Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What curses should I use?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by JohnYKR, Feb 3, 2004.

1. JohnYKR

JohnYKR IncGamers Member

What curses should I use?

Im making an overlord and i was wondering what curses i should use. My basic build is going to be
    20 skels
    20 skel mast
    1-20 skel mage
    1-20 revive
    1-20 clay golem
    1 golem mast
    1 summon res

the reason i have so many 1-20s is because i dont know how useful the skills are. So help with those would be apreciated. I also plan on putting zero points into psn and bone skills. Im doing that because i want to be a pure overlord. so I would like to know what curses work out the best and how many pnts should go into the skills i am uncertain on.

2. SPIDERfrank

SPIDERfrank IncGamers Member

I'd say at least throw one into bone armor and wall and let the + skills help raise it a few levels. Ask the people around here, you never know when it can save your butt.

I'd recommend using Amp Damage or Decrepify, depending on where you are and who you are with.

No more than 1 point into mages, and only a few into revives. Golems are all preference.

3. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

Poison & Bone skills:

CE (corpse explosion) is recommended, but if you just want to be an Overlord, it's ok to leave Poison/Bone tree undeveloped.

Mage:

I never used them. It's been a LOOOONG debate about whether to max Mages or CE since the beginning of the Sanctuary. IT'S ALL UP TO YOU. I heard maxed mages can do amazing damage. I believe it, but personally I never tried.

Curses:

Amplify damage helps skeleton warriors. Lower resist theoretically helps mages, but I doubt it would be effective. Definitely put one point into Dim Vision, I guarantee you'll need it in Hell. Attract should be developed, too. Attract stacks with other curses and is useful in some tough situations. A lot of overlords stick to decrepify, I agree with them. But because decrepify always has 4 yards radius, I'm not very much into it. In short, use decrepify or amplify damage as the primary curses depending on your taste. Switch to dim vision if you're facing a lot of rage-attack monsters. Use attract if the battle is especially tough. Use Lower Resist if you're partying with sorcs, assassins and other elemental damage players.

I recommend putting 1 point into every curse first, and good gear can you about +10 to curses. You should not put extra points into curse till lvl 80. At that time, you should figure out which curses you like the best.

4. prion

prion IncGamers Member

You may not need more than a few points in Revive, in fact 1 may be enough. With your +skills you can easily build up a sizeable army. Revives have a timer so it may be difficult to keep up a large army. Thus too many skill points in revive could be considered a waste.

5. zaphette

zaphette IncGamers Member

Here is my advice (you are sure to get lots)

RS - 20
    SM - 20
    RM - 20 or 1
    SR - 1
    Revive - 1 no more than 5
    CG - 1
    GM - 1
    All curses - 1
    Bone Armour - 1

*CE - 1+ (maybe max)

Ok, those are all hard points. You should have no trouble getting +5 to 10 to all skills.

Clay golem. Don't bother with any of the other golems, they have less life, and none of them do enough damage to be worth it anyway. Clay gives you the slowing effect, that makes him the clear winner. I put 5 points in GM. This makes him stonger and I rarely have to recast him. Don't know how necessary it was though.

Mages are much debated. I have 10 in RM. Given that I've already put 10 in I will max them. Personally I like them, many people around here don't. They do decent damage and don't have to be right on the front lines. The problem is that they can get in the way of your fighters. Mages find a firing point and stand still. If they happen to be blocking a doorway, they keep your fighters from getting in the fray. Mages don't take a beating very well, and you can loose your whole contingent. This can be very frustrating. Teleport is helpful here if you have an item with charges, or even TPing to town and back usually allows them to sort themselves out.

Revives are also a somewhat debated. I put 1 point in. I have +7 skills, ending up with 8 revives. I have trouble keeping that many around. It might just be me, but they seem to get lost alot, and they're never where I want them. I like to use the council and blood lords to help with meph, things like that.

*I see from your post you don't want any P&B skills. CE is pretty important to speed things up. I'm sure you can make it without, but it may be slow especially in hell. I didn't put any points in it until NM and then went ahead with just one. I have since raised it to 10. It makes pit runs and the like a lot quicker.

Bone armour is nice for when the occasional monster slips through the cracks. I've read here that 1 point in armour is enough. Any additional points should go into bone wall as the synergy adds more than the skill itself.

Curses: they all get one point. What you do from there depends on you. You will most likely use Amp and Decrep. The rule of thumb is, Amp when you're minions are winning, decrep when they're getting kicked around.

In addition to this you will most likely find yourself using one of the AI skills (dim vision, confuse, attract).

I use attract all the time. When monsters are beating each other up, they aren't beating you up. Attract has the additional benefit of not being overridden by another curse. When I come to a large group I Amp all of them and attract 3 or 4. This keeps the heat off my guys, and the monsters even do some damage to each other (waiting for them to kill each other would be frustrating though).

Many people prefer Dim though. Dim needs a few points to be really effective, but at 10+ you can dim the whole screen with a couple clicks. Ranged monsters stop shooting you, resurrectors (sp?) stop raising, and teleporters (demon imps ARRRG!) stop teleporting. These are a very good things.

There is a really great guide out on a Confusemancer. He obviously specializes in confuse. The nice thing about confuse is that it works on a group of monsters with one click, whereas attract is only one monster. The disadvantage is that any other curse you throw out overrides it. This makes attract superior in my opinion (but I'm sure the guy that wrote the confusemancer guide would take issue with me on that).

I use dim when ranged monsters are pelting me and attract on large packs. Once the first corpse is on the ground it's all about CE for me.

I would agree that there is no need for spear or spirit. Without going heavily into the bone tree they don't do much anyway. I have a point in spear, spirit, prison, and wall. I origonally thought I would use the prisons and walls for crowd control. I totally didn't need them and never use them. They are really useful for the straight P&B guys, but summoners already have all the crowd control they need. I use my lvl 8 (after +skills) spirit to throw at monsters occasionally, but it doesn't do enough damage to matter (they usually look at me with distain :) ). Poison is the same way, all the way or not at all.

Wow, I got a bit carried away. Guess that's it for now. Have fun! I personally found this to be my favorite character (and I've played a lot of them).

6. mc_garb

mc_garb IncGamers Member

7. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

First of all, since you are making an Overlord, you max SM,RS, and SM. Then, put 1 point into all middle and right sides curses, and 1 into DV. Golem can be a gumby (clay), IG, or FG (your choice)

As for Revives, the rule of thumb is to put only 1 point into it, and let +skills give you the rest. Others like to put 5 or more into it (though it will take alot of mana to do so)

Merc choices are usually, prayer,might. or thorns...though I have seen some with a defense.

HoS

As

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Personally I found a use for all the curses. Except Weaken. That is not a curse but a bug which requires one point as a prereq.

9. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

10. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Just as MM said, all curses have use except for weaken, which has none past lvl 24 (it dies and the superior decrepify flows out of it's body), and not much use before that. I stress NOT MUCH. As in (I've only ever found one)

Other than that, one pt. into all curses with some +skills will make you quite the happy camper.

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Necrochild, you actually found a use for Weaken?