What character should I start on new ladder?

mouseman

Diabloii.Net Member
What character should I start on new ladder?

Hello everyone!

I'm getting back on DII Europe softcore because of the ladder reset and the fact I'm going nuts if all I do is try to crack the WWI splash screen, hidden images and what not..

I'm looking for a nice build to play. I don't have that much time on my hands, so requirements would be:

1) fun to play from the start (start is lvl 1)
2) doesn't need any gear to be good
3) good doesn't mean the best, just doing my share of the damage in a nice party is enough for me
4) mf option would be nice, but not critical

I'm probably playing for fun to something like level 75 and stop after the ladder becomes swarmed with dupes (am I already too late?). I could stop even after the friday big announcement. So not any massive plans, hours of building or expensive gear needed here.

The ones who are not interested in ramblings of a total stranger, consider this: which is the best build straight from the beginning until level 75?

dulson

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: What character should I start on new ladder?

fishymancer all the way, sorry to be obvious.
easy as you like takes nothing to construct.

Sorcs do suffer from mana problems early on so are no fun to play straightfrom lvl1

mouseman

Diabloii.Net Member

Well fishymancer is obvious, but kinda boring. Although I've never played with it, just corpse explosion necro with bone spear. There just doesn't seem that much to do with summoner necro. And I played mythos with a bloodling guy and that sucked, so.. Is there any excitement to be found in fishymancer?

One of my favorites is firesorc, because it really kicks butt around lvl 12 with fire ball. Although it obsoletes fast in hell, because of all the fire immunes. But sorcs generally I don't have problem with, even if I need to chug mana potions a lot.

chenw

Diabloii.Net Member

I played the hard way, Hammerdin as a starting character, man I so envy Enigma and sorcs lol.

Anyway, hammerdin are excellent once you get them high and good equip, almost unstoppable. AFAIK, only 1 monster in the entire game (save for a few badly spawned unique monsters) is hammerdin resistant (thos yeti things down in the temples in Act 3 hell, they are the only animal monsters i know of that has magic immunity, rest of the magic immunes are either demons or undead), but hammerdin pretty much owns everything else.

However Hammerdin is very frustrating to play with initially, with very little gear that would actually help hammerdin in any respect (the major exception being spirit, paladins can make spirit out of every paladin only shields, while the other chars can only make them out of Monarchs at best), so I recommend maxing out Concentration first when playing early and playing in groups, because at least you are helping the group as well. Who said Max conc at lv 37 hurted anybody?

The Italian Oak

Diabloii.Net Member

I played the hard way, Hammerdin as a starting character, man I so envy Enigma and sorcs lol.

Anyway, hammerdin are excellent once you get them high and good equip, almost unstoppable. AFAIK, only 1 monster in the entire game (save for a few badly spawned unique monsters) is hammerdin resistant (thos yeti things down in the temples in Act 3 hell, they are the only animal monsters i know of that has magic immunity, rest of the magic immunes are either demons or undead), but hammerdin pretty much owns everything else.

However Hammerdin is very frustrating to play with initially, with very little gear that would actually help hammerdin in any respect (the major exception being spirit, paladins can make spirit out of every paladin only shields, while the other chars can only make them out of Monarchs at best), so I recommend maxing out Concentration first when playing early and playing in groups, because at least you are helping the group as well. Who said Max conc at lv 37 hurted anybody?

I totally agree. I started a Hammerdin for the new ladder, and just messing around only lvl 24, but it sucks so bad. I hope it gets better when I get higher

PFSS

Diabloii.Net Member

LF Zon can be made cheaply, and is fun to play if you like an aggressive play style:

For a starter kit just get:

Peace Armor
Crappy +2 Skills Amulet
Any helm with +1 Skills (Peasant Crown?)
Bloodfists until you shop some +2/+3 Skill Gloves
Rings are flexable
Shield - go spirit if you can, but there are plenty of decent cheap shields out there that will also suffice for starting out.

The only real key items are:
Titans (you can get some low damage ones pretty cheaply)
Razortail (though you can prolly hold off on this one a little)

With the exception of strength for the Monarch later on you won't need to re-build you can just switch out gear as and when you find nicer stuff. And while they lack teleport you can get a LOT of FRW without really making sacrafices elsewhere which makes them surprisingly zippy. Last one I made ended up with over 150%FRW to scoot about with.

They kinda suck at %MF, but are good for finding socketed items, charms, jewels and PGs from Cows and Chaos.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I played an untwinked trapsin up to about level 50 in act 3 of nightmare. Mana wasn't too bad since she used sapphires in socketed armor and helm to get extra mana, and she didn't spend even a single point in energy. If you put points into energy, you wouldn't really have mana problems. It was pretty easy and a lot of fun, but after a few weeks, I got a little bored with it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my fishymance, but he was heavily twinked. You say fishymancers are boring, but then immediately admit that you've never played one? Maybe you should try it.

You can play a fire sorc with frozen orb as backup. My level 77 sorc, Frozenball, is doing fine. She can kill any nm act boss in under 30 seconds and killed hell andy by herself (haven't fnished act 2 yet). She is my first ladder character and so is untwinked and uses mostly mf gear (about 180 mf). You could also try nova as a backup skill since it has no synergies.

mouseman

Diabloii.Net Member

Alright I'll let you know what I did :)

I was going to go for HydraOrb sorc, since I have done it before and it was really great. However, I didn't want to do the same build again so I ended up trying the summoner necro :)

It has been great :) It's not boring at all. I played four to five hours one day and ended up in normal baalruns maxing out raise skeleton (maxed) and summon mastery (still ~8 points to go). I've got one point in clay golem, golem mastery and summon resistance. And one point in amplify damage. Basically I got no help, except some WP's, but I managed to kill all the bosses/mobs with party, me being the most useful player in the party usually. Big D was a challenge, with a three player party of lvl 20-somehing characters. I was the highest being 26 I think. It was the only time I lost more than one skeleton in a battle and I lost them all now :)

Anyway, after those eight points to summon mastery, I'm not so sure which way to go. I had this great corpsemancer which used bone spear and CE, so I definetely want to use CE with this build also. However, besides amplify damage I'm completely a noob to curses. Golems - I've got no idea what to do. That goes to skeleton mages and revives also - every build tells different things, but the arguments don't open up to a noob like me because they are all caught up on the "upper levels" of fishymancer builds. So, help if you will? :) (or at least point me at the right direction).

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

The best advice I can give is to read this http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=349093 if you haven't already.

For your skills, Max: Skellies, Skel Mastery, CE. Get one point in: amp, decrepify (for bosses), dim vision (I don't really use this myself), attract (very useful in places like the Hell WSK), clay golem (for bosses), golem mastery. The rest of your skills are completely optional and you could even stop getting skills altogether after this. I started to max Golem Mastery so that I could make a mana golem with iron golem, but I never really finished it since I never had serious mana problems. I ended up wasting about 15 skill points, but my necro can still solo the whole game (including the mini ubers). Your best skill options are probably: golem mastery, bonewall (bone armor synergy) or an attack like bonespear.

You may have questions about gear. First, you must have as much +summoning as you can possibly get. My necro casts skellies at level 43 with level 45 skel mastery. +15 in summoning is probably a good number to shoot for. To start, shop a +3 summoning wand, and get a +3 summoning ammy. As soon as you can, get an Arm of King Leoric and a Homunculus. Next for gear: resists. The only resist you need to max is lightning; the rest are optional. Trying to max all of them is fine except that you only have so many item slots, and you need +skills. The rest is up to you. I went with mf and gf. I think right now he has about +200 mf and +600 gf.

I haven't mentioned stat points yet. The one thing you need to decide is whether you will go for max block or max vita. The Homunculus gives a base of 72% block and +skills and +resists and is the best shield for any summoner. I went with max block.

If/when you can get an enigma, get one. The telestomp is great in PvM and PvP.

Everything I said is taken pretty much directly from the guide since that's what I based my fishy on. My fishy in the last ladder is named Phishymancer. My new one is named Bonefish.

EDIT: Nearly forgot: use an act 2 might mercenary.

Zelator

Diabloii.Net Member

Trapsin...Fireblast + Death sentry for LI's, Mind blast + Cloak of Shadows for complete safety. I'm makin' one atm (HC).

Ahsab (merc) - "IIIIIIIIK!!! - Fana, extra strong, extra fast frenzytaurs!!"

Scripts (my trapsin) - "MWhahahha, Cloak of Shadows make the minions useless, while mindblast puts the boss in stunlock, and also gaining some extra meatshields from the minions, no worries my lil' tank slut-slave" :thumbup: