Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What can help improve my HF Merc's Auras?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Jackson, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

What can help improve my HF Merc's Auras?

I know +all skills work, so does Battle Command, but is there a specific branch of skills that will help the HF aura also?

2. iamapoorman

iamapoorman IncGamers Member

IMHO once HF mercs get to high levels, their HF aura will kick ***. No need to make it "better". Why don't you instead consider getting DR gear (like Shaftstop or Vampire Gaze) or maybe even leech + DR (like Andariel's Visage + Glad's Bane)? Two of my high level HF mercs use those gear and have no problem tanking even Listler in hell mode. Weapon used by both mercs are eth Bonehew (amn + amn). You have better odds of increasing your HF merc's survival not by improving his HF aura but rather making him able to absorb damage or leech better.

3. Aron Figaro

Aron Figaro IncGamers Member

Best thing to give a merc's holy freeze a kick while also handing him an awesome weapon is to give him an Arioc's Needle. I love those. :)

4. Absolutian

Absolutian IncGamers Member

Hey, Jackson

The answer, as I understand it, is interesting, and surprising. Aside from "+ to all skills", you can boost the merc skill by matching the merc skill tab, with ANY classes skill tab....as long as it's in the same position. The classic example is putting a +3 warcry sword on the A3 cold merc. This boosts the cold spells by 3. In fact, the a2 defiance merc is THE way to test this: put a polearm or circlet boosting his skills, and you can see your defence increase in your character window.

For the HF merc, that's an pal offensive aura, so a polearm with + barb masteries would boost that aura. I have a Meat Scraper with the +3 masteries, which would to me be a significant boost to the HF aura....roughly a 2 yard increase in the radius, not to mention the help with the damage.

What I want to know: If I put a +Warcries polearm on my a2 defiance merc, will that also boost his Jab, since that's the same tab position as the jav/spear skills? Anyone think of a way to test?

Here's a full listing, that I think I got from a post by alainppp. (He's advising how to equip the a3 mercs, so it's organized for that). I consult it often:

"Here's the total list:

A3 Cold Merc:
    Elemental
    Warcries
    Summoning (necro)
    Martial Arts
    Jav/Spear
    Defensive Auras

A3 Fire Merc:
    Summoning (druid)
    Combat Skills(barb)
    Curses