Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What build for this sword (pic inside)...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by KillJoyBob, Mar 15, 2005.

1. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob Diabloii.Net Member

What build for this sword (pic inside)...

I've recently found this sword. I was wondering what build would be best suited for it, assuming I can ever get my hands on a Zod.

[​IMG]

(Please don't tell me the eBOtD is better, I already know that. I wouldn't build that cheesy weapon even if I had the runes)

2. DudSpud

DudSpud Diabloii.Net Member

That is a sweet sword, too bad no repair mod. Before the Zod, you could give it to an A5 merc for a sorc, because they don't benefit much from auras. BPs are 11 IAS for 16 FPA and 22 IAS for 15 FPA, so unless you give any off weapon IAS, he'll be swing a little slow. Unless, of course, you upped it to elite, when 16 IAS gets you 13 FPA. And then its pretty heavy (163 str/103 dex).

Even with a shael, you don't hit the last whirlwind BP, so again it seems too slow. Sadly, I can't think of a build to fit around this sword.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

3. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

Well... it wouldn't be a good whirlwind weapon because there's no Increased attack speed on the weapon itself... this rules it out for furry druids too. Assasins use claws, mostly and paladins should really be wearing a shield:) this doesn't seem like the build for a melee sorceress or necromancer...Maybe a frenzy barb... Even if it is kind of slow you could get enough IAS to reach a decent attack rate, and the sword does good damage and has a nice Attack rating bonus... that said if you get a Zod runes the most rare item in the game you can do better than this sword.. still nice though...

Oh, and an ethereal Breath Of The Dying would be better:)

4. KillJoyBob

Thanks for the feedback.

I was wondering if it this would be a good sword for a Concentration and/or Berserk Barbarian.

I wish Paladins could wield two-handed swords, in one hand after a certain strength threshold (say 200). I'm itching to make a Martyr. Unfortunately, in 1.10 a Paladin without a shield would be difficult to pull off.

Chimaira, thanks for not mentioning the eBotD. ;)

5. DistortedRiff

DistortedRiff Diabloii.Net Member

You could use it on a crusader, the +AR would be a good help and the +damage is good as well.

(upgraded of course)

6. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

I think it would make an excellent Concentrate barb weapon... but I really like Hals guide that emphazises making the concentrate barb a living tank... maximising resists/defence/life etc and without a shield...Berserk would also be nice... massive damage=dead critters, bit of a glascannon though.

7. KillJoyBob

DistortedRiff,

I actually did think about Charge, but the "Charge bug" coupled with the absence of a shield seems very painful. Although, a fully synergized Crusader can do in excess of 2200% (w/ might merc and str. bonus) just in off-weapon ED. Easily 10K average damage. Throw in DS and CB, and it will be very impressive.

Chimaira,

I'm familiar with Halciet's Conc guide, that's what I was leaning towards. However, I'll probably use a shield (as the guide recommends).

8. slappy sam

slappy sam Diabloii.Net Member

When you up it you lose the ethereal bonus, just so you know.

9. KillJoyBob

Where did you get that from? I've upgraded a lot of Ethereal items, they always remain Ethereal. :rolleyes:

10. Suiginto

Suiginto Diabloii.Net Member

Okay, Ethereal weapons DO NOT lose their ethereal property as armor does hence why rare ethereal crystal swords wtih elite mods on them make great weapons when you upgrade them as weapons will not lose their ethereal property

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

IMO that weapon is not worth upgrading. Only barbs can make use of it because it's two-handed and it will have high dex reqs which e.g. a druid won't be willing to meet. Because it has no IAS, it's useless for WW barbs. Concentration barbs might use it, but they would have to wear more IAS items than necessary.

The Oath runeword adds more IAS and more %ed and that runeword costs Mal, Pul and an ethereal weapon with 4 sockets or the potential to get 4 from Larzuk. IMO rare weapons must be better than that runeword in order to be worth upgrading. Leech isn't that important, as there are lots of items that will provide enough of it.

12. Fearoth

Fearoth Diabloii.Net Member

Right, this is a kickass sword for a concentrate/zerk barb. when upped it becomes a champion sword which is -10, u wont need too much ias to hit a 10 fpa bp with it (too lazy to check how much but if u want i can do it). Fools at high lvl gives an ungodly amount of AR, which allows u to wear ravens/highlord.

13. KillJoyBob

Oath runeword.

30% Chance To Cast Level 20 Bone Spirit On Striking
    Indestructible
    +50% Increased Attack Speed
    +210-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +75% Damage To Demons
    +100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +10 To Energy
    +10-15 Magic Absorb (varies)
    Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine (20 Charges)
    Level 17 Iron Golem (14 Charges)

You're right about the IAS. As far as pure damage goes no way is Oath doing more damage. First off, the chances of getting a higher (than 300) ED% with Oath is only 31%. Even assuming a perfect Oath (340% ED), this weapon will be very competative. There are two reasons:

1. The +Max damage from the Fool's prefix will increase you damage on par with the extra 40% on-weapon ED. Let's assume a Conc Barb can get 1100% in off-weapon ED (i.e. skill, synergies, Might merc, & str boosts). At clvl 90, Fool's will add +45 to max damage, which translates to 540 more damage (45 * 12). Given the base average damage for an Ethereal Champion sword is 115.5, then 40% more on-weapon ED will translate to 46.2 more damage (before the off-weapon ED multiplier). That's 554.4 more final damage. At higher clvl the rare weapon will actually do more damage.

2. This weapon will also add a ton of AR. This means that it'll connect a hell of a lot more than an Oath sword. At the very least, it'll free up the Angelic set slots, allowing the use of HighLord's for 35+% chance of DS (again translating to more damage). That's 35% more total physical damage. So a weapon doing 6K average damage will now be doing 8.2K average damage.

Besides not everybody plays Ladder on Bnet.

14. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy Diabloii.Net Member

It would really be nice for both concentrate/berserk barbs... but a conc. barb really should be built defensively, so I suggest making a berserk barb with all out ar / max dam... 1 hit kill or die trying...

- Dennis