Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Hybrid, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Hybrid

Hybrid IncGamers Member

What did I do wrong?

I've been having a blast with my lil' summoner, and last weekend I finally got the last of my three key sets together and made my first visit to the Matron's Den (with any character). As this necro has been able to power his way through anything in the game, and I'd heard that the mini ubers weren't all that tough, I didn't really prepare quite as well as I should have. Needless to say, the results were horrid...Lillith torn my army apart. I've now found another set of keys to replace the one I burned up in my first attempt (at least I only used up three keys initially), but before I try it again I'd like to get some advice on what went wrong.

My necro is pretty standard. He has some fairly decent gear, but he doesn't have any "end-game" runeword gear:

Arm Of King Leoric Tomb Wand
    Homunculus Hierophant Trophy
    Up'd Vipermagi Wyrmhide
    Crown Of The Ages Corona
    Frostburn Gauntlets
    Marrowwalk Boneweave Boots
    Nightsmoke Belt
    +2 Summoning Skills/Resists Rare Amulet
    2 x Manald Heal Rings
    8 @ Summoning Skiller GCs
    A few lifer/resist/mf SCs

All items that can be socketed are socketed with jewels to round out resists and to give +mana after each kill.

(Don't laugh too hard at some of the items I use...one fault in building him up was lack of a large mana pool and I had to use the 40% from the Frostburn's to increase it a bit and then utilize a lot of mana regen gear to keep him going).

His current character level is 90.
    He's built with base dex, a little too much strength, around 70 energy, and a lot of vitality (around 890 life unbuffed).
    His resists are maxed at 75 each.
    Skills are standard fare...
    41 Skeleton Mastery
    39 Raise Skeleton (15 skellies total)
    38 Raise Skeletal Mage (14 skellies total)
    17 Revive (17 revives total)
    20 Summon Resist
    17 Clay Golem (Base with +skills gear)
    20 Corpse Explosion
    7-9 In each curse (Base with +skills gear)
    7 Bone Armor (Base with +skills gear)
    Misc. Pre-requisites

Merc is an act 2 nightmare might merc and normally uses:
    Bonehew Ogre Axe (2 amn)
    Corpsemourn Ornate Plate (+enh dmg jewel)
    Crown Of Thieves Grand Crown (+enh dmg jewel)

I will, however, swap out his helm to a Guillame's Face Winged Helm (perf topaz socketed) for bosses to get the 35% crushing blow, which I did swap in preparation for Lillith.

I also use two computers, parking a second account in each game I play in order to increase the xp and to help in muling or mid-game transferring.

Anyway, I thought it best to continue to make the mini-uber game two player with my parker making the portals. That way, if my summoner got beat up too badly he could always exit and re-enter, grab his corpse, and I wouldn't lose the portal progression in the process. Unfortunately, this also makes each boss a bit tougher as well. Still, I thought it best because I could also bring in another mule on the same account as my summoner to refill his juvies supply if he had to use a lot of them in the process (I only have one character on my parker account that can enter hell level games...the one making the portal).

I first gathered my army of skellies and mages, figuring it wasn't necessary to get revives yet as I thought it would be a fairly large dungeon and I could pick up revives as I cleared it. My parker opened the portal and I jumped in.

It wasn't long before I ran into Lillith, and I hadn't picked up too many revives yet. She also had another boss mob close to her (not quite sure what aura/enchants that boss had) which complicated matters. With the element of surprise on her side, my army got cut in half and my merc went down before I really knew what happened (I wasn't able to cast decripify and gumby her down quick enough). So I ran back to the portal and regrouped.

The second time, I brought along some revives, but as I'd heard the mini-ubers weren't too tough I hadn't made sure to create a game with urdars in them. Lillith ate this army up pretty quickly as well. Run to the portal, rinse, and repeat.

The third time went much better and I was able to get her to about 1/3 health before my merc went down. Without his might aura, and with my skellie/mage army cut down by her poison, the remaining bits of my army couldn't keep up with her regeneration rate (I must've lost all my poison mages as well, I guess). I ported out again, tried to regroup, and BNET promptly went down..."lost connection" screen appeared, and I simply started laughing. Even though the game had been "permed", when I tried to re-enter it BNET told me it didn't exist.

Each time, Lillith was pretty much in the open and not blocking a doorway, so that couldn't have been the problem.

I think what surprised me the most was that during all three attempts my skellies seemed to die off very quickly. Usually, they are rock solid and require very little maintenance, but for some reason Lillith tore them apart.

Anyway, sorry for the overly long post, but now to the question...what did I do wrong here? Is it:

1) A two player game makes the mini-ubers too tough to solo, try it in a one player game and it should go a little better, even though I won't have the flexibility to exit and re-enter with the portal sequence still intact.
    2) My gear is still sub-par for the mini-ubers.
    2a) Some source of teleport is required in order to park the whole army on top of the boss (I did notice that my army was pretty scattered, with some of those bums wandering around and not attacking).
    2B) I need more crushing blow gear in order to take on the mini-ubers...35% on the merc alone isn't enough.
    3) My gear is sufficient, but the crushing blow from urdar revives is required. I just need to make sure to create a game with plenty of them in it to revive.
    4) That second boss must've had some nasty auras or enchants. I should have trouble with Lillith if she's by herself next time.
    5) Everyone has problems their first run with the mini-ubers, keep practicing and it will be okay.
    6) Stop playing on "easy mode" with my summoner and learn how to play him properly. (I have to admit, this lil' toon does make me tend to get lazy thinking that all I have to do is raise my army and then walk around and pick up the drops).

What do you folks think? I'd really like some advice before I burn up another set of keys.

Off to bed...I'll check this thread tomorrow to see if any was able to read through all my dribble and offer a suggestion or two!!

2. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Lilith is the hardest of all 3 . now your merc could do with andys visage. its the best helm for em anywayz to help against the poison.

Enigma is certainly a requirement for the uburs id say. and make sure you do have at least 4-5 udars for the cb. The merc should use somethin like hone sundan its awesome.

3. xNamastex

xNamastex IncGamers Member

You will certainly need a source of teleport, to both position army and for quick escape if Lilith surprises you and she is with a lot of other monsters. If Lilith is with other bosses try to lure her out with teleport and possible terror curse on the others. Try to get all of army in same room and position them on or near her. The decrep and Gumby strategy will be crucial to limit the poison exposure to the army.

Merc with Infinity (40% CB, Conviction to help poison mages/poison Nova from Andy's helm and lower her defense), Bramble (To Thorn her big melee attack and add to Poison Nova damage from Andy's CTC) and Andariels (max PR and CTC poison NOVA) will also help.

Just some thoughts.

4. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

obedience is a good weapon for doin her with and its pretty cheap to make.

5. Hybrid

Hybrid IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice folks. It looks like I need to continue with some more equipment upgrades if I want to take her on again.

Good to know that Lillith is the hardest of the three...I was wondering if they were all going to be so rough to take on.

I'll see if I can get some trading done to upgrade my equipment to some of the standard setups I've read about and you've mentioned here.

Thanks again for the help!

6. Hybrid

Hybrid IncGamers Member

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO !!!

Second time's a charm, I guess.

The only thing I changed from my gear setup posted originally was to acquire a very high defense "Duress" armor for the merc. This made him much more stable with the increased defense, increased his poison resistance from 54 to 69, and gave him an additional 15% crushing blow to bring him up to 50% total CB. Leveling my lil' summoner and the merc to 91 put his poison resistance at 70, and I tried again.

I made sure to make a game with urdars in it, but never used them at all. I figured that I'd find each mini-uber's location in their respective areas first, and then bring in the urdars if it looked like I couldn't handle them with my regular army. Almost had to resort to using them with Izual, but I never had to revisit act IV to revive any urdars.

Lillith was towards the back of the dungeon this time, and I was able to decrepify/gumby her down quickly as well as have a full set of revives from the dungeon itself to help out. She went down with ease. In fact, I don't think the merc ever got poisoned at all and I only lost a few skellies/mages in the process.

Izual posed a little bit of a problem, but I think it was because I was in a bad position with him in a corner and some oblivion knights casting across a span. The rest of my army had my merc blocked off from him, and without the help of his crushing blow it took forever. Meanwhile, Izual's AOE damage and the spells the oblivion knights were casting took out my merc, so without his might aura things went really slow. However, he had been able to get a few hits in, so I stuck with it. I got down to just 10 mages with gumby tanking him in the end, but was able to take him out.

Duriel had me worried, but he seemed to be the easiest of all. The only problem I had is that he spawned on the spot where the waypoint usually is in normal act II and it took a while to get the merc to climb up there and do his thing.

Anyway, all three went down and I now have my organ set to try the finale...although I think I'll put that off while I do some more practicing and researching on it. I'm still wondering if teleport is an absolute requirement for them, as it seems everyone uses it. However, I was able to take out the mini-ubers without the use of teleport (at least once).

Ah well...had to post to follow up on my "what did I do wrong" thread and let you folks know that it worked out on the second try!! Also, I'd like your opinions on the possibility of handling uber tristram without teleport as well as some strategy hints if you think it may be possible.

7. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

well it isnt a 'must' but it is so mutch more than helpful.. you can force yuor minions to fight only the uber it self. leaving time for you to cast decrify/terror upon those nasty spawning minions (mainly @ real ubers)

also urdrars ARE NEEDED vs real ubers.. remeber that! (well merc can do something but not all of it.. and that requiers some really nice gear)

mini ubers arent that tough. wait til l you see uber meph with hes conviction. or diablo with hes insane fire dmg..

i think you should search for foosofts summoner vs ubers video and watch it (also read the posts!) :wave:

im not trying to frighten you.. im jsut trying to give you the heads up for whats comeing at your way. hope you have great time & succes with your summoner :thumbsup: