Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what do you do

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Eff, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Eff

Eff Banned

what do you do

for the common cold?

i just came down with a bad case of it, i've got school after tomorrow, and a lot of soccer ahead. i know it'll take a few weeks to pass, but does anybody here have some personal methods for treating this royal pain in the a**?

2. Necrolestes

Necrolestes Diabloii.Net Member

Palliative treatment

Actually, a cold shouldn't take a couple of weeks to pass, but that's just an aside.

Since colds are almost always caused by viruses, rest and fluids are the best way to flush them out. Vitamin C and zinc can help your immune system recover faster but they don't actually help you cure the cold (they keep the virus at bay and do nothing to kill the virus themselves). Clear fluids are preferable to colored fluids if for no other reason that water is the fluid that does the body the most good when it has a cold (though fruit juices may be the exception to that rule, as they have vitamin C which acts as a scavenger for viral particles; water on its own helps to flush viral junk out of your system while at the same time improving the lymphatic drainage of your body, which further aids the body in ridding itself of the disease). A little bit of bed rest also helps the body to recover from the viral onslaught. For a runny nose, chicken soup or diphenhydramine does wonders (however, chicken soup doesn't make you as sleepy as diphenhydramine).

Drink plenty of fluids, get some extra rest (for example, if you rest around 7 hours a day, try to make it 8 or 9), and don't skimp on the soup!

3. ebyworx

ebyworx Diabloii.Net Member

bah, that will never work. if you want your cold gone asap go and buy 3 habinero peppers. sit down and prepare yourself for intense pain. then fire all three into your mouth and chew them until all the mucus has left your body taking any signs of any viruses with it.

it may not be pretty, but your cold will be gone

4. Johnny6

Johnny6 Diabloii.Net Member

Slather yourself with peanut butter.

5. [exile]

[exile] Diabloii.Net Member

Boil Coca-Cola with ginger and maybe some lemon. Drink while hot.

And I'm not joking.

6. Eff

Eff Banned

[exile], what's that do?

7. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor Diabloii.Net Member

Fluids, sleep, Vicks Vapo-Rub, and Day/Nyquil.

8. Nword

Nword Banned

I have a real urge to try that... and I dont' have a cold... :D

*hmmm* actually boiling it? probably shoudln't use the tea kettle... :confused:

9. [exile]

[exile] Diabloii.Net Member

I have no idea whatsoever. I think it's the ginger and lemon that actually does something and the Coke just gives it flavor. Not sure. It's some kind of crazy Chinese home remedy that my parents taught me. Or maybe not Chinese at all. But cool nonetheless.

Nword - sauce pots work the best :)

10. Rius666

Rius666 Diabloii.Net Member

I've actually tried this before and it is very soothing to be quite honest. Not sure how it will actually combat the virus but at least it makes you feel better. (I'm also chinese coincidence? i think not)

As for making the cold go away quick i usualyl take tylenol night time before i got to bed and then during the day ill take sudogest (a form of sudafed (sp?)) for nasal congestion. Cough medicines such as Robatessin will work if you have extreme coughing. Just be sure to drink plenty of WARM water, get a lot of vitamins/minerals, and at least 8 hours of sleep.

For future reference know what ur usual cold symptoms are so you can stop it before it starts. For me it always goes in the order of throat, nose, head. So whenever i feel a sore throat and the next day start getting nasally and the sore throat is still there i take cold medicines and its usually gone in about 2 days.

11. Peregrine

Peregrine Diabloii.Net Member

Play frisbee. Seriously. I don't have time to be sick, therefore my body has realized that it either gets better very very quickly, or my stubborn mind abuses it anyway. Usually it takes the easy way out and gets rid of the sickness by halftime.

12. Eff

Eff Banned

thanks for all the suggestions.

as to knowing the symptoms, this one was caused by contact with someone else with a cold, who told me it was just allergies :/

and...as to frisbee

FAWK JOOOOO!!!!!
    hehe, just kid. my vision's all blurred and...bah you know the symptoms, the last thing i want to do is go run around and try not to suck any more than i already do at frisbee.

13. Newman

Newman Diabloii.Net Member

Whenever I get sick, I normally do what I normally would do if I wasn't sick. Obviously that's not the best treatment, but it goes away in good time.