Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What causes "failed to join game" message?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Cozmo, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Cozmo

Cozmo IncGamers Member

What causes "failed to join game" message?

When I am creating private games for baal runs or whatever, more often then not, after I exit a game and create a new one, I get the above error message. Usually, my second attempt at creating a game is sueccessful. Is this a common issue or is it something with my install? I'm certain it isn't my internet connection because I have no problems in-game. This is Ladder/US East.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I have the same problem. It happens when creating a new game or entering an existing one right after leaving one. AFAIK some part of bnet still thinks your character is in a game, so creating or joining a new one will fail. Take more time with that. Type name and password of the game, then wait perhaps 5 seconds.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

It happens when the hamsters get tried of running in the wheel and take a rest. Sometimes it takes a tech guy a few seconds to notice and zap the little buggers to get the server going again.

4. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

Just like the beer commercial with the hamster running a wheel looking at a beer bottle. The hamster powered a whole city...

on topic: Someone accidently pulled the plug...

5. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

It's entirely possible that you're moving too quickly - though I don't think it's because the game thinks your character is still inside a game, but rather, it watches how much time you've spent between games. If it's less than a certain amount of time, it thinks that you're a bot, and gives you the old FTJ screen.

6. zodwizard

zodwizard IncGamers Member

I've had the same problem.. not only with my game, but ones I try to join that are hosted by others.

Logging out of bnet and diablo, then restarting the game works, as does switching to a different character. I don't restart or rejoin games very fast and I still seem to hang once in a while.

Zodwizard

7. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Server strain, eh? Not enough server space to keep D2 players happy.

8. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

I don't think ftj are a bot measure, i think its a server error. Temp restrictions I can see as the bot methods, since you get those from moving too quickly. FTJ seem to happen when something goes wrong; a game unexpectedly drops, or when you exit a game in the middle of lag. This would indicate a server erroneously storing the character data as being logged into a game, therefore you cannot create a new game. I have had some success in joining a game where you can't create, and then being able to create thereafter. However, there is still a wait to be able to join a game when an ftj hits.

Sometimes after creating a game, and trying to create a new one will trigger an ftj, but right after you can create a diff game with a diff name than the one you just got hit with an ftj. This is the shortest type of ftj I've run into. Most ftj persist for approx 10 mins in my experience.]

Also, some ftjs can be consistently triggered if your bncache.dat file becomes corrupted. I have it set up so that whenever I start DII, a .bat file is run to del the save files, the bncache.dat files and the .log files. Deleting the log files keeps the folder a bit more tidy, whereas deleting the bncache.dat file will minimize any mismatched data errors. The save files I delete just in case theres a chance they can become corrupted similarly to the bncache.dat file, however I've never run into any issue with them.