Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What Character to play?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ButterFace, Mar 14, 2004.

1. ButterFace

ButterFace IncGamers Member

What Character to play?

I am begining to get bored with the endless mfing with my Meteorb sorc, my vengence pally was fun for a while but is now stabled until i need some immunes killed, my LF/PJ zon is getting tired, and my FA zon was fun for a while, and well my frenzy barb is just a mess. So, my question is what would be a good, fun, survivable charcter to start. I'm not very rich but i have a few goodies for most classes and could get most of the things i would need. I just cant decide on what character to make. I havent played druids, necros, or assasins much and i might make another barb since my first attempt was a disaster. Any suggestions on characters that you enjoy playing? I might even start HC from scratch to see if i can rekindle the fun.

2. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Hammerdin is a great choice, he can make his way through the game with minimal gear. Tesladin was also pretty fun for a while. The wind druid gave me a chance to play a druid, which I had never done before - it was interesting and is worth a try. Other favourites are the skellimancer and poisonmancer, along with the strafezon.

For HC, the hammerdin and skellimancer would probably fare the best out of the above choices.

3. ButterFace

I thought about the hammerdin because i have some pretty nice gear for one, i just dont know how much fun I would have standing in one spot spinning hammers above my head. I dont know maybe i need to go hc for a while and see what happens. Or i may make a PvP character

4. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

hammerdin seems so utterly boring to me o_o
    doubt i'll ever make one
    an advice tho, the build i've had the most fun with yet is a warcry-iron-conc barb
    something along the lines of max shout bo max conc max (or maybe just around 10, it works good but it simply less convenient) warcry. then one in the passives and one-point-wonder warcries and you got yourself a fun build!
    i think this is the build where i've used the most skills ever (instead of just spamming lightning fury or blessed hammer etc. wich is really boring in the long run). With this one you taunt, howl, battlecry, warcry, grim ward, leap, conc, find item, find potion and berzerk away! it's a blast and you need some strategies to survive :)

5. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I agree with this and wouldn't recommend the Hammerdin as a fun character. He's powerful, indeed, but not fun and can be downright frustrating at times. For example, the archers in the pit are a pain in the butt because you have to position yourself right underneath them to hit. But their new AI always makes them run away from you when you get close. I also don't find standing there hammering away randomly very fun. I find using directional spells and skills much more satisfying such as Lightning Fury or Frozen Orb.

For a fun character you might want to try a Werewolf Druid or maybe a Fireclaw Werebear. The FC Werebear will absolutely desimate any non-fire immune monster in Hell. You can easily do 8-10K fire damage with a constant 4 frame attack. Actually I think the FC Werebear is supposed to be a mainly PvP build(though I played him just for PvM), so he might be an option if you're looking to try PvP.

6. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

mem.. LF and orb arent the most directional spells in the game are they? Theyre more like.. filling-up-the-entire-screen-with-tons-of-icy/lightning-death-skills :p

edit: sometimes when im feeling lazy with my lf zon i dont even aim i just shoot into the wall so it bounces back on the enemies :p now thats tons of fun gameplay right there! :D (or not)

7. Zechs_Zechs

Zechs_Zechs IncGamers Member

if your tired of the same ol' jacks your used too, why not take em' into harcore? I did this once or twice and it was fun to have that extra bit of suspence of knowing if you die, your actually dead.

8. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

9. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

So far I've tried out zealadin, trap assassin, poison necro, wind druid, bonemancer and skelliemancer in 1.10.

Zealadin: He lasted long. I played him from the release of 1.10 until sometime in january. He is a very good and fast killer, but the bad part is that he's item dependant. Very fun to play except when you run into a pack of oblivion knights...

Trap assassin: I used the fire traps as well as death sentry. Not as good on her own as the zealot. After a short while she was really boring to play. Maybe she had been more fun if I made her a hybrid instead.

Poison necro: Really fun build. Can be good with a cheap build. Good for mf:ing as he can clear The pit and areas like that very fast.

Wind druid: Also a fun build. Cyclone armor makes sure you don't die by one hit from the Gloams. A good mf:er as well. I clear Chaos sanctuary in no time with my wind guy. Can be good with a cheap build.

Bonemancer: Very powerful character. Fun to play and he becomes even more fun if you combine the bone skills with some skeletons (this is true for the poison necro as well).

Skelliemancer/summoner: Maybe the character who's the least depending on items in 1.10. Currently I'm in Nightmare with my guy and have no problems at all. With the might aura from the mercenary my skeleton warriors slaughters everything without problems and without mercy.

I hope this can be of some help.

10. adamfgt78

I'll second the Skellimancer. Despite the fact that it seems to be a passive build, it was quite fun to play and effective, too. And more than good enough equipment can be acquired for quite cheaply. The only part that stunk was trying to do the A2 tunnels where there is only room for 1 , maybe 2, skeletons to fight at a time; quite frustrating.

11. adamfgt78

sorry, double post

12. Chronus24

Chronus24 IncGamers Member

No! I've got it! For a serious change of pace and a great boost to your self-esteem (since people will love you), make a hardcore Cleric Pally. There's a fantastic guide in the strategy compendium to get you started. Try a Cleric, its loads of fun.

13. ButterFace

Thanks for the replies. I've started HC and I almost died on the first night....oops. Anyway I think i might try out the skellimancer on norm and maybe a cleric soon on HC the only thing i can see wrong with a cleric is that i dont play with regular people and its hard to find public games worth a dam anymore. I think that HC (if i can stay alive) will be pretty fun for a while. I did the same thing back in .09 and had lots of fun. (except for when i found a buriza and died the next game :( )