot him? :scratch:

10. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

*breaks out the pitchforks and gasoline*

11. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Next movie comes out June 4th for Prisoner of Azkaban.

As for the next book? I doubt even J.K. could even guess...I mean, Order of the Phoenix came out almsot 6 months after it was supposed to...and they just keep getting thicker and thicker...

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I read the first four books. Haven't gotten the fifth yet. I thought they were good books--quality children's literature, and about 1,100 times better than Robert Jordan's output as far as fantasy writing goes.

The movies aren't as good as the books, but they aren't totally disposable either. Plus Gary Oldman as Sirius Black should be pretty sweet.

13. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I heard a rumor that Rowan Atkinson (Black Adder, Mr. Bean) was going to play Voldemort.

EDIT: A serious rumor from a movie website (IMDB? can't remember).

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

The movies were ok. Nothing I'd pay more than $10 for, though. Never read the books.

15. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Books are a relaxing, easy-read that still keeps it interesting...movies just don't do it for me...I have the first 5, and I'll buy the last two...nice break from more "adult" fantasy adn science fiction

16. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I read the first two books and saw the movies.

The books were so-so, and the movies were paralyzingly boring. Try Eoin Colfer. (sp?) The Artemis Fowl series is much better as far as children's fantasy books go.

Mith

17. mouschi

mouschi IncGamers Member

Is the series set to end at some point, or will Rowling milk it until she runs out of ideas? Does it end when he graduates?

18. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It's planned as a seven-book series: one book per school year until Harry's class graduates and he kicks some Voldemort butt. Oops, did I give that away?

19. Alpha-Plus

Alpha-Plus IncGamers Member

Thanks Durf.... but i think that was obvious.

I read all books, seen some of the movies.
    Movies were crap, first 4 books were engaging, but had lost interest in the 5th. Its still good, but not nearly as good as the first 4. And i think its doing a whole lot of good, making kids and parents read more.

20. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

I've read all the books and seen both of the movies. It's not a series I read to be stimulated, but it's a nice, non-taxing read that I can really get caught up in.