Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What class (or skill tree) should D3 get rid of

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Bad Ash, May 26, 2008.

1. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

What class (or skill tree) should D3 get rid of

Hey all-

as we have an awesome "what new char" would you like, how about a what class do you want to see taken out of the game? I think it would be cool to either suggest a class, or a specific skill tree (not specific skills, but the whole tree!) for a character to see your guys' thoughts.

I wouldnt mind if they get rid of the assasin class, or at least the martial arts tree. They could change the martial arts tree to something like "Assainations" and cool things like that (more like the rouge of WoW I guess :p) but sneak kills and fast huge damage for being undectected before attacking would be cool.

I hope they dont get rid of the druid class but wouldnt be surprised if they do!

2. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Re: What class (or skill tree) should D3 get rid of

Pala Combat. Keep the Paladin, just get rid of the Combat skill tree :tongue:

3. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

-Get rid of all the current classes and any class found in WoW.
    -Come up with New classes (3)

Diablo doesn't need a huge selection of classes. What it does need is top quality storyline, action, and interactivity. By keeping the number of classes small, hopefully, blizzard can put more work into the skill affects.

4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I agree that D3 should get rid of all the classes in D2 and start fresh with all new heros. This is the tradition. Imagine if D2 had kept the same rouge, warrior and mage from D1, and also kept their spellbook method the same instead of renovating things to skill tree form. We would then have healer librarian barbs running around using fireball, etc. I mentioned in another thread that the characters from D2 are all played out. It's time for them to retire are be replaced with new ideas.
    I realize that we all have gotten loads of enjoyment from D2, but D3 should be an opportunity to move on. I don't want to see any of the old characters, any skill trees, items with charges that are cast at some low level which become obsolete almost immediately, or any belts or potions. How does someone holding a weapon and shield manage to drink potions while being swarmed by demons anyway? Wouldn't some of the glass bottles get smashed with some hits? It's time to move on to healing spells, more effective armor, and magic items for regenerating life.
    I would say that some of the D2 classes could remain as NPCs in the background of D3like the rouges in D2. I like the idea of having fewer classes with more attention put into each one, but they will likely have more than 7 classes in D3 if they stick to the pattern. People want a game similar to D2, but I want to see a completely different game with the dark atmosphere, variety of playing styles, and some of the better ideas from D2 incorperated.
    Lets face it; barbarians are extremist pure american cheese. We have the Conan movies, a slew of others, and this class is basically the D&D huge guy with the big melee weapon. The LoD expansion characters look very out of place, especially in heavier armor, and many of their skills simply copy the spells/skills from other classes. How could they make a summoner druid tree when there is already a summoner necro tree? The paladin was nothing more than an attempt to be politically correct by having the hero knight in shining armor played by a black guy. The amazon was a good idea, but they made her into an all-american blond dream girl. Too many blacksmiths in D2 are female; again, nothing but political correctedness being barked down our throats. I would say the sorceress and necro were the best ideas, but the necro's armor looks like the ruber costumes used in the Batman & Robin movie. I just hope they get everything right in designing the D3 cast of heros.

5. Mestre Crjspim

Mestre Crjspim IncGamers Member

It seems to me that you didn't even liked Diablo II. You chopped down every single class in the game, except the Sorceress... every single one of them had a flaw, in your opinion.

Barbarians - They are not any product fo American fantasy or idealism. Barabrians are products of Europe's tradition and warfare. In ancient languages barbarian meant "stranger" as foreigner. They were natural from Northern regions of Europe, like Denmark, Sweden or Norway. They were the most fierce fighters in the land, brutal force warriors. They were strong men and even kicked the *** of some Romans back in the days. Vikings are a sort of legacy of the so called "barbarians". So, they are way much older and historic than America... by the time they were fighting and making swords as heavy as horses, America was a rock with 2 or 3 trees and some indians.

Paladins - They are clearly as pure crystal a "allusion" to the Knight Templars. Again, an European history fact. All the "fanatic" following of their beliefs and the "Heaven law". The cross in the armor and much more features related to the Paladins background. This was a good homage to the most skilled warriors of all time. In part they are the first "special forces" men.

Amazons - they were fiersome female fighters of South America native Indians that lived in Matriarchal society. However, in ancient greek legends, Amazons were mentioned. One of the important facts of these particular females was their beauty only compared to their fighting prowess.

Assassins - These are to most ancient bandits that have ever existed. Even among kings and queens that conspired against each other. They are everywhere and in some medieval cities they were the ones in control.

Druids - They are a product of British folklore. Some other cultures have druids as well. In some of them, a Druid would be the spiritual leader of the people... a man, never a woman, that controled the powers of the elements and could comunicate with animals, specially cats, wolfs and some birds.

You're looknig to much beyond Diablo's lore, prefering to ad some policital message or connection to the game. I most definitly prefer to establish some resemblaces and influences of our history in the lore of the game, just to consolidate a storyline and give some veracity to the background.

Maybe a Healing spells skill tree or Healing skills skills tree would be a nice implementation. However, it would ultimately bring us to the Tank/DPS/Healer party. And the belt potions are part of the Diablo identity and gameplay. So I much rather stick to them to them then to swap to healing spells.

6. stillman

Thanks for your input and insight. I guess I do have a rather negative attitude toward many of the components of the game that seem rather cheesy to me. However, I would actually prefer to see some of this folklore or historical backgound showing through in the classes. For instance, I would prefer the amazon to be South American, but the designers (imo) felt pressured to hollywoodize her to add more selling value to the game.
    I believe that there ARE political messages in the game. The designers were (imo) under pressure to have a non-white character in the game. The right thing to do was choose zon, but no, that would make her look less like the perfect american dream girl doll that she is. I agree with you in that the characters are based on historical men and women, but it seems these important connections to history and folklore got pushed aside. What I was saying about the barb, for instance, was that the designers seemed to have givin us the americanized barb that we've already seen in loads of other games/movies instead of the more historically acurate portrayal of the barb that you gave (which would have looked more original). I believe they chose movie man barb to add a comic book style macho hero to the game. Again, all politics to compete with games/entertainment medias out there. Wouldn't it be better if the barb was portrayed as a beserker norseman, who used to aim for the arms and legs and sometimes used mushrooms to boost performance on raids? I think this would have been the better choice than the barb we were given.
    Of couse, the game can't be all reality/history based; there has to be some fantasy elemnets thrown in, but that is what the spells and some skills are for. The characters, to me, look like they're from Marvel comics.
    I guess I'm very fond of originality. I find potions have been overused in games in general. I think some of the ideas for new characters in another thread (like alchemist, time mage, samurai) would be a breath of fresh air due to originality alone. I mean, how many games have alchemist heros compared to the 100's that have a big muscle man hero?
    Finally, I'd like to point out that D1 got the classes right imo. The mage from the east and the look of the rogues were novel ideas for their time.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I struggle to understand the apparent assumption so many have that D3 will just be D2 with tweaked skills, items, classes, and storyline.

8. Mestre Crjspim

Got your point. But I stiil prefer the romantic side of it.

I just recalled, the mage in Diablo 1... wasn't he a black man? If so, do you in him another polictly correct message?

9. tyranius

tyranius IncGamers Member

That healing skill tree is a bad idea man.Potions are one of the main RPG game identities. The healing skill tree would be useless cuz you would heal yourself and not inflict any dmg, wich means you can't play solo. I dont think there are any political messages in the game. They just thought the pally would be better off black. The characters from d2 are pretty good overall. And what's the matter if the druid has a summon tree? His summon tree is very different from the necro's. I hope they create new classes too but I wouldn't mind if the pally could make his come back.

10. Mestre Crjspim

I believe that the Paladin will come back. They are deeply connected with the lore of Diablo, namely with the Zakarum.

11. stillman

I thought that the mage's race choice from D1 was indeed part of the attempt to be politically corect; however, they did it pefectly well. The mage was the mysterious man from the east, he was not your typical skinny old wizzard with the white beard, and he showed contrast to the other two classes. The warrior was your typical hero from other games, but I thought this was Ok so players don't think the game is too different. The rogue and mage showed enough originality in their design to make the game so great.
    It's Ok to be politically correct in games, but I thought it was overdone in D2. It can also be a bit sloppy. Why not have an Asain hero charcater in the game? It would be perfect to have an Asain ninja/samurai in D3, but the main requirement is only to have a black person to fulfill the politically correct standpoint. I feel they just said, "well, one of these heros has to be black, the zon must stay snow white, so it should be the pally to show that we here at Blizzard believe that black people are just as rightous as white people. And, there's no way in hell we're depicting a black person as being savage or animalistic like a barbarian". I know, it all sounds crazy, but here in Canada, every poster I come across in University has to have 2 happy Africain-Canadian men, some white girls right beside them, an Asain, and a native girl sitting cross legged in the middle of them all, smiling radiently. I don't like being bombarded with all this anti-racism promotional stuff. Why can't the poster be two Italian-American students or w/e? Sometimes it just goes too far, imo, and we just want a game instead of a poster of Blizzard's workplace mission statement.
    Tyranius, I think the summoner skill tree is bad when you get into situations with trading summon gcs or discussing summoner builds and we have to distinguish which class. They could have simply called it the conjuring tree. Then there's 'calling' from FF2. Also, I guess my main complaint was that the expansion was their chance for some great new ideas, and I find too many skills were copycats.
    I have to agree with Merick above, just based on the pattern. D2 had all new characters, biomes instead of one large dungeon, and new skill system and storyline different from D1. We all got used to it and loved the game nonetheless.

12. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

Wasnt the Assasin Asian? Also, this is all speculation...we dont know what blizzard was thinking when they made these characters and we cant tell for sure if it was specifically to abolish the people who would say "its racist not to have a black paladin" in the game or if they just thought it fit.

13. SilvusX

SilvusX Banned

to be honest, Skin COLOR does not matter.
    I highly doubt blizzard made amazon blonde just so more people would buy the game. (Unless there are people do jerk off looking at zon, but that would be pretty sad, imo)

Let's not get into, oh blizzard didn't make xx character to xx skin color So its political incorrect or they are racists. Skin color and race should not affect the game at all. If you think they are racists for not putting XX race instead of XX race, then i would say you are racist yourself.

14. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I agree, unless that the healing tree is accessible to all chars.

15. prion

prion IncGamers Member

i've always thought some of the skill trees weren't well developed...

zon jav and spear....no one uses the physical side, lightning strike is basically the mele version of Lfury, there's no significant difference...and oh yeah... "In the dense jungles of her homeland the Amazon has learned how to fight with a giant freakin warpike."

assasin MA.....in the story she's not supposed to use magic but half of this stuff looks too much like magic to me

druid elemental......I actually like these, I think the skills are fun and different and all have a particular use....but it's always been a little bit stupid I mean hurricanes tornadoes and volcanoes are not that small

16. tyranius

tyranius IncGamers Member

dude a healing skill tree? wich skills would that have? hmm let me see... there's Healing Skill... then... what else? nothing. Healing skill tree = bad idea. Besides, you would die ALL the time having to use spells to heal. its much faster drinking a couple of pots. Imagine u fighting and your life going down then u gotta stop attacking to switch to healing skill and heal. Dude that would suck.
    Imagine you want to make a build, but you would still have to spend some points in healing skill tree wich would also suck.
    No skill tree in D3 plz.

17. stillman

Tyranius, I'm sure they could make the healing spells/skills work. There are all kinds of ideas: Healing spells, meditation (similar to regenerate life from D2), ESP/psychic sort of control over one's own blood loss (an idea from D&D, to prevent at least some of the damage), laying of hands, binding wounds (again from D&D to prevent blood loss), time travel to make it as though the injuries never happened, aging spells that age your chr and thus heals faster, eating to heal a bit, toughness (from Warhammer) that reduces damage you take in the first place, magic armor that heals your chr periodically, contortionist/shapechanger ability to temporarily convert another stat like str into life, etc. I admit, some of these are shrewed. Maybe each chr could have their own different healing technique, and a cleric chr could have an array of them. As for the healer/tank party exploit problem, I'm sure they could prevent certain exploits by having some downfall for the healing. Also, there doens't need to be a whole tree for healing.
    I thought it was annoying when I had to go to town all the time for more potions, having to pick up potions, go to inventory, move potions to belt, etc. It consumes a lot of time. The gameplay seems to revolve around the belt too much imo. What if the healing spells could work the same as the potions in D2? It would just be a more realistic concept to have a fighter chanting a magic word to activate it rather than drinking something during an intense battle. You could pay for healing charges similar to paying for potions, without having to deal with the belt so often.

18. prion

prion IncGamers Member

i think one of the main reasons we dont see many clerics is because the holy bolt is not very likely to hit its intended target. It's not for lack of cleric guides, or people wanting to play clerics, or even people wanting to play WITH clerics. It just doesn't work that well in the current game.

19. struikje

struikje IncGamers Member

You are searching for things that aren't there. And why would you care anyway?:D

Btw, would you really like ninjas and samurais in the game? While you are at it, why not add supersayans and aquaman aswell...

20. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Well the easiest to drop IMO is the paladin defensive aura tree. They are far from essential to the paladin.

You could just about drop the whole druid at this point. None of his trees are particularly strong IMO. Though I wish they were cause the character could be pretty cool.

The necro curse tree needs to be revamped. I've never heard of anyone really pumping any points into curses. They're all one point wonders with plus skills.