Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What do you consider a keeper?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by MaliusArcus, Nov 14, 2006.

1. MaliusArcus

MaliusArcus IncGamers Member

What do you consider a keeper?

In a MF run when you run across a non-unique item (specifically jewels, amulets, and socketable items) what do you pick up.

I pick up all rare rings and amulets, if im having a bad day ill pick up magic ones too hoping for something decent or at least craft items. I pick up all gems and jewels, but I have so many jewels in my atma stash ive started to cut back on what I save. I stick with IAS jewels, rare resist jewels, and maybe really good ED jewels.

Now socketables I tend to pick up almost everything (except single sockets) unless they are eth and not polearms. By everything I mean exceptional and elite, unless I will have a need for it later on (4os flail for hoto, assuming I ever get all the runes together at one time).

Obviously unique items depends on how many you have of said item and its usefulness... I have a solid 6 or 7 bloodfists but they make great items to twink with so I keep picking them up, but im sick of cathans masks... they dont even get identified.

set-wise do you let all low level sets rot, do you pick up select sets, or do you try to complete those sets for twinking?

2. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

I mainly run baal for xp. Speed is thus a factor.

I pick up:
    • All rare amulets
    • All rare rings
    • all rare boots
    • all rare gloves
    • all white/gray feral/runic talons (and Scissors Suwayyah) and greater talons
    • I pick up all uniques, just to check if they are ethereal
    • I hold on to most useful excep/elite set/unique items
    • I pick up runes ral and up
    • I pick up all charms/jewels
    • All flawless gems

It looks like a long list, but the time between waves offers the opportunity to check items. Thankfully, only a few of the above fall on each run.

crg

3. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I pick up most unique items, with the exception of Venom Wards and similar items that are completely useless and I already have many copies of. Same goes for Sets.

I pick up all Rare rings and Amulets, but I only keep the useful ones.

I pick up and stash all jewels. If they are useful in the "jewels" stash, if they are junk in the "crafting junk" stash.

I very rarely pick up magic rings and amulets.

I check all grey items to see if they have a useful amount of sockets.

Usually I try to pick up magic and rare barb helms in hopes of a nice +5 BO helm.

Every charm that drops.

After that I start grabbing rares and magics that can roll with +skills or sell for big money, like druid helms, sorceress orbs/staves, etc.

Also I grab Full juvs, and usually normal juvs for cubing up.... I use lots of juvs.

Oh, and Necro wands, grey or white, as well as most grey or white necro heads, just to look.

I'm sure I forgot something, but that must be most of it. I love finding stuff, thats why I play this game, so I'm happy to spend a lot of time picking stuff up and looking at it.

Just today in fact I found this rare shield from Hell Andy, and I only picked it up because I had extra space and wanted something to sell for money.

Raven Badge
    Rondache
    Defense: 25
    Chance to Block: 55%
    Smite Damage: 2 to 8
    Durability: 20 of 30
    (Paladin Only)
    Required Strength: 26
    Required Level: 58
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 75
    Fingerprint: 0x26b77f35
    +35% Enhanced Defense
    +20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    Damage Reduced by 6
    All Resistances +40
    +2 to Paladin Skill Levels
    30% Faster Block Rate
    Level 3 Terror (9/27 Charges)

needles to say I didn't end up selling it. I'm quite impressed with it, especially the resists.

-hps

4. Katon

Katon IncGamers Member

I pick up...

All rings and amulets, rare or not.

All rare exceptional and elite swords. I pick up some of the better rare norm swords too. I got really lucky with a 164ed bastard sword, and that's when I started with the norm ones. Keep in mind, I'm new (sorta) to single-player and I just got to NM today.

All unique items and set items.

I let magic items rot

All gems standard and up

All jewels, just to see if I ever get luck and find a good one. I never do.

All runes. Unless I have a lot of a specific rune. Then it can just stay there.

Generally, all 2-socketed or greater items of a type that I want. This usually means exceptional and elite swords and armor.

And anything that might sell good.:cool:

5. MaliusArcus

Seems you guys have much more self control than I am... if its a gem or a rune im picking it up... I have at least 20 chipped skulls at the moment. probably 60 el runes lol.

I did notice rejuv potions mentioned... I actually never use them unless its just for a quick heal and I see one laying around, mana potions I can usually get more out of them than a rejuv will give me (ie casting while the bulb is filling). If I have an at risk char (my trap assasin who like to melee some) I keep a row of them though.

@Hp_Sauce - Nice shield. I am not that lucky. Well I am, I get great mods on low level items too.

6. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

When I do Baal I don't pick up any non-unique that doesn't fit into a 4x1 vertical column because that's how much space I have to work with. I probably won't pick up any unique below TC 78 either, and I'll leave all set items on the ground.

All rares get left on the ground except for assassin claws, jewels, and rings. I'll ID those immediately, and if they don't have the stats I'm looking for then I throw them back on the ground.

I'll pick up and ID magic assassin claws if the base item type is exceptional or elite, hoping for that +2 assassin +3 LS claw. Jewels, grand charms, and small charms get picked up and ID'ed, and if they're not what I want I throw them out again (only exceptions are Baal charms which I'll keep for rerolling). Large charms I don't bother with, since they can't be skillers and they give a worse life-per-square return than small charms.

All flawless gems get picked up unless I'm already out of space. Same thing goes for runes Lem and above. I'll always pick up piles of gold if possible to prevent them from cluttering the screen, and if my belt isn't full I'll pick up super healing/mana potions. Socketables I leave behind, unless they could have valuable staff mods (i.e. potential 'Chaos' claws or 'Exile' pally shields).

For Pindle I have more space to work with (the whole 4x3 space of the Horadric cube), so I'll also pick up TC 87 set pieces as well as rare circlets in addition to everything listed above.

7. RibGriller

RibGriller IncGamers Member

Don't totally rule out those ethereal items. For example, I know 4os eth Beserker axes are used by many for the Oath RW (Death 5os, Botd 6os, too), which makes the eth axe Indestructible. And, I'm sure you know that Mercs can use eth stuff without damaging them. Happy hunting... :smiley:

8. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I must say that i'm troubled when I hear that magical ammys are left on the ground ... *shudder*

You could be missing out on some sweet +3 traps plus second mod ammys!

9. Are

Are IncGamers Member

I pick up:

- All unique items and set items until I have 10 of that item (I use an excel spreadsheet to track my uniques/sets, so it's easy to tell if I'm past 10). If an item has variable stats, I will identify, but not necessarily keep, also those past 10 until I have a perfect one.

- All rare and magical amulets, rings, jewels, charms, gloves and boots.

- All runes and flawless/perfect gems.

- All gray items (all socketables are kept, some select ethereal non-socketables are kept).

- The occasional rare item, if I happen to have space in my inventory at the time.

10. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg IncGamers Member

I pick up a lot.

All gold, although rarely the many stacks in the tower cellars level 5 and the worldstone chamber, although I do tend to pick up the former when doing the quest.
    All charms, amulets, rings, and jewels. The blue amulets and rings I always keep for cubing three of them. Since I've got a big stash full of cubefodder, I don't keep the charms and jewels anymore for cubing purposes. After I get arouns to cubing all of it, I might return to keeping all of them. Rares get sold if I don't want to keep them.
    All rares, regardless of type, they're very rare, but sometimes there are those which are godly or would be after upgrading. Some others are great for their low level requirement.
    All set and unique items, even Isenhart's Case and Cathan's Seal, a green ring might of course turn out to be the Angelic Halo.
    All runes and all gems. Eventually I'll cube up that zod.
    All purple potions.
    All grey items, although I tend to throw them right back on the ground quite often if I gather I won't need them.
    All rods and class-specific items, apart from amazon items and normal assassion items. If their mods aren't great for either use or money they get dumped right away.
    Blue items tend to get picked up but not always, I've done a lot of Pindleskin runs lately, and when I don't have the room they get left out. The yellows tend to be worth more, and thus bring me closer to Tyrael's Might, since I gamble for ancient armours (not that I have seen a single sacred armour, regardless of quality, from gambling in over a thousand runs)

11. Tigereye

Tigereye IncGamers Member

I am picking up magic amulets and rings, and found something usefull

Cunning Amulet of Nirvana
    Required Level: 64
    Unidentified
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0xe4b1860a
    +30 to Dexterity
    +3 to Trap Skills (Assassin Only)

Still looking for the Fortuitous ring of Fortune.
    I also pick up all rare Crystal Swords and Dimensional Blades to check for a nice ethereal one I can upgrade to Phase Blade.

12. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Niiiiice. I'm still using a +3 traps, damaged reduced by 2 ammy ... yours would be very nice.

I'm not even sure what can spawn as a second mod alongside the +3 designation ... guess I should reread some of the stickies.

13. MaliusArcus

That is one beautiful ammy.

14. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Following CRG's format.

I pick up:
    • All rare amulets
    • About half of all magic amulets
    • All set amulets (gogo Tal's)
    • All rare rings
    • All rare boots
    • All rare gloves
    • All rare class specifics
    • All magic class specifics
    • All magic monarchs
    • All rare 2-hand weapons
    • All rare crystal sword, dim. blades, phase blades
    • All excep/elite uniques
    • Ral, Amn, Sol, Shael
    • All good runes (higher than the ones listed above)
    • I pick up all charms/jewels
    • All flawless gems
    • Good socketables (paladin shields, elite light armors, etc)

15. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

Count me in the magic jewerly category too. My current pally has a +3 combat skills 86 life amulet. I CAN NOT find a Mara's; I may slow down if I do.

I've got some nice res all/second mod magic rings as well, but now that I have some SoJ/BKWBs, that incentive is going down as well.