Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what char to start with

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KillSwitcHR, Apr 29, 2005.

1. KillSwitcHR

KillSwitcHR IncGamers Member

what char to start with

hey ive been thinking of trying out classic ladder and was wondering what char would be fun/good to start with. keep in mind i am starting with no gear at all.

2. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Bruising for a cruising

A barbarian or an Amazon would be ideal (neither are very mana dependent, have good health, and have level 1 skills that can be used until the end of the game). A paladin would be a good second choice (Might aura is weak come NM but to a starting player, it's not bad...you also have prayer to heal yourself so you may not need as many potions). Sorcies and necros are more fun, of course, but for a beginning player on ladder, they require more micro management (not to mention good gear) than it's worth.

3. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

MF sorc. Make a 3D shield and stick 3 Ptopaz in a helm, fill up the rest of the gear as best you can and hit nm mephisto.

4. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

fire sorc and do andy mf runs

5. Noxarcana

Noxarcana IncGamers Member

my first char was a hammerdin, he used a lot of mana pots, but he is a decent mfer with no gear. i guess a fire sorc would be better tho

6. waaaghboss

waaaghboss IncGamers Member

Best charactor to start with is always a sorc.

I wouldnt even bother with a barb till I have decent enough gear to know how to manage his stats. Barbs are MUCH more gear dependent than sorcies.

7. Jezza

Jezza IncGamers Member

Absolutely always start with a sorc. No other character is so versatile without good gear. No other char can mf like a sorc.

Personally I always go fireball sorc to begin, because mf is my main priority when I start out. Some of my friends go blizz, which is a nice killer, but I find andy drops the most good stuff.

This late in the season, people would be giving away shards by the dozens, I know I do. So you should be able to get some cheap, if not free sorc gear.

8. Immortality

Immortality Banned

I started out with a zon... the build got to like to lvl 70 b4 i stoped lvlin her. The build really sucked cuz i just maxed out the fire arrow thing and that really sucked. Zons probably isnt a good char to start out on since good bows are hard to come by.

If u wanna go solo go with necro, i find that summon necros are the most fun to play with because raising armies to do your bidding is quite fun, even though that isnt effective for dueling.

I have to disagree with you guys about starting on Sorcs. Their survivablity is really low, which in my exprience makes it difficult to play with, not even to mention sorcs below lvl 24 suck, expect fire sorcs. You really have to know how to build a sorc correctly to make it fun later on. Dont get me wrong, Sorcs is my favorite char, sorcs probably take the most skill to play, Orb sorcs > Billz, fire sorcs. :D Orb sorc ownz joo all.

Barbs, I find is a good char to start out on, just keep plugin all your stats into vit.. lol.

9. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Confucious say: Not Necessawily...

Bahh...Humbug. He said he wants fun, nothing is more fun (most of the time) than a party, and chars who add something unique to the party are best. Well, that could be a few chars: necros for their curses (not often used anymore with the pumping of synergies), paladins with auras (but expect to only see concentration, and faint if they use cleansing or salvation or arent hammerdins), barbs with warcries (they almost universally have these by lvl 50 or so nowadays), and sorc with hi lvl static and tele (well, at least they can tele).

What Jezza wants is for u to start with a sorc for mf purposes to twink any char that u REALLY want to have fun with. It's true that they are easy to get stuff for. But I think half the fun with a first char on any realm is getting these items along the way. Problem is, when u play with chars in hell games, where the best stuff falls, autopickit cheaters make this ugly.

I usually start with a barb on the ladder, and max bo b4 anything else. If u cant find a good weapon, then scoop up other stuff, even flawless gems in hell to barter for one. Barbs can mf too, although far less efficiently on andy and meph than a sorc - best to consider travincal mf'ing for barbs, to get gold, then gamble, then trade ur gambles.

10. KillSwitcHR

KillSwitcHR IncGamers Member

i dont know anyone who plays classic so i would also need a build that can fight on its own. i dont really want to make an mfer because i dont plan on making other classic chars

11. waaaghboss

waaaghboss IncGamers Member

<i>I have to disagree with you guys about starting on Sorcs. Their survivablity is really low, which in my exprience makes it difficult to play with, not even to mention sorcs below lvl 24 suck, expect fire sorcs.</i>

Ive started from scratch on variour hc realms at least a half dozen times. Trust me, sorc is the way to go.

12. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Then start by posting ur realm and asking around here at this forum if anyone is starting a new char. There is a thread here to do that also. Public games in classic arent that bad, there arent that many games available, maybe 30 in normal on any realm at peak times, and much fewer late at nite.

If u have 389 posts, then u must know how to play LoD. There are fewer builds in classic than LoD that are viable ON THEIR OWN thru hell. Without the +skills items, u wont have as many skills beefed up, so u will have to scrimp on spending skillpoints. Most ppl do this by choosing a very specific build and pumping the synergies to max and ignoring other useful skills. It's harder to do a zon later in the game with this 1.10 patch, and u dont see too many melee pallys either. But that doesnt mean that these chars can't fight on their own. We CANT tell U what to make. U will have to list what U would like to make and ask if those chars are viable....

13. stanzaman

stanzaman IncGamers Member

I would either start with a maul barbarian, or a hammerdin. Either build is pretty powerful, versatile, a good magic finder, and not that equipment dependent.

For the maul barb, just build your standard WW barb. Max WW, Battle orders, mace mastery. Put atleast one point into find item. Put the rest whereever you feel like. Get as much STR as you want (170-200 is a good number if you aren't really sure). Put the rest into Vit. Equipment is not crucial - just look for leech, life, resists, crushing blow, and strength. Angelic set is good too, and cheap. Get the unique light plated boots (Goblintoe) if you can. Weapon is pretty crucial though, that's why I recommend a maul barb, as Steeldriver and Bonesnap are both good enough to get you through hell, and both are pretty cheap and easy to find. You can substitute a good Martel later on if you get your hands on one.

Hammerdin has been covered pretty well already in this forum. Basically, max battle hammers, vigor, blessed aim, and concentration. One point into redemption. Get as much str as you think you need (~75 is good), for dex no more than 51 (shard), and the rest into vit, or a few into energy if you want. Good gear includes things with life, resists, mana, fast cast, skills. Tarnhelm, 3 gem hat, shard, 3 diamond sheild, nightsmoke, magefists/frosties, SOJs, etc. But hammerdins are so overpowered that you could probably run around naked and still own hell. Seriously.

14. phatskat

phatskat Banned

what do u guys think about a poison/summoner? i am gona trade all my lod **** for classic **** and make some chars...i think i could make him work, if not then ill make a hammerdin and sorc too...right?

15. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

You might be able to make him work on expansion, but very doubtful on classic due to the low number of plus skills. Most people pick one skill then stick with it and its synergies. Try Poison, summoning, or bone if you want to go a necro.

16. phatskat

phatskat Banned

pure poison works on classic right? with the poison skills and a cool golem would it make it? this is a char where gear is no object...if it was perfect would he work on classic pvm?

17. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

the lower amount of +skills on classic doesnt matter, considering the monsters are much weaker and have less life. There arent any really godly peiecs of gera on classic, like enigma on xpac, well, except of course for shard :)

18. Immortality

Immortality Banned

Barbs are good for starting out cuz...well they own in the lower lvls.

19. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

I like a hammeradin starting out. Good survivability if u do lots of life and really high dmg.

20. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

I think in expansion you need a sorc to start out. She can pack tons of MF and hit mephisto/andy to drop the high end uniqs. While on classic I am wondering if you could get by with a hammerdin that would be able to go with less mf but hit places like Chaos and Travincle, since high end uniqs dont exist and your just huniting for rares?

What do you guys think?