Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What charms to up??

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Anden, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Anden

Anden IncGamers Member

What charms to up??

Hey all,

After having spend hour after hour in cow-levels with my javazon i have found a great amount of charms and perfect gems, and now the question is this:

Is there a generel rule to what charms to try to up with 3 perf gems in the cube and which not to try?

I tried the other day wit a SC 14 life/ 9% light res. and it turned into a SC 18 life, after this bad experience im looking for some guidence :(

Well if you have any sugestions it would be great......

/Anden

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, it only depends on where you found the charm, not what it previous stats were.

You have to check the item level (either the area or a super unique who dropped it) and then check what stats can spawn on a charm with that level.

The higher the level is, the better stats that can spawn, but the more junk that can spawn on it too.

3. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

in my opinion, the only charms worth rerolling are baal gcs. you'll probably get more for your pgems just trading them than you'll get for any charm you roll from cows. this is based on my experience in USeast ladder. the economy might be different on other realms.

4. Anden

Anden IncGamers Member

Okay, so rerolling cow charms wont bring anything good? BTW how do you see the level of the charm, is it only given by the area?

5. Dawnmaster

There is no legal way to see the level of an item. Only the level of the monster that dropped it (if it is a superunique) or the area where it is dropped (for common monsters).

And it's definatelly worth rerolling lowers charms. For example, to get as close as possible 3/20/15's or 3/20/20's you better not use Baal charms.

6. Shadow Paladin

Shadow Paladin IncGamers Member

Quick question; Am I wasting my time re-rolling Baal Jewels?

7. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

are you kidding? cows are lvl 81, and thus so are their charm. i say roll away. i have plenty of skillers that didnt come from baal, that have nice life on them (30+). my prized elemental 40 life came right from the throne room minions.

i would roll ilvl81 charms without any hesitation.

8. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

in my opinion, the chances of getting a 3/20/15 or 3/20/20 are so low he'd be better off trading his pgems for runes unless he's rich and likes gambling. on east ladder you can get an ist now for 100 pgems or less. i've seen 200 go for hr+. so if he's just starting out he'd probably be better off going with the sure thing.

9. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

The trade forum says a HR goes for 400+ gems. I suppose someone might give one for less for the bulk though.

10. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

people get nutty when they get hooked on rolling. it's good for new players though. you can get pretty decent gear a lot faster than you used to just by saving up those gems.

11. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

hell cow GCs = very good and quite easy to find compared to baal GCs

i usually find 5 hell cow GCs every 3 games on average... i still have 5 on a character waiting for me to get enough pgems to re-roll them.

so far, since i've tried re-rolling and using a bunch of gems, i've gotten:
    +1 pali combat with 36 life
    +1 barb warcries with 37 life
    +1 sorc light with 19 life

and those are the only 3 i've ever bothered to roll. took me about 60 pgems to get all of those re-rolled... and after paying out, i was about 20 ists richer because of my good luck.

it takes a LOT of time... and a LOT of gems. i wouldn't try re-rolling with fewer then 18 pgems to use at a time. it's more exciting when you do a bunch of rolls than just 1 at a time... the chances are the same, but if you do them in a long period of time, the thrill/excitment isn't as much for me.

12. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

im definatly a degenerate gambler when it comes to charm re-rolling. i save up 600 pgems, and re-roll 10 grandcharms, usually about once every 3-4 weeks.

13. Dawnmaster

Chances are greater than getting a skiller with life (the straight odds are even, but skillers require a higher level, thus more chance for other crap mods)
    And as for the buying of those charms, they are as expensive as Annis, so gather atleast 600 pgems to buy one. And I don't think you need 200 or more rerolls to get something that is as close as them.
    Infact, if you farm in the right places (which drop charms very rarely), it takes (on average) about 60 rerolls to get a 32020 (or something that is quite close to it).
    You'll probably see (during the rolls) a lot of 3/xx and 1/xx/xx every 10 to 20 rolls (again, only if you get a charm from the right area, which, again, drop charms very rarely)

14. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

on east ladder a 3/20/20 is worth 4 ists+. so if you're rich, it's worth gambling for one. but if you're just starting out, you'd be better off trading those 180 pgems for 2 ists rather than risk coming away with nothing.

15. Dawnmaster

Maybe, but a legal selfmade 32020 is worth more then a bought dupe. (atleast to some, if not most, people)

It would certainly give me a lot of satisfaction, owning a 32020, and knowing I made it myself. That gives about the same rush as you worship your first selffound highrune :rolleyes:

16. Nephyte

Nephyte IncGamers Member

What is a 3/20/20 exactly?

17. Dawnmaster

Sharp Small Charm of Vita

+3 maximum damage +20 attack rating +20 life

18. Anden

Anden IncGamers Member

Hey all thx for the opinions, i can see now that im not the only one considering whats the best way to go..... Since im kinda rich i think im gonna take the chance and roll away on those charms.... Now my only question left is why those 3/20/20 sc are so valuable, its way beyond me?? :rolleyes:

19. Dawnmaster

Hm, if you don't consider this to be valuable, what do you think is valuable then?

3/20/15 is insane for low level dueling (lvl29) and 3/20/20 is insane for high level chars. 20 life / 5 to all res charms are very valuable too, as are 20 life / 17 mana ones etc. (all small charms)

A single small charm may not be of much use, but, if you have a load of them, it gives you an insane advantage to other players. Remember, you can carry 40 of them in your inventory...

40x 3/20/20= 120 BASE damage 800 BASE attack rating 800 BASE life
    With BASE I mean that it is affected by all enhanced % and skills!
    40x 20/5= 800 BASE life 200 to all res
    You don't need any item with res and you have a lot of life.
    40x 20/17= 800 BASE life 680 BASE mana
    The mana may not seem that overwhelming, but when carrying dual soj, a lidless wall, frostburns, arachnid mesh and a silkweaves you get 115% additional mana, so that 680 becomes 1462 EXTRA mana, and a lot of life.

20. Anden

Anden IncGamers Member

Okay i see the point, but if they each are valued at 4+ ist's then to obtain 40 well you can do the math yourself.... But i guess some people can afford it.... :D