Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What do you do for work?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Newman, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

What do you do for work?

Most of us are old enough to have jobs here in the OTF. So what do you do for the daily grind, how do you get your dough?

For me, I sit infront of a computer and browse the OTF, sometimes I help people solve their cell phone problems.

If anyone needs any help with their cell phones or what not, feel free to PM me or post it up. I'd be more than happy to help.

2. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

my grandpa gives me money to shovel horse****

3. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

My grandpa lives on a farm. I went there last summer and helped him get hay into bails of hay. That was fun. Farms are peaceful.

4. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

I'm a college kid who makes his money by delivering mail and cleaning up the cafeteria. However, that's all going to have to change in about a month and a half when I graduate and have to find something else to do with my life.

Anyone want to give me a job? Bachelor's of the Arts with a major in political science. Anyone?

5. DOC

DOC Off Topic Moderator

Worked for Randalls for about 1.5 years and then quit because they were killing me on hours. Went to a Krogers (grocery to a grocery, it sucked) where I stayed and died for about 4 months. Eventully got offered a job at a breakfast diner where I work now, so much better. :)

6. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

My brother worked in a grochery store for about the same time you did. He works where I do now. Although, my Dad is a head manager down at a QFC in Seattle.

7. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Come work where I do! You can give me dope advice and surf the OTF all day!! :clap:

8. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

I am a nuclear chemist in research and development. My job is interesting, in the fact that I get to "play" with material that no one else wants to have around. Radioactive garbage is cool. Not only is the work pretty sweet, but the pay is good as well. The main focus I have to keep in mind is the very nature of the material I handle can kill. As long as I respect that, everything is gravy.

9. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Now, I don't know if your being serious or not. If you are, how long do people usually stay at that job (not if they get fired) but, like how long do they choose to be there?

10. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

I have been here for almost 2 years now. We have had people retire after 39 years of service in the nuclear industry, but not as a chemist. I suppose that I can (and will) remain here until I get to retirement age. Currently, I am 28 years of age, so I have a few years to go.

I really enjoy the work that I do. To me, chemistry makes the world go round. It makes a huge difference getting up in the morning and going to do something intersting, instead of the same routine day after day.

11. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Wow, that's awesome man. I'm guessing you probably wear a suit that protects you from the radiation. Is there anyway that your health is going to be affected by this?

12. skihard

skihard Banned

I sit at a computer working a CAD program designing parts/secondary tooling to build cars with. Latest project was some 2007 Navigator stuff, before that was C6/Z06 Vette stuff, Future project looks like 2007 Sportrac stuff, also did some work on the newset Jeep, and the Hummer H3

13. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

14. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Seriously? Do you work for a specific car company or do you do all car models? That sounds REALLY fun. I used a little CAD in high school, it was fun.

15. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

16. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

17. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

I used to work at Office Depot as the store b**ch. Man i did everything in that store from helping customer to freight to inven etc. Anyways im done with that job now and since I'm going to college i applied for a job here at school over the summer since ill be taking summer classes anyways. Hopefully I'll get the nice job i want with a better pay :)

18. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

19. skihard

skihard Banned

I work for a tier2 / tier 3 supplier (depending on the job) that makes tooling which assembles parts into another part for the car companies.

Example the Vette Targa roof comes in many pieces the 2 largest are the skin and the reinforcement. Those 2 parts have to be assembled, with one the Frame (frame of the C6 being aluminum) having to be assembled to the Skin (a plastic material like plexi glass) you can’t weld and screws would be unsightly so I designed the tool that puts these 2 parts together (the frame of the Z06 is magnesium by the way, lighter than aluminum).

Example 2 both the Skin and Reinforcement of the Navigator hood are a glass filled plastic and you can’t weld those either so again a tool is needed to assemble these parts.

Just so you know a lot of the outer body parts on Cars and Trucks are now plastic with a metal reinforcement and they are glued together.

Anyhow not much is actually made by the big car companies anymore. Pretty much the only thing the big car companies do anymore is the assembly portion.

Anyhow what I like most about my job is that I get to see a lot of the new vehicles before the general public usually on a computer screen but sometimes I get to see the vehicle in “NO CAMERAS ALLOWED†areas like I did with the Jeep Commander, and the Hummer H3. DCX wouldn’t even let me take my phone in because of the Camera feature.

20. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member