Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What determines Item Level? (ilvl)

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by barbfan-2003, Feb 10, 2004.

1. barbfan-2003

barbfan-2003 IncGamers Member

What determines Item Level? (ilvl)

Also, what is the lowest possible item level for HELL CHARMS specifically. I had a guy trade me a bunch of charms that he says were all found in Hell games (I'm cubing the smalls), but the highest ilvl of any of them is 28. I tried to tell him there was no way they were from Hell games (and he's a big liar), but he insists they did come from hell games and that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

If somebody could provide me with a link that would back me up I'd really appreciate it. I couldn't really find anything here that explains it specifically.

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

The lowest possible ilvl from Hell is 67 (Blood Moor, regular monsters + chests). The ilvl is determined by the level of the monster, which in turn is determined by the area level (search these or other forums for area level info, it should be around somewhere).

Since the ilvl is never displayed on items (unless you're using MH, apparently) you may be confusing the ilvl with the Required Level.

ilvl determines the possible mods on the item - the Required Level is determined by the mods that are generated. So you can have a high ilvl but a low Required Level, but not the other way around (except in certain special instances).

3. barbfan-2003

barbfan-2003 IncGamers Member

Well, actually I don't normally use MH. I prefer to play legit so I don't use it period. But I traded for these charms & the guy swore they were from Hell games. I wanted them for re-rolling (cubing). I went through a whole frikkin mule of perfs on one of them, and was getting such totally crap mods I got suspicious. So, just so I could see for sure, I reg'd mh and found that the charms he traded me were all in the range of ilvl 1 to 28. Now he's still trying to tell me those charms came from hell games and that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

4. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

He's lying. They were all rounded up in Normal by the sounds of it. I'd recommend against trading for such things: there are enough scammers out there, without setting yourself up by making trades where you need to cheat even to verify that the merch is what you paid for..

5. Quest For Glory

Quest For Glory Banned

You would want to reroll on Baal/Nihlathak charms. They are ilvl 95 and can spawn any magical mod, and if I'm not totally mistaken, the only grand charms capable of spawning with 41+ life on it, are Baal/Nihlathak charms. Also, I believe the higher numbers of lightning damage can only be spawned on those. (1-99 is the highest number on small charms)

6. breez

breez IncGamers Member

Nihlathak/Baal charms can't spawn +50 life in GC (ilvl=110) ^^

7. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Max iLvl in the game is 99, making that mod impossible.

If iLvl>99
    then
    iLvl=99

Also, it is aLvl that determines the affixes that can spawn on a particular item, that is the level req seen in the mpqs. iLvl is used in the calculation to determine aLvl, which is then used as the lvl req. The highest aLvl in the game is 99. But you knew that....

8. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

Does Harrogath (act 5 town) in Hell have iLvl for the amulets and gloves and other items that I buy/gamble off Anya? I want to use these items for crafting, cause I don't want to go around using time to pick them up off dead monsters.

9. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

DiabloClone (mlvl = 110) in NM drops Annihilus 20% of the time and drops like NM Diablo 80% of the time so it is possible to find a charm with ilvl 110.

--T

10. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

ilvl of bought/gambled items depends solely on your character level, not where you buy or gamble it.

Shopped: ilvl = clvl+5

Gambled: ilvl = clvl-5 to clvl+4 (random)

The only exception is in Normal difficulty, where the shopped items have a cap on ilvl which varies by Act:

Act 1 : 12
    Act 2 : 20
    Act 3 : 28
    Act 4 : 36
    Act 5 : 45

If you want to see where to buy items for crafting, try my shopping calculator: http://members.iinet.com.au/~dcarson/shopcalc2.html

11. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

The item level set to equal the monster's level is caped at 99, so even if the monster would be of level one million, it would be set to no more than 99.

12. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Hey, deja vu :)

I have no idea whether ilvl is capped at 99 (I guess we need a DClone mod in Single Player and ATMA to check it out) but alvl certainly is capped at 99, and so even if an ilvl 110 GC is possible, it will only have alvl 99 and you still won't get that ^%#@ Vita suffix :)

13. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

Last time I checked (ATMA 4.07) the ATMA program did not correctly show the 100+ ilvl items (listing itself was capped at 99). This even applied to items that could be shown to be of higher ilvl by other methods of manipulating the ilvl.

The alvl cap should still be getting applied from what I last saw though.

Jarulf:
    Peter Hu had taken one or two of those cap checks out of the code for the 1.10 release. Testing in single player shows that the ilvl cap of 99 for the random item drops (monster or 'chest' type) is not capped by anything other than the save bits for level in the ItemStatCost.txt file (CSvBits=7; 0 to 127 range in the standard game).

And it may not even be capped at that during the generation process as I have been able to force some item modifiers beyond the limits the ItemStatCost.txt values if the item is only kept in the players state space (equipment slots, backpack, stash, cube). The limits were enforced when the item was transfered out of that state space or when the character was saved.

edit: On a though I went back and repeated one of the tests. In the game the item is created in, the ilvl can be above 99 and retain that status. But when the character is saved the ilvl of the items gets a cap of 99 placed on them for any future use. This explains why ATMA will only end up listing the ilvl as 99, since it only works on the saved character file.

Hakai_no_Tenshi:
    For realm games the diablo clone is only set to spawn in the Hell difficulty; no normal or nightmare difficulty spawning for him. As to what the modders are doing to place him in specific spots or areas of the game is up to whoever mods the game for that off realms. They could be changing his level and what he drops.

Also the cap in the affix generation process is still in place limiting the selection to the affixes that have a level<=99 from the three affix files.

14. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

Good, that explains quite a bit. I could not find anywhere in the code where ATMA would have arbitrarily placed a cap on the ilvl so it had to be external.

--T