Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What did Jesus look like?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir EvilFreeSmeg, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

What did Jesus look like?

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/12/25/face.jesus/index.html

In the thread about the fascist principal demanding students cut their hair, the length of Jesus's hair was brought up. Popular Mechanics asked the same question in 2002 and came up with what is in the provided link. Do you agree with their findings?

I do.

2. Star Dust

Star Dust IncGamers Member

Hmmm... Methinks they should work on existence and save hair length for another time.

Paul never saw Jesus. Neither did anyone who wrote anything about him.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Kind of looks like Osama.

There's no way of knowing, that's just guesswork. I was amused to see them taking Paul's passage about long hair as evidence though. Guess that means Samson and the prophet Elijah were sinners.

The modern depiction of Jesus is an artistic tradition that started hundreds of years after his death. In fact earlier depictions generally portray him in the traditional style of Greek heroes - blond and buff, like Hercules or something.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I don't really care to be honest. I also find the hair on him laughable, they lived a long time ago. . .but that doesn't mean they had chronic bed head.

5. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Man, I guess there's just no place in heaven for me. Everything about me is apparantly evil, sinful, disgraceful, etcetera - even my hair. :undecided:

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

7. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

according to dogma jesus was black

8. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Thanks...

Actually I think that article and the whole experiment was a big waste of time. They admit that the face they came up with is completely arbitrary apart from the geographic location and time period. At best it's a representation of what a typical Jewish man might have looked like from around 2000 years ago. There isn't any reason to put any faith at all in that image.

9. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

At least you're right about the first proposition...but debating the second would probably get us nowhere, so I'll leave it alone.

The obvious answer is that no one knows what Jesus looked like.

I don't have time - big paper due tomorrow - to refute the article's claims about what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians about a man having long hair.

Suffice it to say, they've not taken into account to whom Paul was speaking. He was speaking to Gentile Christians in Corinth, where men who had long hair were associated with temple prostitution and the occult. Hence, his argument against men with long hair (and women with short hair, for that matter).

All the Gospel records (and even Josephus, iirc) record that Jesus was from Nazareth and probably took a Nazarite vow. Think Sampson, and you'll have an idea of what I mean. Hence, he probably would have had long hair.

The important thing - imo - is that Jesus was not a white, middle-class American. He was from a semitic culture of the Middle East, and he probably resembled contemporary Middle-Easterners more than anyone else alive on the planet right now.

10. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

You nailed it right between the eyes.

It's pretty funny how the article claims to have the most accurate image of Jesus, and then goes on to say that they're not certain of its accuracy.

11. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Somebody once told me Jesus had blue eyes. After contemplating this statement for a while, I had a revelation! :idea:

It suddenly dawned on me that she must have mixed up Jesus Christ with Jeffery Hunter.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

13. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

I don't think a single Christian or secular schoolar would give that statement even the smallest bit of credit. Regardless of your beliefs or thoughts on what Christ did or who he was, it is hard to question his existance. There is no doubt the man lived. What he was is up to individual people to debate with themselves.

BTW I'm a Buddhist so have no agenda in this matter.

14. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

To be honest, the idea was raised by far earlier in Malcolm X and therein much more convincingly argued. It, too, however, faces the problem of the apostles not actually seeing him in flesh (Paul has claimed to see an apparition of Him, though; maybe J just wanted to tidy up his ghost?)

15. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

It was hardly Spike Lee's idea. It is a much older thought. It has been floated before our time.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

People used to tell me I looked like Jesus back when I had long hair and a goatee (Jesus of course had a beard rather than a goatee, they said it not me). I can't believe I walked around like that, that's embarrassing now. Sometimes I even wore sandals...

I don't know about that. Personally I'm convinced that someone who may or may not have been named "Jesus" (or Joshua, or some other variant) very likely lived two thousand odd years ago and may or may not have resembled the Biblical figure in some ways. But we have no direct accounts of the man or other conclusive evidence of his existence, all we know is that a sect who believed in him came into existence.

The idea that he didn't exist - or perhaps more convincingly, did exist but was so remote from the "Jesus" we think of that it hardly matters - isn't without substance.

How would you know if a ghost was black?

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Josephus wrote about him, several roman officials wrote about what to do about him and a handful of Jewish leaders did as well. I would say there is pretty good evidence that Jesus did in fact exist and that he was quite the trouble maker in the eyes of those in power.

18. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

zomg jesus is a terrorist!!!11

seriously though, i'd think it would be pretty obvious that if a person was born in israel 2000 years ago they'd look israeli. i'd take it as much more accurate than the other "standard" pictures. look at the wiki. now why the hell would some swedish-looking dude be born in the middle east 2000 years ago?

19. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Prolly not. But ffjerxx brought up the movies. AFAIK, the thought has not been toted around in mainstream movies before Lee's contribution. Or am I wrong?

Uh, the latter sentence was meant to be a humorous remark in regards to the original post - that maybe J had flowing locks while he lived, and when he came back, he thought he might as well cut some hair off.

Guess I should lern2type.

20. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

I've never understood Jesus is always depicted as a gigantic pansy. I don't believe I have ever met a carpenter with those "delicate" features. Besides, wouldn't you want the focus of your religion to look like a badass?