Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what compliments a wind druid ?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by smf, Mar 26, 2004.

1. smf

smf IncGamers Member

what compliments a wind druid ?

i play softcore on us east, non-ladder, pvm ... wondering which other skills i should pick up for my wind druid. i have maxed hurricane, tornado and twister, and 10 points in the wind armor.

should i get vines, dire wolves or a bear ? are vines worth it if i only have one point in them? or will i need those points to get an effective bear/wolf summons?

i tried to go the wind/armegedon route with my first druid, but i didn't have enough points left over to make armegedon very viable. so with my 30 or so left over points.. what will give me the best return?

(ive looked through the various articles posted, but they were either pvp concentration or not 'quite' what i was looking for)

2. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Welcome to the Druid Forum!! :D :D

Vines usually aren't worth maxing. Dire Wolves are probably a good choice, but if you haven't maxed Oak Sage yet, I'd go for that first. Max Oak, get some in Dire Wolves. Ten or so should be enough to keep them alive long enough to matter.

Good luck!

3. smf

smf IncGamers Member

thanks for the welcome.

it pays off to max oak sage? 20 points in oak and 10 in dire is better than 10 in oak and 20 in dire ?

4. -CyberBlood-

-CyberBlood- IncGamers Member

Id max oak and Cyclone armour! 1 pt in raven, wolfes and 1 in bear! And with all the +skills with ur gear bear is storng and your only defense!

-CyberBlood-

5. smf

smf IncGamers Member

ok, i just played with a 'test character' i made and i defintally like the vines and summoning skills the druid has.. but i have a couple of questions.

- with the vines, can the druid have all three going at once?

- at what skill level do dire wolves become effective (in hell, without synergies) ?

- at what skill level does the bear become effective (in hell, without synergies)

____

here's my situation now that ive done some quick counting

huricane - 20
    tornado - 20
    twister - 20
    cyclone armor - 4
    artic blast - 1 (prereq)
    oak - 1

im at lvl 65 ..now i figure i have 27 points to spend (with all skill quests, finishing at lvl 85) .. id like to get some wovles and a bear and vines and birds ... but i dont know if ill have enough points to make them effective, and i dont know how high to get my oak and cyclone.. every point in oak and cyclone takes away from my summons, so i really need to find out at which lvl the animals can do ok in hell. :scratch:

i dont have the best gear, but should be able to get +6 to skills pretty easily.

thanks for the input

6. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

finish maxing cyclone armor and rest into oak. that will give you a stronger resistance against elemental attacks and increases your attack spells as well. win win situation.

vines are too weak in hell to do any damage.
    you may want to try dire wolves or bears, but i feel it is a waste of points for a wind druid because you've already used up your main skill points for more important things (more damaging attack wind spells and stronger elemental resistance). If you really want to use summons, then might as well make a hunter/summoner. Might also check out stickels breeder contest.

Put one point in the crows, spirit wolves, dire wolves and bear. With atleast the +4 skills, you'll have the max number of summons, so.. that can be used for a distraction i suppose in PvM. very helpful in PvP.

with that said.
    Welcome to the druid forums!

i like your tar.

7. smf

smf IncGamers Member

i didnt' want the vines for damage as much as the life and mana they leach back to me, thought that might be helpful ... i know i love my one point i have in redemption with my pally.

will one point into wolves and bear really do anything? will the bear or the dire wolves survive for more than a minute or two in hell, at lvl 5 or 7 or so ? i know that with an amazon, the valk gets a significant boots at certain lvls (7 and 17 i believe, something like that) .. is it the same with the wolves and the bear, or is their ability a linear progression as they level?

i think im defitnally going to max cyclone armor for the resistance and damage synergy for tornado (unless i need the points to make dire wolves really fierce at x lvl .. like the valk example) ... that will leave 11 points to spend between summons and oak sage, where i already have one point in oak sage. if a low level bear or wolf will die quickly in hell, ill spend all 11 points in oak sage to keep me alive. though if someone can chime in as to the worth of the life and mana leaching vines i might spend three skill points to get that replinishing.

.. oh and my avatar is one ive had for a couple years at another forum :wave:

8. ~Kazama Fury~

well if you want the summons to survive, you will have to sacrifice pts into oak and the wind tree properly which will cripple your build. the summons are there for a distraction i feel, but even so, a pretty weak one.

you cant compare these summons to a valk or a shadow master, they work differently and has their own uses. just like comparing the vines to redemption. redemption is an aura which can be turned on and off as you please and it recovers both mana and life. for druids, the vine doesnt do both, theres one for mana and the other for life. maxing solar creeper gives you 6% mana recovery. maxing the life one gives you 10. thats nothing. using pots will be the best solution. it does not take up skill points which is needed in the wind tree.

redemption even at lvl 1 does more than those vines maxed combined.

if you really want to have a minion, get a merc.

9. smf

smf IncGamers Member

thanks, that's what i was looking for.. i didnt' know how the druid summons and vines compared to some of the other classes skills that seemed to be simmilar at first.

after i max cyclone armor, i might sacrafice 3 skill points and get birds and dire wovles cause they look cool :lol: and spend the rest in oak sage.

10. ~Kazama Fury~

you can play around with the skill tree in the skill tree planner that can be found on the clan honor website
    www.clan-honor.com

np.

11. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Most wind druids come with a complementary dose of:n00b, JAJAJAJAJA, ***, ***, loser, uber, 1337, noob, newb, woot, pnwd, duh:lol:

My opinion is finish Cyclone Armor, then go OS

12. smf

smf IncGamers Member

when you're just starting, you got to play the builds that are easy to kill and survive with :drink:

i put one point into birds, cause they're sweet.. haha ... and i figure one point off oak sage wont kill my build, but two more points to get my dire wolves might .. hmm, lose two points on OS .. meh, wolves are sweet too

13. memememe173

With a windy, less points in CA isn't as bad, because you're other wind skills work after casting Hurricane, but with fire, if you're casting Geddon a lot, then that's less time you can use you're other skills

14. smf

smf IncGamers Member

so for a wind druid, which is more crucial to max, OS or CA? say the split would be 15/20, one way or the other.

i would still think CA is more important because of the tornado synergy and resistance it gives... though i dont have any expereince with just how good a maxed OS is .. but so far my lvl 5 OS dies a lot, and i dont notice, and i end up not having him ..d'oh .. as you lvl your OS, does he get more hit points ?

15. memememe173

Max CA for more Tornado damage...and yes OS gets more HP as it gets more slvls

16. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Max cyclone, then pump oak. Put 1 pt into ravens as a blinder and distracter. Use an act2 HF merc. Give him a weapon with % to amp and high leech. Deleruim works well on a2 mercs also.

Garbad