Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What do you think: Baal vs. Pit

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by FattyMcGee, Feb 2, 2004.

1. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

What do you think: Baal vs. Pit

My sorc can run baal solo just fine for mf, and same with the pit. Each take about the same amount of time, including teleing to the area. Also, I'm able to use the same amount of mf for each (403%) and still kill effectively.

My question is... assuming it takes the same amount of time, which do you think would be better to mf the higher items (tal armor, ik armor, tomb reaver, etc etc)???

The minions + baal are fewer monsters, but baal drops way better than a normal unique monster. There are more monsters in the Pit, but fewer drops per monster.

Help me out guys/gals! which is best for my sorc to do???

--fatty

2. .sin

.sin IncGamers Member

I'd say:
    Go Go Baal!

if not for the rewarding feeling of more drops :wink2:

rgds
    .sin

3. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Go Baal. Period

Pit runs are for the less powerfull players, though much CAN be found there too.

4. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Baal runs are a much higher risk, and most times Baal (and minions) more than likely will drop crap. I'd rather stick to the Pit, where it's easier and faster to kill, and for the the same treasure/area class. And Pit runs are much faster than Baal runs, especially with a good sorc.

I've found more stuff running the Pit than I have from running Baal. I've also died awhole lot less.

-X

5. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

posted by Stiertje:
    "Pit runs are for the less powerfull players"

Altho in my case, pit and ancient tunnels are for the lazier players. :p

(gogo click click die!)

6. Shug_Ninx

Shug_Ninx IncGamers Member

None of the above: I prefer Mausy and Crpyts. :cool:

7. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

Pit all the way. I have run 100s of Baal runs and found absolute crap. Pits on the other hand made me a rich man.

8. FattyMcGee

I've found a tals armor, 2 ss and boneshade in just the last 5 baal runs... but that doesn't factor into my question. I'm not trying to be rude, but it doesn't really matter what YOU found personally, because that's mostly chance when it comes down to it. The point was since I can mf both at comparable speeds, which would give me a better drop ratio?

So the consensus seems that if my sorc is powerful enough to do baal runs quickly (I usually do baal+meph in a 4-4.5min game), then this is the best place to go for items... better than the more monsters/fewer drops per monster of the pit.

thx for the replies guys ;)

--fatty

9. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

I will refer you to the title of your thread "What do you think: Baal vs. Pit "

And I told you what I think.

10. labyrinth

labyrinth IncGamers Member

m0nk don't know jack

Yeah, that's right. Don't listen to m0nk. He only wrote one of the best sorc build guides ever (CL/FO). Of course he has listed some pretty cruddy current equipment for his sorc, as all of us who have 10 annihilus charms and twice as many zods can say.

Right now I'm one of those lazy weaker players that is enjoying the Pit. Never got any elite uniques before the patch, now I expect one every run or two in the pit. The Mausoleum seems even easier than the pit for a sorc heavier on cold tree, and I haven't tried out some of the other lvl 85 maps. The most effective way to get items, though, is to find some dupe like that rune dupe and then make a mint on e-bay. Then you get real gold instead of the crap that spews out of the monsters when they die (ever wonder how many work hours went into making the gold flying in the air animation?). If I could clear Baal/Pit in 4 minutes, I would probably mix it up and do a few other areas, too since I get sick of doing the exact same thing 500 times over. Might as well play minesweeper then, right?

11. FattyMcGee

I listened to m0nk, which is why I replied to his post. Plus, I respect the effort it takes to put together a guide, but making a sorc guide doesn't make his posts infallable when it comes to mfing, which is a completely different subject than building a successful sorc. And... are you trying to imply I'm rich on ladder? because this is my first character on West ladder, my only one thats beat hell, I have no zod, no anni, no tal set, etc. I merely built my sorc well, and play her accordingly. Don't assume plz, it misleads us all.

@monk: I guess I just expected more of an objective answer from a poster such as yourself. instead of a "do pit runs, because I didnt find anything good when I did some baal runs," I was expecting something more like "pit runs are better than baal runs because since you kill so many monsters, and with significant mf you can get a good drop ratio from each pit monster, so you'll end up with more good drops." (hypothetical answer of course.)

So technically, you did answer my question from the thread title. I see your decision, I just didn't see the reasoning behind it, which is why it didn't help me as much as a reasoned post would. No offense to you however: I agree, the pit can make you a very rich person with a little luck and a little patience.

This was probably a pointless post in the first place; i guess everyone has their favorites, and it doesn't have much to do with what % chance they have to get good items; rather, what good items' they've got in the past. O well, I'll try some of each and just see what I like I guess.

--fatty

12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Hmm, if anybody read the MF guide for pits and all the other lvl85+ areas, like World Stone Keep in the commnity section the answer is very easy.

The most important thing to realize is that for those AreaMFing to be more effective you need to join 8-player games.

So if you can Solo 8-player Hell-games in worldstone keep, in the same time that you can Solo 8-player pit i'd say, go for Baal, otherwise stick with Pit/Mausoleum/Ancient tunnels

With my Meteorb-MF build soloing 8-player hell games in Worldstoenkeep would take quite some time, while doing the pits takes alot less time.

13. FattyMcGee

I do baal runs alone, or in 2-3 player games... never in 8 player games. your'e right, with a meteorb sorc, it would take quite a while... much longer than the pits.

However, I've always found it kind of tough for me to find a suitable 8player game to do pit runs in. I try trade games, and everyone leaves to quickly. I try baal games, and everyone asks me to tele there/flames me for not being with them. I try lvling/questing games, and ppl are constantly begging for help or asking me to leave so the monsters won't be as tough.

Where the heck do you get all these 8player games for pit runs, without pissing people off or having everyone leave 30 sec after you join? I need help finding them >.<

--fatty

14. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

Well I can't be objective all the time. That means I have to think :)

There was more behind the statement than what I wrote. But nothing that I could prove in less than 3 paragraphs and a few equations. I will leave you with a less technical one: 9/10 of a Baal run is useless to have MF. His minions don't drop anything good hardly ever. So basically, you are going on for those 4-5 minutes for one big score at the end. Baal's item drops are severely nerfed after tc75 although he retains a good chance to drop jewelry.

The Pit, on the other hand, can have the most insignificant monster drop a TC87 item. In fact, everytime you run the pit you will most likely see a tc87 item drop (just normal quality, etc). Imagine running baal and always seeing a TC87 item drop every time you run him. It doesn't happen, not even close. Everytime I run the Pit I see at least one of these drop:
    Sacred Armor,Colossus Girdle,Ogre Gauntlets,Myrmidon Boots,Corona,Diadem,Guardian Crown,Dream Spirit,Vortex Shield,Bloodlord Skull,Mythical Sword,Colossus Blade,Legend Spike,Berserker Axe,Glorious Axe,Thunder Maul,Caduceus,Archon Staff,Unearthed Wand,Giant Thresher,War Pike,Hydra Bow,Winged Harpoon,Scissors Suwayyah,Dimensional Shard. <---That is TC87 classes for both armor and weapons.

Pack on enough MF and you will see one of those drop golden or green.

MF = Luck? Yeah, but you choose the game. Craps or Blackjack. There is a difference.

15. melianor

I compromise with the other players. Actually i get alot games with 8 players that dont bother me at all. Usually questing games, never baal runs. Nobody seems to bother much if i dont join the party.
    If they request help i only do it on the basis of helping out with boss-monsters or i give them TP to bosses and wps. That can be done fast. People stay in the game that way and are generaly happy, although you do not play with them.

16. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

One thing you could do to get the best of both worlds. It works best with a freind but you can do it too.

Join a baal run game, tele to the throne, throw up a portal and tell everyone it's up. Go to the Outer Cloister and tp to find the Pit. (Make sure you have high FCR for this). Get to the Pit and TP like a madman spawning all the monsters that you can. Then hit a portal and go back to finish the Baal run. After everyone leaves, go back to the Pit.

My buddy and I would do this. Join 8 player Baal games and I would TP WSK and he would spawn the Pit. Worked great.

17. melianor

What a glorious idea m0nk 8)

18. DoC-Makaveli

DoC-Makaveli IncGamers Member

chaos sanc runs are so pro! i seem to do better there than pits... get about as many unique monsters/champions at 85+ then diablo =D

i never get good drops from minnions of destruction... i saw tal armor drop once and ive done so many baal runs while lvling... i usually dont kill baal in these runes, but from experience ive gotten about the same drops from baal as diablo... so that makes me like chaos sanc cuz i get more from the non-act boss monsters than the ones in throne =)

19. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

Use this to comapre with your baal drops and judge for yourself.
    http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=128599

As has already been mentioned, there are TC87 items dropping on every pit run - it's mouthwatering and increses your chances of getting a unique/set item from there. Don't expect a windfall of uniques, just more chances at seeing elites drop.

20. hiimafilo

hiimafilo IncGamers Member

!!! JUST A QUERRY WHAT DOES UR SORC WEAR - AND WHAT SKILLS

---- please fill me in :p -- must be a very power ful sorc ot kill baal - minions hell mode and pit - 5 mins :p damn my CL/fO sorc does pit (hc ladder) in 4 minutes -------------- fill me in consider thier is a lot of immunes out thier and amped arch;er ohhh my god :p