Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What do Classic Players want in D3?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by JEstevam, Apr 25, 2008.

1. JEstevam

JEstevam IncGamers Member

What do Classic Players want in D3?

I was reading that mmo vs rpg thread for DIII, and being that I think the truest of true Diablo fans are those who love classic:

I wanted to hear what you'd all expect from DIII, and hopefully that you would not want it being like WoW as a mmorpg.

What I'd like:

Same style as DII with more music and variety in visuals. Start with 7-9 classes. Same BNET setup with rooms that allow like 12 people per room.
    Same 1-99 setup, with 1 lvl 100 allowed as first one to get their. (awesome)

Instead of 30 skills per class, i'd probably go like 40-50, maybe add a 4th skill tree, or have a more bread and butter tree for using skill points to boost stats or "barbarian master like passives." - Also instead of increasing the max level, just have more quests that give skill points and make them very hard (atleast in nm/hell) - Also keep norm/nm/hell setup, with maybe a 4th as something new (not necessarily harder)

I would make D3 more like classic than xpac, maybe even more like classic pre 1.06

Rares should rain king! They are amazing because of the randomness and potential to always find a better.

Uniques should be helpful with a few strong ones, similar to bonesnap, shard, gull, etc - i'd probably want them available only in normal/exceptional versions, so all top end items are rare. (no elites)

I'd want more sets with the partial set bonuses that where later added, and I think classic specific items in the base D3 is a good idea.

Most important thing I think should be economy. Xpac has runes and perfect gems which are useful as a basic set of currency, classic lacks that horribly and makes hoarding very unprofitable. Hoarding needs to be a staple of the lower end of the economy, so a new player can jump in, save some key items, and slowly build their character.

I'd probably keep gems, runes, and charms. I'd definately want a limit on charms (whether by # or inventory space) - I hate carrying around an INV full of charms, i say 1/4 of the INV only. I'd change the inventory from 4x10 to 6x12 (so you could carry a lance and a helm within 2 columns) That math means going from 40 INV spaces to 72, with only 18 spaces available for charms and 54 for items.

Make the stash like 50% bigger than xpac (classic = a joke, miserable)

ADD GUILD HALLS, like they were suppose to in D2. Buy property in the game or something with gold. MAKE GOLD IMPORTANT. (balance gold find, and make it profitable to use it)

Now an important issue of magic finding. Have boss runs and "cow-like runs" profitable but not as profitable as normally playing the game in hard areas. Profitable runs should be like the Chaos Sanctuary, and nothing like baal runs!

I think magic find should be toned down a bit, but still able to give a significant advantage for runs or boss runs. Allow magic find on rare helms/ammys/rings/gloves/boots, and have uniques or runewords with mf for weapon/armor/shield/belt. Probably keep the 4 socket topaz armor but make it like 15 x 4 = 60% or something. I think perfect MF should be no more than 300-500%. I'd scale it down for rares/sets/uniques after 100% but not as drastically as they are now. (example 500%mf = +500% magical, +300% rare, +150% set, +120% unique)

That's just a few ideas, what do you guys think? What else do you really want or DONT want?

2. Razputin

Razputin IncGamers Member

Re: What do Classic Players want in D3?

Great idea!

Don't like charms at all myself, i thin runes would be a good addition, even runewords provided they don't go ott with them, e.g. Botd.

I wouldn't want the 2nd weapon slot from lod, nor the auras on items or the ability to add teleport e.g. engima. These, imo are all overpowered.

I can see where you are coming from with the exceptional uniques only, a large amount of the current uniques are pointless and it would be better just to have super rare but better ones.

I also think crafting is a good idea, although the current lod ones are naff and unbalanced.

3. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

a game of skill, not ebay and time

4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I think any game where you can trade and is popular is likely to be exposed to ebay, be it via items or complete accounts. The designers can't really do anything about that, it really boils down to the choices people make concerning these items.

5. Turtleism

Turtleism IncGamers Member

i belive that each class can only ever use their class specific skills, there shouldnt be rune's, and another skill tree would be useless as it has the potentail to unbalance the characters.

a refinement of synergys would be nice, a reduction in magic dmg and an increase in physical dmg. no starter lower lvl items, just a ur class's basic weapon/staff/whatever and set them on their way.

make the boss's a bit harder with crazyassd skills.

or to make it simple, make it nothing like lod bar larger stash and 2nd weapon slot.

6. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

I think something like "there shouldn't be runes" is unfair. In 1.07 the runewords weren't nearly as overpowered as they are now. As long as they treat runewords just like they do unique items, I don't see there being a problem.

I think you're confusing overall balance problems with just the fact that there are runes, which is inaccurate.

And frankly, I know I won't buy D3 if it ends up just being D2.5, if you get what I mean. From the original Diablo to Diablo II was a huge jump, gameplay-wise, so from 2 to 3 should be even larger a jump.

7. Slik

Slik IncGamers Member

- graphics etc as in d1 for the same kind of atmosphere
    - eliminate the bloody exp+mf runs/rushes/etc... grinding sucks
    - tone down party play (2-3 player parties are big enough)
    - balanced pvp ... after all, it worked in 1.06 and in starcraft
    - introduce better ingame currencies, so people don't have to visit *** for trading

all in all, a revert to patch 1.06 would do the job :)

8. grShaman

grShaman IncGamers Member

I want it to never get released.

9. SHINOBIPANDA

SHINOBIPANDA IncGamers Member

I would like to see bigger stash and inventory sizes first off. i would like to completely take out the mercs and add more pets and mounts like wow. flying would be cool also. to me the game got a little smaller every time i played wow. make gold valuable but not over priced like wow. keep the gold but dont hav silver or copper. make it so that having 10000 is middle class and 100000 is rich. also add better skill quests and maybe a higher diffuculty that only 80's and above can make. so new chars cant get rushed there and lvl really fast. they should make it so u either have to complete all the quests or have a quest log. they should make the places like caves and temples dungeons. i would love to be able to play the bad side for once.i would like to have the player make the game like d2 and d1. it would be cool to have 15 good guys and 15 bad guys on each side on the same game and there can be a place where they fight each other like battlegrounds. raiding hell would be fun too. make the npcs fight back so akara can get revenge on all the players kissing on her. and there can be a mass battle where every1 fights for their side (heaven or hell) like all the npcs players and bosses fight eachother in one giant field. imagine charsi and gheed goin into battle against diablo or whoever the main boss is.

10. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

A Character Screen That Accurately Shows All Damage Modifiers And Correct Damage Done With Nothing Hidden From U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. HegemonKhan

1. be able to see lower difficulty games on mp/realm

2. dont punish players with tempory ban who r just xfering or rush-killing diablo very fast on mp/realm

3. make it possible to get to lvl 99 (more like LOD, more exp or whatever)

4. better pvp or block/protection against pvp for those who dont want to pvp or get pk'ed, maybe have an option like between ladder n non ladder but for whether pvp is allowed or not.

5. have energy stat more useful, like have it increase spell damage as u raise it like with str/dex for weapons AND more into energy increases mana regen rate

6. have dex efect shield's blocking (same as LOD)

7. have ranged weapons use dex for bonus damage (same as LOD)

12. grShaman

grShaman IncGamers Member

I totally disagree.

13. WarlockCC

Not sure which ranged weapons or skills you tried, but for me this seems to be the case.
    My Strafezon has 400 dex for this reason. Otherwise a strafezon's damage is not noticable.

14. HegemonKhan

err.. throwing weapons (javs, axes) .. i ment (LOD fixed them, but in classic they get damage bonus from str which is bad because they got high dex req. on them to wear, wasted stats, in classic)

15. WarlockCC

I don't think I tried with Javalins, but they should get damage for melee(poking and prodding) from str and damage for ranged(throwing and tossing) from dex.
    I'll go try with my throwbarb and see if I get extra damage if I put on dex jewelery.

---===---

Well, I tested it and I get extra damage from added dex with every form of attack, even on bash, double swing and frenzy. In theory it should only have given extra damage to the ranged attacks. Oh well, I don't mind extra damage, you can't really get a lot on a throwbarb anyway.
    I was using a harpoon, though I don't think there's a difference between javalin types other then the damage and the requirements.

16. HegemonKhan

hmm, that's weird, i read some where that for classic: javs, throwing axes, throwing knives get boasted by str for both melee damage and thrown damage. i also thought i tested it (well i just looked at character screen which could have been wrong/lying) and added str did raise damage of both jav's melee damage and its thrown damage. in LOD they corrected it by having .5 str + .5 dex = +1% damage to thrown damage (not sure if melee damage too or if melee is 1 str=1% damage). this LOD change works much better as those points u have to put into dex for the (jav) weapon dex req. now contribute to extra damage. but in classic, i was under impression that even when javs r thrown they use str for their bonus damage (1 str = 1% damage or 100 str = 100% damage) and dex contributes nothing to bonus damage despite having to put into dex anyways for dex req for (jav) weapon and if u wanna increase damage u than have to also waste more points to go into str. and i think the item generation on here has this info...ima go check right now...i'll be back...

ach!, this site doesnt seem to have the item generation system anymore (it showed the stat damage modifier for every type of weapon for classic and LOD)(stat damage modifier= for example: mace weapons get 110% enhanced damage for 100 str where most melee weapons only get 100% damage for 100 str) since everything is getting converted to the wiki i guess it was forgotten or taken down.. well i guess i cant go check about the weapons now.. i used that item generation program-system u had on this site before it got its pretty recent revamping...and the bannners r usually covering most of the buttons...makes it hard to click on stuff on this site now....

at some point i guess i'll have to test it in game again. not sure when i'll do this. but i will at some point just not right now or right away.

just re-read your post and i noticed something that i didnt the first time i read.

maybe javs in classic are boasted by dex no matter whether its mellee or thrown. maybe my str bonus has to do throwing axes/knives.

again: at some point i guess i'll have to test it in game again. not sure when i'll do this. but i will at some point just not right now or right away.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  17. barty

barty IncGamers Member

i agree with fledgeling and hegemonkhan. maybe try to elimenate some of the lag or upgrqade servers or what not. i like the idea of free battle.net but if i have to, i would pay a fee if blizz would regulary monitor hacks/dupes/illegal programs to just keep bnet players on the same lvl, on equal ground know what im saying? i got a smiter for fc zonz[works perfectly lvl 93+ ears :p], a boner for de synch pallies etc but still, i made them to spite the cheaters, not for the right reasons. ALSO GET RID OF DE-SYNCH !! i dont use it but its hella-annoying to many.zZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz.i guess what im saying is i want blizzard to wake the heck up, clean stuff up, and keep it clean. i beleive there are enough CLASSIC players out there old skool like me [sometimes i lvl up with a hellforge for fun zz and hit 20 in arcane runs haha] who want things to be pristine again, like a virgin :). whatever they do i will adapt, but thats only .000001% of my .02.....
    they should hire players to consult for new game.... legit, good track record having classic players, x pac players cant consult imo-they have to many goofed up ideas of bo'ing-teleporting pallies etc..branching off xpac could be disastrous if it sets the standard .....IMHO.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  18. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I really think the addition of Oskills was not a good idea in exp. It really unbalances the characters! Maybe if duping ... but i guess we'll never know.

But when a new guy like me goes joins a ball-run with a lvl 80+ Zmiter, and WALKS to the throne, while the other players say:
    "Hey shouldn't you have enigma?"

This sounds to me like ANYONE can get the Sorceress' teleport skill.

Then there's the Bo'ed tele-hammerdins.... can you get more goldy than that?

In D3 classes should be unique, this would also encourage party play and cooperation!

19. sumzy

sumzy IncGamers Member

- an australian server
    - make gold valuble by making gambling more worthwhile and you still lose it when you die
    - keep rares as the best item dont overpower runewords
    - have like 300 areas which are worthwhile to run by making them more likely to drop certain runes and stuff
    - make all quests worthwhile to do
    - fix the bugs in the join game interface
    - focus updates mostly on updating the anti-hack programs in the server
    - nerf exp for doing repetitive things

20. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

You realize that all of Asia only has servers located in Korea, and you're going on about a server in Australia? I seriously doubt that there are more Australian gamers than Asian ones (consider China).

I'm in Beijing and I get 600+ ping connecting to the Asia realm.