Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What date DIII is out?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Tloopz, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Tloopz

Tloopz IncGamers Member

What date DIII is out?

I just saw they have refresh thier page on diabloii.net

And saw Diablo III under forums,

What date it will come out?

So I dont miss it :wink3:

friendly regards.

2. Rocksin

Rocksin IncGamers Member

Re: What date DIII is out?

It's never comming dude...

Bill Roper and others, the people behind Diablo I and II, left blizzard a long time ago.

Give it up. The game is just not comming.

Making and releasing a DIII game would be a financial suicide.

3. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

Don't listen to this guy. They dont need some big old cakes who worked on D2 to make DIII. Look what happened to Helgate London.

DIII will come out, just we dont know when. Diabloii.net opened this forum thread for rumours and discussions.

4. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Well, considering we haven't had official word from Blizz yet, I think a release date is a little premature. :p

5. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

It's coming out March 26, 2010.

6. skyjuice

skyjuice IncGamers Member

:grin:

C'mon only 2010? More like 2012 :evil:

7. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Tomorrow .

8. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

Nope, my dad works at Blizzard with my uncle, and they told me the exact release date they have in mind. In fact, I get to go in sometimes and test around with some of the features they decided not to put in D2 but are probably gonna stick into D3.

9. Ruff

Ruff IncGamers Member

Tomorrow..

10. prion

prion IncGamers Member

if it's announced this june, maybe november 09
    the moral of the story, don't get excited

11. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Member

Umm... the supposed genius's who left to do other things.... the biggest projects they've worked on are as follows:

1.) Guild Wars - a moderate success, by no means anywhere near Blizzard's proven track record with game after game.

2.) Hellgate - A flop

Yet Blizzard keeps on setting records and pushing the game industry to new heights. With THIRTEEN MILLION subscribers to World of Warcraft, they bring in $195,000,000 a month in subscriber fees alone. That's one hundred and ninety five million dollars.

The development costs for a Diablo 3 would be something between 20 and 50 million dollars realistically. That's a drop in the bucket for Blizzard now. If anything, having such a great cash flow allows them to be innovative and take risks like they always have.

Blizzard higher ups have said on record that they WILL be revisiting the Diablo Franchise, it's just a matter of time. We also know there's some sort of announcement coming. Blizzard has three IP's

1.) Warcraft - Currently Wrath of the Lich king is announced. Nothing else is likely to be announced in the Warcraft IP until after WotLK comes out.

2.) Starcraft - StarCraft 2 is announced and nearing beta from what I understand... so they're definately not likely to be working secretly on another StarCraft game, and even if they were, they aren't likely to announce it until after the release of SC2

3.) Diablo - Nothing currently announced. It's basically an open secret that they're working on something in this IP ... it just hasn't been announced yet.

So whatever is coming it's either the Diablo thing that we know they're working on, or some new IP they're going to launch. My bet would be on Diablo ... why venture off into a new IP when you have one patiently waiting to be used again? Or why do something new without ALSO tapping into your established IP that you are guaranteed millions of sales of?

Making a D3 would be financial suicide? The development cost would be somewhere in the Fifty million dollar range I'd think, possibly double that. Let's assume a $100 million price tag.

At $50 a copy, they only need to sell two million copies to break even. If you think Diablo 3 would sell less than two million copies... I don't know what to say to you... other than to ask what rock you lived under for the last few years since Diablo 1 came out :)

12. Friends Call Me Butch

Friends Call Me Butch IncGamers Member

The main three guys to found arena.net were never Blizzard North employees - they were in Irvine. I don't think anyone from the Blizzard North team that made Diablo II ended up with a credit on any "Guild Wars" release.

Roper was also not at Blizzard North during the making of any of the three "Diablo" releases. Only about 1/5 of the Blizzard North folks with a credit on Diablo II went to Flagship, and only 4 of the original founders had a credit on the original "Diablo".

None of the following Blizzard North guys with credits on Diablo II ended up at Flagship:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/diablo-ii

- The Designer and Additional Game Designer
    - Lead Programmer
    - 12/14 Programmers
    - 12/13 Characteristic Artists
    - All of the music and sound guys
    - All of the Level Designers
    - The Technical Producer

Basically, the logic of saying that "Hellgate was a flop, so obviously everything we liked about Diablo was based on Blizzard in Irvine" is a little like saying "That Wings album sucked, so obviously the Beatles were a fluke who owed everything to George Martin." Similarly, claiming that arena.net has anything to do with what was Blizzard North is like claiming that a weak Rolling Stones album shows that the Beatles were an accident.

Plenty of people would like to claim to be the "makers of Diablo II", but in the case of both Flagship and the current crew at Irvine - which doesn't have a single Blizzard North person who worked on the original "Diablo" and only a few from "Diablo II" - it isn't even close to the truth.

-

13. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Very much agree with Drixx and Butch. For the person who thinks D3 is a joke or ruined, go read the new d3 wiki and apply some logic...

14. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

If to believe rumours they stopped already one time work on DIII and started again completely from scratch after Blizzard North broke up. So it does not really matter if there are still old Diablo team as new DIII team probably will use new programming/developing techniques. What is gone is gone.

Hellgate London is really beautiful game and very enjoyable to play at the beginning. But this game misses addictiveness, even more, it becomes quickly boring. Maybe it is even better for some people. You just finish all your quests and put the game in shelf for year.

15. Friends Call Me Butch

True, if you don't associate Diablo with the personality of the monsters, the implementation of the skills, the random levels, the distinctive designs of the characters, the music, or the sound design, or the background and UI art, the dark, occasionally gory moment, then you won't miss those guys at all.

If, on the other hand, you associate Diablo more with this:

http://www.bigcheesepress.com/keller/diablo.jpg

than this:

http://www.gamemaker.nu/upload/image/350x400_panda1.jpg

and actually liked some elements of the characters, monsters, items, dialogue, pacing, music, sound design, UI, AI, randomness and level design of the original, you might miss the touch of the people who made all of those things in an attempt at a sequel.

16. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

December 21st 2012 (Any Mayans among us will realise the irony of this date :tongue:) Hehe I made a funny :smile:

17. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Member

All I was saying is that to date, the main stuff to be published by former Blizzard employees were those two games. I think Blizzard has shown a great ability to maintain great quality despite turnover of employees in higher up places.

18. Rocksin

Rocksin IncGamers Member

WhiteAlien, #3 post: "DIII will come, just we dont know when."
    How is this possible?
    You say it with such certanty, yet you are unsure. You say the game will come, but you don't know when.
    - I know that horses will have wings and be able to fly one day, I just dont know when.
    Stop being so naive. Please. It's pitiful. Go play some D2 instead.
    SmittySixTen, #4 post: "Well, considering we haven't had official word from Blizz yet, I think a release date is a little premature. "
    I noticed these ruomers in 2005. It's been over three years now. Don't count on a release date.
    Posts 5-10 remind me of those "I teach dupe" servers on D2 battlenet. Nonsense!
    Post #12
    I would love to see where you get your information from. You have no sources, and you are just making up numbers. Worthless!

19. Friends Call Me Butch

Did you have any 'numbers' in particular in mind?

Though I don't believe that the Flagship sites currently shows the team members - they changed that a month or so ago, I believe - it is (or was) fairly easy to crosscheck those names against the names credited at the mobygames Diablo II credit list.

20. Rocksin

Rocksin IncGamers Member

We are wasting our time here on this subject.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008