Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What Character to choose?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by CubsAce38, Apr 12, 2005.

1. CubsAce38

CubsAce38 IncGamers Member

What Character to choose?

Ok, so I've had this dilemma for the past month or so... I have a 89 hammerdin but he has become VERY boring. Now I don't have the slighest clue of what kind of character to build. I am strickly PvM and I really would want a char who can effectively kill in the pits. I like to MF alot. :lol: This is my 1st post, but I am a frequent looker at the forums. I have found you guys to be very helpful with others questions. Now I'm thowing out a question of my own and hope you guys can give me a fun character to play in the pits!

2. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

Do you want a melee or caster character ?
    iirc, hell pits has lots of fire immunes, which would make it 'difficult' for anything relying on fire damage.
    Not really possible to give an objective answer. Maybe you should read some guides and maybe one will appeal to you.

I personally like necros and druids. Lots of different possibilities.

Let us know what you decide ?
    DelBoy

3. CubsAce38

Yea sorry! I should have specified! I definitly want a caster. I have looked through the guides a bit and figured that a strictly cold sorc can run the other 2 of "the big three" (mauseleom and ancient tunnels) with ease. And with an effective merc they could be ok in the pits. But i do like necros and druids... just not sure what gear i could put on them that would provide of mf, but still enough + skills so they are effective in quickly killing monsters. Is a bone necro a possiblity? A wind druid? A pure orber? So many choices... I'm really up for anything that will be a fun caster to play... hammerdin=boring lol :lol: Keep the feedback coming, I'll probably start my new char tomorrow lol.

4. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 IncGamers Member

Hammerdins are great for Mfing since they are indestructable!

haha.

Bone Necros - great for PvP - but very very gear dependent ( not as good for PvE)

Wind Druid - Similar to Hammerdin - fairly indestructable, a fair bit of fun

Pure orber I wouldnt go for - Orb is great as a back up skill to your primary attack, like say Orb + Meteor, or Orb + Chain Lightning.

Blizz sorcs are fun - but u need friends as u will be used to your hammers killing everything in site - Blizz sorcs cant kill about 30% of the monsters in Hell so u will struggle even with a good merc. if u play with friends who can make up for your cold only damage then they are heaps of fun!

But then again maybe thats what u r looking for a bit more challenge :)

I enjoy all the casters - but they all have their roles.

5. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

Not wishing to pick a fight here, but I found my boner to be a very good PvM character. The previous necro I had was a summoner and the maggot lair and arcane sanctuary are a real pain in the proverbials. The boner was a breeze - first time I've enjoyed taking a necro in those areas. All the monsters just lined up and begged me to use a bone spear on them :)

With a freeze merc, the usual curses, corpse explosion and bone spells, you can take out anything. Slight danger of becoming boring to play, but nothing compared to a spammerdin !!!

For an interesting challenge, I would suggest trying a necro and combine 2 of the 3 necro styles (i.e. summoning, bone, poison). Not enough skill points to combine all 3 effectively, but 2 is fun and varied.

Good luck and have fun

DelBoy

6. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Just make a hybridized summoner. With the right gear, skelliemancers aren't just Hell viable, they kick copious amounts of butt. I'm working on a poison/skelliemancer right now.

Bone Necros are great in PvM. There is a lot more to playing them than just spamming damage spells. Curses make for a much more interesting experience than the other casters IMO. I would build a natural one that doesn't rely on marrow walks since you'll probably want war travs. That and casting bone prison for cheap is fun.

7. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

Poison necro? Thats what I'd do. Strafers are chill too though.

8. CubsAce38

Well I'm going wind druid! Lol. It seems like it is going to be a fun choice! Thanks everyone for all of your help :D

9. hmlyim

hmlyim IncGamers Member

if you just waana do pit run with a caster, i sugg tri-elemebt sorc. definitely can kill everything there:

Chain lighting 20 (preq 2)
    Lighting Masteries 20
    Fire Wall 20 (preq 2)
    Fire Masteries 1
    F. Orb 20 (preq 5)
    Cold Masteries 1
    Static Field 1
    Warmth 1
    Teleport 1 (preq 1)
    mana shield 1
    ----------------
    ttl point 96

with 12 point fm skill quest, you can finish this build at lv 85, not that hard to achieve.

here is the one i am using now ;) :

equipment: tal set (topaz helm, um armor, ist orb), 2xsoj, war traveller 50mf, magefist, 35 fcr spirit, 40MF Gheed
    this setting give mf 300+ and max to light and cold, 105 fcr

mecenaries: act 5 barb, Crainte Vomir 10% pdr, shaftstop 30%pdr, Rockstopper 10%pdr good resistance

this is my first time :rolleyes: giving my suggestion, if there is any math error, tybo, silly thing, pls don't put blame on me :uhhuh:

10. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

I returned to LOD after 18mths with jack stuff and this is the character i use to mf : the bone/summon necro

Max Raise Skeleton
    Max Skelly Mastery
    Max Bone Spirit
    Max Bone Spear
    Max/as many pts into Bone Wall

Its not true that necros are slow in mf - i have zero immunity problems as i am dealing close to 10k physical (might + minions), close to 2.8k magical (spirit), never have to drink a blue and this build is cheap, fun and why just Pit - would u believe me when i tell you this necro can run hell diablo, baal, memp, act 5 ...in fact anywhere u want with relative ease/safety :p Read my guide 'The Bony Magicfinder v1.10' at the necro forum if you wish to know gear/tactics/findings :p Hope i helped .