Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What build is most suitable for newbie?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Lyndis, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What build is most suitable for newbie?

I'm new to D2 and I think I want a barb as my second character (my first is a sorc who is getting her butt kicked right now). Assume that my barb will play with basically nothing but what he finds, so he can't really count on using uniques/set items. What kind of barb should he be? Is there a guide for a completely untwinked barb geared towards both survival but also is able to get to bosses quickly (even if not kill them quickly?) so maybe he can do some countess runs in the future for some runes.

2. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

I would suggest IK set.
    All items but armor can be traded for pgems, so its fairly easy to get and you will manage in hell.

The armor can be trade for UM. If you are lucky you get one from nm or hell HF

Look at http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=164067 for an IK barb guide

3. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

I find a zealot easier to play untwinked.All you need is a semi decent hitting stick and some kind of shield and youve got a start.The skills you add to are always the same unlike a barb who untwinked has to rely on having or guaranteed getting a certain weapon class to make it to end game.

Zealots can use any weapon class without restriction to damage.This makes for a lot of versatility in gear selection as you progress through the game.

4. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

yes maybe so, but since he was posting in the barb forum, I assumed he was asking the best barb build for a newbie....maybe I assumed wrong.......

5. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Yea I noticed that also.My main point is that barbs can be a little difficult to build untwinked.I considered the op wants a strong char thats easy to adapt to the gear they find,so I suggested a zealot.Sorry if it seemed ot.

6. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Well, I only have like 2 pgems, so I don't think I'll be getting IK any time soon :( Besides, if I need to make it to Hell hellforge to get Um for the armor, isn;'t it too late by then since I've already played thru most of the game?

Again, what untwinked barb build can work? This game is very poorly designed if certain classes are unplayable first starting out. They might as well not let you select the barbarian then.

7. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

Ive played most melee characters untwinked and its pretty much feasible; of course there are ones that are easier than others, but then again, there are ones that you will like better than the others.

Playin untwinked barbarians, you must have in mind that choosing a weapon masterie before reaching hell may be a bad choice, due to the fact that you must be in hell to find the weapon you are probably going to use (maybe you are lucky on late nightmare though) untill the end. But this is not the end of the world; even if its easier with a weapon mastery from the start, you could do well w/o it.

I like frenzy for pvm and I think that this skill suits a new player well, but my opinion is biased. Another nice opition is WW; even thought this skill is a bit tricky to use, it can keep the weapon option wider for you to choose, based on what you find.

8. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Hal's Conc Guide is a good start for stat build. I used it - worked good for me.
    Like you, I started off with nothing, but I also knew that playing on the realms and doing a few boss runs etc. I would find something to trade for better gear. Sure, elite gear is probably out of the question. I ended up with
    a combination of stuff I found and traded for. IK helm, boots gloves and belt, pretty easy to come by (not armor lol). Duriels shell, found. Gimmershed was the end- game weapon and I traded a skill charm for that, which you are bound to find skill charms in Nightmare anyway (sweet for upgrading your gear in trades). I actually got to act5 hell with some sigons still on lol.
    Like uvatha said, mastery choice could be a pain, but I knew I wanted axe since I wanted to duel occasionally when I got to a higher lvl and, well, axes are a good choice for that and for more reasons I care to get into. I still say go shield/weapon for the sake of survivability, especially without top-notch gear.
    So with that in mind...
    1 Watch your resistance, use some runes if you must in plain old open socket items if you get hosed alot by the elements.
    2 save your good trade items for the best weapon you can get
    3 If you go axe - roll some cube blood recipies!
    4 Save your Larzuk socket quests for hell
    5 If you get really bored with conc as I did, Whirlwind is a great secondary attack. You don't need Iron skin if your player vs monster, so you can still max conc and BO and have a little room to play around with the other fun and interesting skills.
    6 Oh yeah, use the Nightmare act2 Merc with the "Might" aura- that'll help.

Good Luck

9. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

So I should go and kill Andariel over and over again with my new barb or something and hope for some decent stuff to trade up?

10. KJunk

KJunk IncGamers Member

Haha Barloc, your experience sounds just like mine.

I decided my first hardcore character was going to be a conc barb. My goal has simply been to just take on everything in the game. I made it all the way to hell act 1 just fine still wearing mostly gear from normal difficulty. I've spent a few days just doing Countess and Pit Runs and now I've upgraded almost all of my gear. Still using a Sigon's Guard shield with a PDiamond in it tho :p Now that I've got all my resists maxed, am pushing 2500 health with max block and have a Gimmershred I think I'm ready to push through the rest of the game.

Recommendations...

Make safety amulets! I got pretty lucky with a +1 to barb skills, 27 life 19 resist all with magic/dmg reduction that has 7% block.

Blood axes are good too, but it'll take a while before you're high enough level to be finding Berserker Axes to make them with. Consider some of the lower level Runeword weapons that are cheap but effective.

The 'Smoke' runeword may seem like a caster item but it's cheap and the defense bonus/resists are very nice on an elite armor if you've made it all the way to hell without getting a good chest piece otherwise.

My only qualm with the build so far is that there's little room for MFing with it unless you have amazing gear. Countess runs have been no problem though, and I think in the long run I'll be able to handle some of the other crazy boss fights if I can get ahold of a few more crushing blow, IAS and something with lifetap charges.

Conc barb works for sure. If you're playing untwinked I'd recommend sinking a few more points in Natural Resistance and going Weapon Mastery before Shout as your AR may be hurting more otherwise.

11. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

To be honest with you - I played through hardcore with a bow barb. kuko was my best friend, after some loving person gave it to me.

what i am trying to say is - if a barb can go untwinked with a bow through hardcore to lvl 92, you don't even need to worry about anything!

or just do what classic barbs do - max polearm mastery and keep looking for better ones as you go.

12. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Well, I would suggest playing through the game the best you can, for as far as you can. But I think if you would expect to play though Hell successfully, without doing any runs at all, you'd have one heck of a hard time finishing solo.

13. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

One way ticket to your survival. Crushing blow equipment.

You can literally find Guil face and goblintoe in normal so keep slaying norm baal all over and over again.

I have killed hell level monsters with CTA flails by accident so CB is a good thing eh ? Granted Guil face and goblintoe is very paladin style equipment but the crushing blow will let u sacrifice some damage gear for mf to get better stuff.

14. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Some of the easiest Barbarian builds to play are those partly based on a (near) maxed Warcry for the stun.

When you can stun almost everything things become easier.

I don't recommend an actual Singer since they require some pretty specific gear (once they have it they are dead easy to play though).

Instead you can choose between a Warcry/Berserk "Shock and Awe" build or perhaps a Warcry/Frenzy if you like dualwielding.

The modus operandi is quite simple. Cry until the nearby monsters are comfortanly stunned then whip out your attack skill and kill. With heavy crowd control you don't need to necessarily have lot of expensive defensive gear and it is a bit less important to reach the last IAS breakpoint or whatnot.

15. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Hmm, tell me more about how stunning monsters work. When i warcry them will they just stand still and let me bash them in safety?

16. Noctes

Noctes IncGamers Member

hi, also as a barb newbie almost untwinked (was twinked for normal only, not nightmare, and even less hell),
    i'm going to do a ww barb+shield, but i'd like some specification, in which order to max skills?

-ww first, then battle order, then shout ? (or other ?)

-what kind of shield is ok for hell ? the best i can do for now is a sigeon with a diamond, or the runeword shield with resists and magic find,or a 4perfect diamond shield.

-what skill to improve after that : between berserk, iron skin & natural resist which are all set to 1 for now ?

thx

17. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

Barbs have some great survival skills! If you use them you can make it through the game untwinked with pretty much any build (well, singer might be hard.)

Here are some one point wonders(you put more in some of these for some builds) that you should get to know and love:

Berserk (causes you to do magic damage, but sets defense to 0.) Use this on physical immunes or around the dreaded oblivion knights.

Battle commands (raise all skills by one for a time)

Battle cry (reduce defense and damage of monsters)

Warcry(put as much as you can here-stuns enemies)

Howl- radius effect, causes monsters to flee

Taunt-use against shooter/caster monsters to force them to stop
    ranged attacks and come to you.

Grim Ward- sets up an area howl effect from a monster corpse. This can help keep a safe zone set up for you

Here are your "hork" skills, important for an untwinked barb:

Find Potion- chance of getting potions from monster corpses. After you get find item use it instead of find potion.
    Find Item- chance of getting more items (another drop) from monster corpses. ONly one point except for a dedicated magic finder.

Have you checked out the guides? Even though some of them may emphasize godly gear you don't have to have such elite items. You will find a lot of good tips there.

My first untwinked barb was a whirlwind barb.

Here are some places to use your find item skill (hork):

Some good hork locations for boss types are Act1 Bone Ash(Inner cloister WP and run inside a little ways), Act 2 FireEye(Arcane WP and run through portal), Act 3 Trav Council and the 2 close small temple type areas(they will usually have a unique). Act3 StoryEye(Take Lower Kurast WP and run towards the jungle, just through the gates), Act5 Pindle, Eldrich, and Treshsocket. Might as well take care of Shenk while you are there even though you can't hork him.

Also note that you can hork all of Baal's minion bosses except for the last wave. Just kill the wave boss before you kill the last of his cohorts and hork him. If you do this in a public Baal run of course someone else will snag the drop.

Area runs-ACT1 pits, mauseleum, crypt (hey, its not 85 but it is right by mauseleum. ACT2 ancient tunnels. If your merc has MF, switch to your dual babbas and let merc get kill on the bosses when possible, which is lots of the time especially in the undead areas.

Oh, UM may seem a long away away but collect and cube flawless gems into perfect gems. 25-35 perfects (I don't know what realm you are on) can be traded for a Pul. You can trade 2 Pul's for an UM and you are there. :)